Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Laser questions

Jakebreak · 2023-01-02 11:52

So I have been doing a little more side work than what I have done in years past. I have been thinking about buying a laser setup at work we use top con dual slope laser which I am familiar with. Most of my side jobs have been building roads and putting asphalt grindings down or some pads and horse arenas right now I just eye ball it and use my engineers ruler and monocular to make it work. So my question is what would be a good laser setup also if it’s possible to get some kind of grade indicator to go on a skip loader, a blade and a dozer. I rent the skip loaders so I was thinking if their was a way to make a mount that was magnetic to put on a skip loader that is removable and the same for the dozer and a blade any thoughts

Replies6
  1. #1FarmWrench2023-01-03 15:21

    I have a Spectra (Trimble?) Has a magnet mount for the receiver. It's an ebay special and taken a lot of abuse. Getting glitchy.

  2. #2Jakebreak2023-01-03 15:59

    Have you been happy with the spectra laser is your mount used on an excavator or a box blade

  3. #3CM19952023-01-03 19:23

    A Topcon RL-H5A self leveling laser is a great tool for the price. We have 3 of them and have used them for years setting grade and laying pipe. You can buy a kit including tri-pod and grade rod for around $800.

  4. #4Jakebreak2023-01-03 21:39

    Gotcha have you ever used it with a pole mounted to a skip loader or a box blade hooked to your track steer with a receiver to indicate grade as your working or am I getting a 2d system confused with a grade indicate system. I seen that you have gotten into the 3d systems how’s that been working for you so far. I’m trying to find something that will work so I can be a little more efficient

  5. #5CM19952023-01-04 19:32

    I haven't used our Topcon like that. We have a Spectra GL622 dual slope with pole mounted receivers for our Cat box blade that works automatically wired up on 2 279D's. However that system cost around $15K a couple of years ago and worth every penny if you are doing a lot of slab and parking lot prep. Depending on the size of the base rock it can achieve 1/2" tolerance in finish grade very quickly on flat or single slope surfaces. 3D GPS is a game changer for a whole site solution, costly and worth the price IMO.

  6. #6FarmWrench2023-01-05 06:31

    Form farm use it's been ok. Receiver has taken a swim in a tile ditch a few times too many. I'm looking at something newer but not actually looking. The detector was small for a machine mount. Angle iron painted silver and then with headlight paint and an engineering scale painted on is what I use in hole. (It's always dark here in NY when I'm digging.)