I have a JCB 1400b s/n 14bt4098/339268/7 that I have to replace hydraulic line # 615/44200 to the backhoe control. Question is how much fluid will I loose when removing line, will it drain the reservoir down to line level? What is the best way to do the swap? ( the highlighted line)
Just get some steel caps to cap the line quickly as you undo the ends. Also cap the fittings it is attached to. Then tie a suitable wire to the hose and pull it out. Leave the wire in the machine to tie the new hose to and pull the new one back in. I have JIC caps and plugs with an eye welded to the end to attach the wire to for ease of use. I don’t know how much oil you will lose
Maybe sticking a shop vac hose in the filler would help stop the fluid from running out. Not in the oil, just enough to put a vacuum on the reservoir.
I have been thinking of digging a trench about 2 foot deep to put front tires in so hydraulic reservoir would be lower than the loader control input, not sure if it would help?
First and foremost I know nothing about JCBs however on my 555E I have changed many hydraulic lines both on the loader side and backhoe side as well as everywhere in between. I have never had an issue with losing huge amounts of oil other than what is in the line. Remember when the machine is off oil should not be pumping and the valves should be closed. The only time this is not the case is if you are changing a line that is directly tied to the reservoir tank. If that’s the case get some plastic plugs and hurry up and put them on when you disconnect the line.
As expensive as oil is, why take a chance on losing it ? Why not just drain the hydraulic tank ? I usually cut the ends off of old hoses. Then I remove crimped sleeve and hose under it and weld the barb closed. It is a very frugal (cheap) way to plug or cap hydraulic fittings.