I have an Apache Bullseye 5+ that I use for my excavators. It has the plumb and level sensor so it works great for what I need. The other day I was using it and it acted like the batteries were dead. That seemed strange because they had not been in that long. I changed the batteries and then it worked great for about 10 minutes and then acted like the batteries were dead again. Normally when I turn it off and back on all the lights light up unless the batteries are weak. If I take the batteries out and put them back in then all lights come on at start up, but otherwise it acts like the batteries are going dead. I tried multiple sets of batteries from different brands with the same results. It looks like I may have to send it in. I really like this receiver, but am debating if I am better off having it fixed or just replaced with new. The repair cost is unknown until I send it in and they will just fix it and then bill me. What are your recommendations- have it fixed or buy new? A new one is about $1600 and I would then have NiMH batteries instead of Alkaline. If I knew it would only cost $500 to fix the old one I would go that route.
i had two 5+'s. I really liked those receivers. I thought Apache was bought out, I looked up after reading this thread and you can still buy them as stated.
I think Spectra and Apache are the same.
I was going to bring my Apache receiver in for repair, and when I powered it up at the shop it came right on, so I set up my laser and it worked perfectly. I then remembered that when it was giving trouble, I was working under power lines. I wonder if there was stray voltage that threw it off. For some reason my small hand held receiver was working under the lines, so I had my son follow with the grade stick. My Apache has a wider area to catch the laser signal, so I am wondering if that is why it might be more prone to interference.
Apache is owned by Trimble as far as I know.