I'm looking for a new-to-me excavator, and see some that need tracks and chains, which I don't mind if the price is good, nothing ticks me off more than seeing new inferior parts on a machine. this way I can buy a good set and not worry. Are chains for steel pads fairly universal? from the rubber tracked machines I read that basically the pitch and the number of links is needed. Can I put dozer chains on an excavator? I like the idea of lubed links
Its not likely that you can easily put dozer chains on a excavator, but some excavator chains are lubricated. Excavators usually have a higher rail height than a dozer. The track pad bolt pattern will also change with track pitch and width. Generally the most cost effective way to repair undercarriage is to re-use the track pads on the new rails. However, you can replace the sprocket and get a different pitch of rail, which will usually require new track pads too. (For example, if you wanted a 300 class undercarriage on a 250 size machine) Your best bet is to see what excavator your interested in replacing track chains on, and check your options from your suppliers. You will likely need some new sprockets, and check the condition of the rollers and idlers too. Berco is a decent aftermarket brand. Cat has a few different quality grades of undercarriage available too.
Depending on the make and model I think there are several excavators that use the same links as dozers but universal, not a chance.