Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skagit BU-50 friction issue, need HEF input!

Hallback ยท 2015-06-05 10:49

The mainline friction is giving me fits, it will not engage fully to get the mainline tight or release to allow the drum to free spool. I have checked the air ram for operation & it has full stroke & the drum does turn into the friction blocks as it should. Is there something I am missing?

Replies7
  1. #1Hallback2015-06-06 09:41

    Anyone?

  2. #2Vigilant2015-06-06 10:42

    I don't know if this will help or not, but I will offer it: Talk with an old, seasoned cable shovel operator who knows air controls on a shovel pretty well. They didn't have electronics back then, but there are some similarities. They could work wonders with vinegar and baby powder, for example. If that does not work, I suggest more beer.

  3. #3Blk prince2015-06-06 15:01

    Does this drum have a band brake or friction blocks with 2 bolts per block. Way back when,I worked on few Skagit Yarders with broken return springs. May not be same set-up

  4. #4Hallback2015-06-06 23:09

    Has a band brake and friction blocks. The drum actually "cams" into the blocks for engagement on these machines.

  5. #5lg junior2015-06-06 23:33

    I had a similar problem with a manual friction Skagit. When you pulled the lever it turned a screw that pushed a brass pin in to shift the drum and friction together. The brass pin would get mushroomed in the hole and would not move freely. I don't know if the air frictions would have a similar problem, but might be worth a look.

  6. #6Tugger2015-06-07 09:41

    Has the machine sat idle for a long time or do you use it regularly?Some of the older friction stuff ive run across has had wood blocks in the frictions ,they get rotton in our climate from sitting,then they disintegrate the first time you use them. The drum bearings or bushings might be worn,making the drum drag . http://www.morgan.ca/common/pagedetail.aspx?PageCode=z_Drawworks_Blocks .These guys have done frictions on winches and cranes for me,they had wood blocks for a Tyee winch for me in a week.

  7. #7Hallback2015-06-07 16:31

    Thanks guys! It sat for 5-6 years