Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone with a cat 311?

drew good ยท 2021-12-23 14:24

Getting back to work on our cat 311 and was wondering if anyone had one they could take a resistance reading on the governor actuator motor. Would like to know what the resistance between pin 4 and 5 on the motor plug. Mine was reading 285k ohms and the one I bought off of ebay was around 400k ohms. If I'm reading the manual correctly it should be between 2-3 ohms. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2021-12-23 15:27

    Got a Part Number for the actuator motor.? I would like to check the specifications, 2-3 ohms seems awfull low.

  2. #2drew good2021-12-23 16:27

    415496 or 41-5496 is the part number ordered. Here is a pic of the owner's manual where is show the actr at the top , think it looks like it should read 2-3 ohms? Thanks

  3. #3Nige2021-12-23 16:50

    Concur with the Part Number 4I-5496. Nothing regarding its spec in all the normal places. Does the manual that you took the photo have a reference number on the cover.? It will be 4 letters followed by 4 digits (e.g. SENR1234) if it has one. This is how it's shown on all the electrical schematics. Across which two terminals were you measuring the resistance.?

  4. #4drew good2021-12-23 17:00

    I was measuring on pins 4 and 5. The number on the manual I have is senr6124-01.

  5. #5Nige2021-12-24 06:20

    OK, found SENR6124. My opinion is that the resistance marked on the abbreviated control schematic could be the one shown on the signal circuit to the left side of my illustration. However the part of the actuator where the signal is detected is not shown. I think what you measure across Pins 4 & 5 is likely the resistance of the motor armature, and that's going to be a lot more than 2-3 ohms IMO. Either that, or the resistance numbers on the SENR6124 illustration could be wrong.