Ok guys, I need to weld up a dump body for one of the guys i work for. I need to weld up some of the bracing on the gate that cracked. Its your standard issue flat bottom box on a Kenworth tri-axle. The Bossman says "It's a special order box, its made out of AR400". Now I really didnt think of it at the time but do they actually build entire dump bodys out of AR400? Or is it just the walls and floor thats AR? It seems like a hell of a waste (and a hell of alot of money!) to build all the bracing and such out abrasion resistant plate. I'll know if its AR as soon as i strike an arc on it but im sure one of you guys can clue me in before i break out the 7018
I would say it is only the walls and floor that is AR400, I agree with you that to build the whole thing out of AR400 would be a waste and expensive. We have on OX Body Bed that came with the Hardox option, it is only the walls and floor.
Hmm... What's the difference between striking an arc hardox or T1 or mild steel? Never really noticed one.:beatsme
Me either. If you can tell the difference, why not just strike an arc and see for sure.
Oh i can just smell the difference in the weld!!! No really, i can. AR plate is high in chromium so it produces a sweet smell very similar to what you get when welding stainless steel. That sweet smell is hexavalent chromium which can cause respitory related issues and alergic reactions. You shoud slap on a respirator with the appropriate filter when welding high chromium content metals.
Yeah, galvanized gives off a distinct smell too. I have noticed when AR400 is new, it's pretty scaley. I really don't like it for our rock grapples because you can get some crazy cracks. In 1" plate you'll see a crack across a section and look on the other side and the crack will exit several inches over from the outside one. The plate bascially gets split like the pages of a book.