LW models? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AYwLzwGReU
I was born in the year this movie was made. I suspect all these gents have gone to their eternal reward. Back then, men were men, eh? How many of these 'new age truckers' would have the balls to take this on?
LRSW Macks Sure are beautiful trucks Same as St Lawrence Seaway Macks Some of these ended up out here on the coast of British Columbia and went into the logging industry.
I thought they looked the same as the St. Lawrence trucks. Too bad they did not have decent sound technology back then.
And what about those guys on the dozers with no cabs! Hope that job paid well.
That was pre-stinking OSHA.
Great video, what engine and trans did they have. Thanks for sharing
Yair . . . This may be of interest for some folks . . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant_Early_Warning_Line Cheers.
I wasn't thinking so much about the safety aspect, but more on the lack of heat! At least in the winter they didn't have the mosquitoes to deal with!
Running trucks and equipment in that kind of temperature extreme would be quite a challenge even in modern days. Back then, it took some real gonads. Lots of respect for those fine gents back in the day. As for the engine, until HDX reappears, I believe the engines were big V8 Cummins?
Most of this series came with a 275 HP Supercharged NHBS Cummins engine -- Planidrive rear axles and a Duplex trans 4 Speed main and a 2 Speed aux
At about the 50 second mark the narrator says they are 600HP..PR??,mistake ??....did they have a engine then capable of making that kind of power ?? non the less I like the story and the trucks and have watched it before...
If they were 600 HP back in those days, I would think they ran some type of specialized automatic trans. to hold that much torque.
Thought I heard the narrator say they had Clarke transmissions
16v71 was over 600 HP and those are some pretty big trucks so it might have fit in there. In one shot they had some engine noise that sounded vaguely Detroit-like but who knows if it was real or just added later.
Single exhaust stack and location of it make me think its a inline engine.....
Thought I heard an air starter there, could it be 16V 71?
Definitely an air starter, but you could get them for about any engine made. I remember back in the early 60's when I was a kid, the logging companies in the northern part of my state, Maine, had them on their B model Macks, inline 6 cylinder motors. Scared the crap out of me the first time I heard one spin over. They worked good as long as you had air. I think they were made by Ingersol Rand. George
Yair . . . In the 'sixties Macks had air start and Cats had pilot motors and ran on "black fuel", they were "American" iron, unique and "different"and, in that era, the best there ever was. I can not recall ever having any problems with the airstart . . . tyre air could be dumped back into tank if needs be. I googled those Macks and they were standard with 275 hp with options to 300, I can't see how they could need or utilize 600 hp under those conditions. Cheers.
We should have known all along that HDX was right.
I wasn't questioning what HDX said I was however questioning the narrator claiming they were 600HP..Considering traction or lack of,the inclines,the speed they would be going and the final drive ratio of those rear ends 600HP just didn't seem to make much sense.Fuel consumption I am sure was on everybodys mind as well...
Sound logic for sure. I would think an Allison or other automatic trans would have been a better spec than a manual for the same reason.
Yair . . . In Australia anyway any form of Auto/powershift was unavailable (as far as I am aware) in 1956. The nearest thing we had were some 'orrible preselectors in some of the Pommy trucks. Cheers.
I think the narrator thought the Cummins NHBS 600 meant 600 HP......
Cummins maybe good engine but that might be a bit of a stretch!
I was the one who posted the film on YouTube. Those trucks DID have Cummins V-12's rated at 600 hp. I am not sure, because I have heard that they were either the very early V-1710 or maybe an up-rated V-1486 cu in V-12. I know they were specialy uprated for the specs on these trucks. I have seen 525 hp V-12 Cummins from mid-late 1950's Dart tandem axle 50 ton dump truck, and I think its based on two 743's or 855's in a V-configuration... no turbo... so my guess is that these trucks had a turbocharged version of these engines. I will try to get some pics of the engine in the old Dart, its not far from home.
GREAT to hear from you. Now I have to wonder if they used a Dart stacker engine with some upgrades and a different cam. But then again, wouldn't that be like dancing with the devil? A Mack Truck with a PACCAR engine? Kinda like the story of the new hybrid Peterbilt truck with a Freightliner engine. They called it a Peterliner. ROFL!