Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

BEST grease for backhoe

good-dog ยท 2015-04-18 17:50

Have a 110 John Deere tlb backhoe what is the best grease to use for all the pivot points. The manual says to use a all purpose NLGI grade NO#2 or a high temp EP grease. But I can buy a $5.00 to $12'00 tube saying the same thing. I thought of using Lucas X-TRA heavy duty grease Any thoughts

Replies11
  1. #1willie592015-04-18 23:00

    The Lucas grease you mentioned would work well for bearings, front steering joints, u-joints, rear axle bearing. But for the pin/bushings on the loader and backhoe, it would work fine, but a preferred grease for pin/bushings joints is a grease that has molybdenum disulphide (moly grease).

  2. #2Fatjay2015-04-18 23:30

    I'm no pro but I think as long as you keep it greased you're good. My garden tractors get it quarterly, my hoe will get it every time I dig for the main joints, and the rest on the quarterly schedule.

  3. #3ol' Grump2015-04-19 08:59

    I've pretty much settled on Power Punch grease for just about everything.

  4. #4Dickjr.2015-04-19 11:32

    I use a grease from my Komatsu dealer, I think its made by Castrol. Blue in color and its has the moly in it. I do know you can't wear that stuff off of you. Its that sticky. I'll see If I can't find out more about it. Its relatively reasonable as well 30 bucks a case or so.

  5. #5D Grade2015-04-19 14:19

    We use 5 Moly grease at Caterpillar.

  6. #6Landclearer2015-04-19 15:19

    Shell Gadus and it has moly.

  7. #7ckinser12015-04-19 16:41

    My new to me backhoe has very old grease in it. I am currently shooting some cheap traveler moly grease in it to help get rid of all the super thick grease. This is cheap grease which is very thin but should work well for the purpose of cleaning out the works. I plan on repacking everything with some high quality grease next week.

  8. #8maddog2015-04-20 08:11

    I feel that what is more important then name brand grease is just keeping things greased. I have used TSC stuff for years when it goes on sale it's less then $1.50 a tube(usually they have a sale once a year). I have run excavators, small dozers, tractors, my small dump trk, riding mower, sawmill, cars, boats trailers, and so on.... use it for everything, never had an issue

  9. #9tylermckee2015-04-20 09:47

    I use chevron ultra duty, buy it in a 40 pack from the local distributor, think it's between $2.50-3 a tube.

  10. #10ckinser12015-04-20 09:54

    I would agree with mad dog that the cheap stuff from tractor supply works good but I think you have to lube allot. A high percent molly will work better over time with less greasing required. For farm implement like harrows that you are more trying to keep out dirt I think the cheap stuff is the better way to go. For high pressure points like pins I think a high quality moly is better. Just my two cents.

  11. #11D Grade2015-04-24 22:28

    I completely agree.