Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are excavators from UK much different than North America?

Canadian_digger · 2020-03-23 16:46

Seen a nice Hitachi ZX85USB-5 at auction. So I went to take a look at it and was interested in bidding on it. Until I called the dealer and found it’s a grey market machine imported from the UK. I was pretty disappointed to hear that as it’s tier 3 and looks just like the hitachi in North America. Should one stay away from these just like the ones imported from China? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Replies15
  1. #1skata2020-03-23 18:49

    What's wrong being tier 3?

  2. #2CM19952020-03-23 18:52

    I thought the UK went to Tier 4 when or before the US did?

  3. #3JD955SC2020-03-23 18:52

    Parts/service is the question that needs to be answered before buying a grey market machine. Your dealer may not be able to get certain parts for it or may even be unwilling to support it

  4. #4Canadian_digger2020-03-23 19:27

    Sorry my wording is a little confusing. I like it because it’s tier 3 and disappointed that’s it’s grey market.

  5. #5Canadian_digger2020-03-23 19:30

    I thought the same thing??? Plain old muffler on it. Now you got me thinking Maybe it was deleted?

  6. #6CM19952020-03-23 19:34

    The machine may have not been made for the UK or European market which puts a bigger "?" on it.

  7. #7skata2020-03-23 21:36

    Are parts that different than US models ?

  8. #8Nige2020-03-24 09:30

    Get the Serial Number and run it by your local Hitachi dealer. If it pops up in their system at least you know you would be able to get parts for it. I'm not sure that the Euro equivalent to TIER 3 (Euro 4 I think) even required any form of exhaust aftertreatment system. In fact all of our TIER 3 engines (non-regulated market) have nothing whatsoever between the engine and the exhaust pipe outlet apart from a muffler.

  9. #9John C.2020-03-24 11:46

    I don't recall any exhaust treatment on Tier 3 engines on any brands. Hitachi has always been good for gray market parts. In that time frame I could get a part out of Japan in less than a week when a Komatsu might take a month or more and nothing was available for a Cat. When in doubt, pick up the phone and start asking questions of the part people.

  10. #10Nige2020-03-24 11:54

    I think you're right. AFAIK the treatment started with TIER 4 Interim - the famous DPF, and then TIER 4 Final with full exhaust gas treatment, EGR Cooler, using DEF, etc, etc.

  11. #11dozr2020-03-25 02:08

    i thought deer bought hitachi,

  12. #12Mother Deuce2020-03-25 03:19

    Nope it is a 32 year joint venture. Unless they just did it recently.

  13. #13mitch5042020-03-25 09:51

    Yeah, certain Deere hoes are made by Hitachi, and certain size Hitachis are made by Deere.

  14. #14Kartal2020-03-25 12:29

    Hitachi sells ZX85USB-5 in US, but in Europe they sell ZX85USB-5A. They've different models of Yanmar engines with different power, 4TNV98 and 4TNV94 respectively. Attached you can see brochures for comparison.

  15. #1592U 34062020-03-25 13:13

    I spent a brief stint at a Hitachi dealer early on in my career. We actually did have a grey market unit or 2 come through the doors while I was there. I do remember it being a bit of a PITA to track down the correct parts for them as they aren't really "standard" to what is normally sold in the region. Deere/Hitachi are for the most part identical aside from paint, logo on the seat and the logo in the menu. The smaller Deere hoes use (or did use, not up to date on the products anymore) JD engines rather than the Isuzu. I have been told by lifelong Pumpkin Patch mechanics that the JD engine was more reliable than the smaller Isuzu diesels.