Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Apps -that connect people wanting fill, and those that need to get rid of it

PeterG ยท 2022-12-16 12:24

Not sure where to post this. Anyone using apps to find free locations to dump excavated dirt, and for locating sources for when they need free fill dirt. Quite a few of these apps out there. Mostly I've been using craigslist. So which is the best app? Of note, I'm in Seattle WA.

Replies8
  1. #1redneckracin2022-12-16 12:37

    I don't know, but I'd sure sign up for one!

  2. #2skyking12022-12-16 12:57

    There are several caveats involving spoils. If there's any chance that it is contaminated material, now liability enters the picture. If permitting is required to fill an area, once again, liability shows up. If an entity or homeowner says yeah dump that load here and you haul 100 yards in there only to find out that there was no permit. Guess what? It's your logo on the side of the truck. If the neighbors call, that's who they're going to mention. You may or may not get named in an enforcement action. Those are just some of the details that I investigate before I try and get rid of material.

  3. #3mitch5042022-12-16 13:40

    A friend of mine allowed a local dishonest contractor to fill in a pond. Some of the concrete had asbestos on it. My friend ended up losing the business and land to the clean up costs. The contractor denied dumping the asbestos.

  4. #4PeterG2022-12-16 14:35

    We're not talking here about quantity of dirt, quality of dirt, permitting etc . This is just about the app. The apps are like dating ups. Just connecting people wanting dirt, and people getting rid of dirt. Not sure how the apps work, some are free, and some you pay. One of the big ones is called SOIL CONNECT.

  5. #5skyking12022-12-16 14:45

    I figure you're up north in Seattle, but there is really handy site here in Tacoma. Tucci and sons McCord will take clean concrete, asphalt, and good material with no organics for free.

  6. #6PeterG2022-12-16 15:26

    Good to know. But I'm in Maple Valley. Most jobs are 100 yards or less. Not looking to drive far. Not working in the city of Seattle. Biggest concern is a heavy truck damaging driveways....

  7. #7skyking12022-12-16 15:30

    Yes, that's a big deal. One of the most annoying cutesy features was when they pour that little radius point on the end of a concrete driveway, like that's going to stay? LOL

  8. #8Jumbo2022-12-16 17:54

    Maple Valley; Girard in Covington might take spoils. Kombol in Black Diamond might take them. Cadman in Black Diamond (Kummer bridge) does takes spoils. I would shy away from any app since you never know who is sponsoring and as other have pointed out an innocent mistake can cost you big bucks and even your company. Recently, a fellow dumped 5 yards of potentially contaminated soil on a KC ROW. The county was contacted (with photos) and he is out of a company and looking at jail time as it turns out there were contaminants in the load.