I am looking at a 2007 JD 650J LGP I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should take note of. Never bought a dozer, only leased.
a bit more info please You need to check the U/C out real good. Remember LGP wear out faster the more you turn. If its a Xrental unit, get a good deal cuz she been ran hard. If you don't know how to check the U/C get some one who knows to check it out. Or do a search on this forum for "rails" or "tracks" or "undercarriage" one of them should work
pull oil sample's of all compartments and send off to a lab.
Brushmaster, I'd pay a qualified guy to assess the machine...temperatures,pressures,steering,track wear all need to be assessed properly. An LGP machine is generally only useful in certain applications...ensure that LGP is what's needed for your work. I'm dismantling an LGP machine now...& the condition of the cover plates & bolts is terrible from wet,muddy swamp work.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to drive up tommorow and look at it, If I like it I think ime gonna have a buddy of mine(hes a mechnic) go inspect it as well. Just dont wana waste his time if I myself dont see anything wrong with it. My only concern as of now is its size, its a tad on the small side for some of our jobs but yet just right for some of our jobs.
We purchased a used 650 G in January and paid about $300 for a JD tech guy to come out and complete a condition report. It was very detailed and useful. He also talked me through what he was doing and made suggestions as he went along. I'm glad went that route. We ended up buying the machine and the report was helpful in negotiating a fair price and in outlining what I needed to focus on maintenance wise.
Thanks Loggermc and all others I decided not to buy it. It was nice had forestry package and everything on it. I just think it was a little small for us. Ime gonna keep my eye out for something a little bigger. Till then Ile be using the skid steer and doing it the hard way.
650g is a decent amount bigger than most skids. That seems like a decent step up to me.
Yeh, ime just looking for one with a forestry package and a winch. I take that back ive reconsidered the oppritunity mainly cause I can trade a car as well for it and I dont wana part with the car but my fiance tells me its gotta leave soon anyway The 650j was checked out by my mechnic today with no problems. Its really a nice unit with forestry package, cab with ac/heat, and winch. Ime tempted. If I can barder with the guy some forestry work an a old car witch we talked about and some cash I might do it. And still be able to turn around and sell the dozer after I use it a few times, and make moeny on it. I am really thinking........its tempting
As you may soon learn cab's and forestry packages are not the best of combos. Price out door glass before you do any serous woods work, especially with employees. A friend runs a 750c cab & forestry in the woods and I thinkhe told me it was $1,800 for a door glass...
If dozers are like tractors, and I expect they are, then I agree 100%
The inspection is very important one mistake i have seen is someone just moving back and forth and turning a little. Let them warm up then work it and get everthing up to temp and see what it does then.
Hwllo all! New member here. I have been reading the forums and decided to join, seems like a lot of good info! Reading this thread with interest because I am also looking at a purchase.
Can tell it is first thing in the morning, misspelled "hello" first off, do not see an edit feature?
Please excuse me, but I did want to post a new thread and newbies must post 3 times before starting a new thread, so I am gettin er done!
WOW, never thought of that, pray to god I dont need to worry to soon. I already shook in the deal. Picks coming soon.
Yeh my buddy said he ran it to working temp. And this guy is a great mechnic, I fully trust his oppion
well if you buy the glass from the dealer.....that's why people refer to them as "stealers" I just replaced the front top glass on my excavator (stupid limb), made a cardboard pattern and took it to my local glass shop. 150 bucks for tempered safety glass. Aye, if it's curved glass though, ya you're stuck with the oem glass and a dealer. All these new model dozers and such forth look great with their sexy curved glass cabs
LOL stupid limbs, we do brush clearing so i replaced a several cab glasses on skid steers and forestry mulchers. The cardboard is a very good idea. I think I might just borrow that idea if I ever need to replace some glass on the dozer.
yeah when I purchased my (new to me) excavator, the previous owner had replaced all the glass at some point with plexiglass.....good lord it was so scratched and cloudy. Thought to myself, lets put real glass back in so you can see out of it, ummm yeah priced factory glass, woulda thought it was like the gold plated visors in the helmets the astronauts wear, lol. Tempered safety glass will take a pretty good licking before it breaks....but when it does, you have 10 million pieces of glass to get up :laugh If while you have the glass out, you put some tinting film on it....kinda keeps it all together to some degree. I found this out on my Kubota tractor when a (stupid rock) :tong flew out from the bush hog and smacked my door glass, luckily I had had them tinted so it stayed intact. Had no choice but to get a factory replacement because of the (sexy curved) door glass fortunately the dealer had some take off doors from the DOT in stock because they replaced them with lexan for their boom mowers...so he gave it me on the cheap. On an aside.....they don't even have metal frames on the doors, it's just a big old piece of sexy curved tempered safety glass with a rubber seal around it....was kinda surprised. But that's how strong it is.....well as long as you don't smack them with (stupid) foreign objects
Wait ime confused. Why does DOT need lexan. I run 3 tractors and a excavator with boom mowers and none of them require lexan. My operators have had no major problems without it. I have had to replace a few broken pieces of glass over the years but its no problem when you can go buy one of ebay or something and put it on myself.
Most likely the Department of Transportation. Sometimes referred to as the Highway Department. Maybe they think Lexan isn't as dangerous to the operators when it takes a hit from something the mower throws (at the glass). That is just my guess.