Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anyone with a 580 sl?

ckinser1 ยท 2015-04-18 20:48

Well I have run out of options I can't find what four wires go to in my side panel next to my ignition switch. I have four wires going to the ignition switch plus a center ground. I believe the ignition switch is OK. I have no power to most of my fuses but not all. The ones that are dead seem to be tied to the relay switches. My switches for the lights can't operate those relay switches because there is no power getting to them. All but one of the relays has power. The machine runs fine but like I have said before I have no lights of any sort or horn. I would like to find out what the four wires go to before I proceed much further. If anyone knows what feeds the switches that are in the console that would be a help as well. If by chance anyone has a 580sl I would be forever great full for some help.

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2015-04-18 21:53

    According to the manual, there are 5 wires to ign switch + ground. Battery - red & light blue stripe Ign - orange & white stripe ACC - orange & black stripe ACC2 - white & red stripe Start - yellow & white stripe Ground - black

  2. #2ckinser12015-04-18 23:42

    Thank you all man. I should be able to get it straight with that. I do know one of my wires is orange with a black stripe that is not hooked up. I will see what all they did but this should put me in good shape. Can't thank you enough. A little knowledge sure saves allot of time

  3. #3ckinser12015-04-19 21:18

    OK going to ask your help all man for just a little bit more. I have front lights now but my back lights are still dead. My color codes are a little different as my starter line was white with a red stripe not yellow with a white stripe. I hooked up the orange and black stripe which gave me power to the front lights. I have three wires left. One which is gray with a red stripe. It is dead with the key on or off so I suspect this is the other accessory circuit. The other two lines have power when the key is turned on. Both are yellow with white stripes. One shows 12.5 volts and the other 10.5. I believe they go to the instrument cluster as I have no reading from the water temp or the oil temp. I was planning on checking for continuity if I knew where the sensors are located. Any help you can give would be great.

  4. #4alrman2015-04-19 23:29

    Sorry the manual I have doesn't show a grey with red stripe wire. Can you see any numbers on the wires? That may shed some more light on the matter. (edit) There are 3 power relays. All three are activated by ACC orange/black wire #4 . K3 relay supplies power to rear work lights & both front & rear (if air cab) wiper motors The eng temp sender is at the front of the cyl head, right behind near where the top hose is fitted. There are 2 switches - one fitted with a nut = temperature gauge one with a push on terminal = temperature alarm The transmission temp - I can't recall 100% where fitted - do you have shuttle or power shift? Look for the oil cooler hoses. I'm sure it is near there.

  5. #5ckinser12015-04-20 01:30

    Thanks all man I found the water sensors just wasn't sure as there was two of them. So what does the acc2 circuit power? I currently do not have that circuit powered but I have everything but the rear lights working at least I think. My relay box shows three powers relays and a rear light relay. I have a shuttle shift on a series one 590sl with a open rops. Thanks again for all your help

  6. #6alrman2015-04-20 03:26

    K2 is supposed to power the front flood lamps ?? & cab heater blower .....

  7. #7ckinser12015-04-20 07:27

    I will try to see if the switch is powering to the rear light relay and if I have power at the switch. If I do then the problem must be a bad relay. If I don't then I expect hooking up that gray and red wire will get power to it. I am just glad I got most of this figured out with your help. I even got to add my school bus fan. My cab is open but it does have a front windshield and at one point it had PVC doors and enclosure like a jeep. Who thought that was a good idea I don't know as it doesn't have a blower or ventilation.