Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Apprenticeships.

YoungOne ยท 2007-09-29 08:24

What do you guys think of these? Can anyone give me some websites on the east-coast possibly to apply for? Would theyhelp me get a good job. Just looking for some info. Thanks. GONNA MAKE IT ONE DAY!:usa

Replies30
  1. #1what_stanger?2007-09-29 09:29

    They're great. Yes they'll help you get a good job. link to the international - www.iuoe.org search for a local near you - http://www.iuoe.org/link_system/local_links.asp local 77 Suitland, MD http://www.iuoelocal77.com local 99 Washingtin, DC http://www.iuoelocal99.org/ local 147 Norfolk, VA http://www.iuoe147.org/ note that local 99 is a stationary local. probably not what you're interested in.

  2. #2RollOver Pete2007-09-29 22:45

    Welcome Stranger...:drinkup

  3. #3what_stanger?2007-09-30 09:39

    thanks Pete. although if you check again its stanger, as in mustang. No big deal. Everyone on all the forums I register on call me stranger, except for mustang forums!

  4. #4RollOver Pete2007-09-30 11:49

    Oops... My bad.....:beatsme

  5. #5Countryboy2007-09-30 20:39

    Welcome to HEF what stanger?! :drinkup

  6. #6CascadeScaper2007-10-01 00:59

    I'm applying for an apprenticeship right now for a local operator's union. Hopefully I make it in, they should teach me everything I haven't learned thus far to put me in the big leagues. I would like to get on a grader or dozer and do finish grade work eventually, we'll see what happens.

  7. #7what_stanger?2007-10-01 12:02

    cascade, Although it may not happen from the get go, eventually no matter what you'll be able to train on the grader and become proficient on it. Somewhere down the line you'll be doing work on a motor grader. As an apprentice around here, I have to take whatever job I'm called for. Its ok with me though, for now. I'd like to get a job with one of the major dirt movers around here, but a lot of guys keep telling me to get my crane certs.

  8. #8what_stanger?2007-10-01 12:19

    cascade, Just to clarify, I wasn't saying you're not good on a motor grader. I'm just saying that its possible you'll be called for work on something other than a motor grader. If work is there take it. There is always time to train on the motor grader down the line. I think you knew what I was saying anyhow.:usa

  9. #9CascadeScaper2007-10-02 01:37

    I don't plan on being in the union forever, I just want to get in, make some money for a few years, learn what I need to learn, then get started on my own gig "back home". I have a fair amount of experience for only being the ripe age of 21 that I am, but with annual training requirements that need to be met at the training grounds I should be able to get enough experience on a grader there, if not on a jobsite, to get the experience I want. I look at it this way, nobody would let me TOUCH a grader right now, I've never been on one. But, if I get into the union, I'll at least have the chance to train on one. At least I can say I tried it out.

  10. #10YoungOne2007-10-02 05:31

    The closest apprenticeship for me requires a class A cdl just to apply -Michael-

  11. #11what_stanger?2007-10-02 11:09

    hmmm, what local is that? Mine offers CDL training in our apprenticeship program.

  12. #12CascadeScaper2007-10-02 12:58

    Yeah, same here. We don't need a CDL to apply, but you can go through training. That's strange that they require a class A.

  13. #13YoungOne2007-10-02 13:49

    And sucks majorly pretty much ruins my hopes of applying. Put in 14 applications this week. -Michael-

  14. #14YoungOne2007-10-02 13:51

    Norfolk Va

  15. #15CascadeScaper2007-10-02 16:40

    That's so bogus, how do they expect the younger generation to jump in and fill the jobs? Local unions here are advertising on the radio for apprentices and journeyman, there will be a shortage of operaters in 10-15 years easy. Puts us younger guys in the running for some good coin and solid employment.

  16. #16YoungOne2007-10-03 07:50

    Yeah tell me about it. Just another thing make it harder for me. But i'll MAKE IT! -Michael-:usa

  17. #17Buckethead2007-10-03 12:57

    Young, do they have any truck driving schools that help you get a CDL by you? Maybe you could go through one of those first and then apply?

  18. #18what_stanger?2007-10-03 13:00

    yeah man, I'd get my CDL and apply. It'll be worth it in the long run. You could also try applying at another local. Most have resources to get members their CDL. There is certainly no shortage by me. Everybody and their brother wants in this union trader over here.

  19. #19YoungOne2007-10-03 18:40

    yeah but i have to go through the whole " See if the papers for the army will go through this process " The school's about 45 minutes away. Provides housing and mileage repaying. -Michael-

  20. #20cat3002007-10-04 23:09

    anyone know any unions around the pa area?

  21. #21Electra_Glide2007-10-05 07:59

    99.9% certain this is the correct one: http://www.iuoe66.org/home.html Joe

  22. #22cat3002007-10-05 16:16

    i took the union test but they said my results were 2 low? cuz it was like a college board test had nothing to do with operating but ok. if anyone knows anyone hiring around the pittsburg area let me know

  23. #23CascadeScaper2007-10-06 04:07

    Yeah, I know you have to pass the math and reading stuff. I have to test here in a couple months, we'll see how it goes. I'm in college level math after I had to take one math class that was below 100 level last year, I'm not TOO worried about the math. I don't think I'm going to come across anything that I haven't seen in my surveying class, there's quite a bit of math involved there and I'm not doing too bad thus far.

  24. #24tylermckee2007-10-06 14:05

    All you have to do to get into the union here is have 2 years of experience, pass some basic tests on whatever equipment you can run, then wait for a call. You can go to the training site and take their 'practical' tests which moves you up on the out of work list. I did it all and got a call for work but I've got a better job now so i said no. I just turned 21 so its not impossible.

  25. #25dirtwhore2007-10-20 22:52

    Personally i think apprentiship programs are awesome. How else can we get some new blood in the seat?! I didnt go through a real program myself. I spent 2 years working in the woods after high school, and during break up one spring a large contractor starting building a new highway in front of my house. I went and applied for a job as a laborer/operator and they hired me on the spot. Spent 4years with them and a couple years with another outfit, then went and signed the Out of Work list at Local 370 in Spokane. 2 weeks later I got a call and went to work for the company I'm with now. Thats been 5 years now. Just transferd to Local302 this summer. Best move of my life! Jason

  26. #26Countryboy2007-10-21 19:42

    Welcome to HEF dirtwhore! :drinkup

  27. #27MonsterToys2007-11-13 09:34

    Welcome guys! There's some great information on my blog that might of interest to those getting into the construction / heavy equipment industry: http://monstertoys.blogspot.com/2007/11/heavy-equipment-scholarships-for-young.html http://monstertoys.blogspot.com/2007/11/heavy-equipment-simulator-used-for.html :usa

  28. #28BLmon2013-03-22 15:47

    hey i was wondering if anyone got aceppted into the local 66 operating engineers apprenticeship in the past year ??

  29. #29BLmon2013-03-22 16:38

    Dose anyone know anything about getting into local 66 an or has recently...

  30. #30jmason2013-03-26 08:59

    Yea, It took me three tries 40 years ago, however I have had a good career and will be retiring with a very good pension and 401K type plan!! Don't give up. If you want to operate construction equipment, will travel, and have some skill after your training you will do well!! The shortage of operators is here now!!!! Local 66 is building a new training site class room and shop building. They most likely build the shell cracker plant in Beaver that will take seven years and 10,000 construction jobs to complete. IUOE 66 takes applications usually in January & February of the year. & is very competitive. They want the smartest and most trainable people. You won't be just driving a backhoe around. Wages contractor pays they want very skilled operators! Don't give up the first try, you get more points every time you apply. Good luck!!