I was looking for doors for a 96 426B backhoe , I could'nt find any anywhere. I looked all over for parts machines , some of the pictures were of totally burned machines. I asked how the machine caught on fire, assuming a fuel leak, the guy said it was a high pressure hydraulic line broke near the engine. I went and bought fire extinguisers for my backhoe and dumptruck good ones for $130 bucks. Installed near the door easily accessable. At least I have something to throw at a fire instead of standing there watching it burn.
I hope they are bigger than the one in these pics.
If you have insurance think about how far along the fire is before you try to put it out. Is it safer to let it burn and get a total replacement or take a chance on someone getting hurt and winding up with a repaired piece of equipment. Had a truck burn once and put it out, had minor burns on hands from opening hood. Insurance had the truck repaired but it was never right after the fire. Now that I look back on it I should have gotten out the hot dogs and marshmallows. and gotten a replacement truck in the end.
Dwan has the right idea, spend the cash on insurance and let it burn. If you are lucky enough to put it out, and not get yourself hurt, the machine is never going to be the same
you should see part 2 im posting in the excavator thread this time the operator did the smart thing and got off and called the fd
First thing for fire prevention is keeping the machine clean of oil and hydraulic fluid, once oily hydraulic lines catch on fire it is gone, if the area is clean there is usually a chance of putting it out or it not flaming up from an electrical malfunction.
also for skid steers and guys working in the woods weather for a job occasionally or all the time keep the leaves and twigs off the turbo pretty good fires can start there
Speaking of fire extinguishers. I noticed that 2 of mine had the nozzles plugged by dirt daubers. Might want to check yours if they are stored where the critters can get to them. I look at the guages all the time, but hadn't looked in the nozzles.
fire extinguisers YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, AS A LOT OF POLICIES HAVE A CLAUSE (FINE PRINT) THAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE AND QUANITY OF FIRE EXTINGISERS ON THE MACHINE AND TRY TO USE THEM PROPERLY TO PUT THE FIRE OUT, THE INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE TO PAY. I KNOW OF TWO GUY'S THAT LET MACHINES BURN AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY DID NOT PAY. LETING MACHINE BURN WITH OUT TRYING TO SAVE THEM IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN INSURANCE FRAUD AND ARSON, WHICH WILL GET YOU IN A LOT OF TROUBLE. THE TWO GUYS NOW ARE NOW BIG FANS OF FIRE EXTINGUISERS AND CLEANING MACHINES.
stop YELLING please....
The auto fire extinguishers are nice also. I have them installed on my trucks and hoe. A little more pricey, but nice. They still don't replace the hand held.
Another thing to be ware of with fire extinguishers is that if they are the powder kind, the powder can pack down and then not work. Don't ask me how I know this. Powder fire extinguishers should be shaken upside down every now and then to make sure the powder stays loose.
I KNOW MSHA requires that fire extinguishers be inspected every month, I think that OSHA and FRA are pretty up on that too. Those inspections involve visual inspection for damage, pressure check and flipping it over and shaking to listen for the powder moving around. If it's not loose you can use a rubber mallet and smack it to break up the powder.
i was talking to the mechanic the other day. he said the new auto fire ex on the 988 went off and it was a mess. he said a wire fell on the manifold started smoking set the system off. he said after seeing how it works he doesnt think it will ever burn down, as long as the system is working right.
All of our equipment is outfitted with automatic fire suppression systems.
I had a machine burn up on me during the summer while I was operating it. I have never felt so helpless in my life. I tried to put it out with a dry chem extinguisher, but it was to well involved.
Fire Extinguishers Here is a little tid bit of information but I'm sure everyone knows this anyway..Mount your extinguishers standing up because if you mount them laying on their side the weight of the chemical could break the tube off inside. Even though it would show good on the guage it might not work. I notice some of our truck operators have them mounted on the passenger side beside the seat, next to the door laying down...:soapbox
I was torch cutting the cab off of my backhoe when a small fire broke out in the oil and grease built up on top of the tranny. I grabbed one of those powder extinguishers and got it out without any damage except there is now white powder on top of the tranny instead of oil. When I worked for CSX we were instructed to NOT put out any fire on a locomotive. We would get a 30 day suspension if we attempted to use a fire extinguisher, although by law there are at least two extinguishers on every locomotive and they have to be kept up to date. Their argument is that we are not properly trained in fire suppression and it opens them up to liability if someone gets hurt. They would rather replace a 3 million dollar locomotive than face possible lawsuits for an injury. It may sound crazy but if you were to get injured putting out a fire you would not be able to resist the temptation of easy money from the personal injury lawyers banging on your door.
Rick, Why even fit fire extinguishers to the locos then
Its a government requirement that locomotive have fire extinguishers. Its company policy that they not be used!
My wife is an insurance agent and if the machinery is insured for a stated amount, it may be best to let it burn so then you're only out the deductible and have the money to buy a new machine.