Here's some pics of the type of Farm Equipment we use down here.
Equipment Pics And some more. First Pic is a 8 row planter with Cotton Closers instead of standard JD Press Wheels. Second is the No Till Drill Third is the 12 Row with standard JD Press Wheels
More Row Crop Pics Seed Wagons, New vs Old. The Auger Tractor
Cool pics. How big is the farm operation?
Your case tractors are in amazing shape, great pics, Thanks
None of the row crop stuff is mine, it belongs to a good friend of mine. I work out of his headquarters when I'm south of town. The Magnum don't look bad for an 8500 Hour tractor does it? As far as acres go it varies year to year. In addition to his ground he farms another guys Rice every year and the guy farms the Corn, Beans and Wheat. So the acres depends on the rotation. Rice is a young guys game and him and his farm hand didn't want to fool with it anymore.
Cool pictures roddyo.I love the Case-IH 7140.Tell us about the tillege tool in pic #2 on post#1,is it for making ridges to grow the crop on.The power unit on the drying fan is pretty neet,I'l bet we see more grain dryers going back to pto drives or power units in the near future as electricity prices go up.And get a close up pic of the Farmall behind the Brent gravity wagon.I like the spay rigg & nurse trailer to ,Cool stuff!
You Wish is my Command That's a Hiniker Cultivator. You can plow and pull beds or hips with it also. Our electric charges a demand fee for electric so we can pull the irrigation power units off the wells and put them on the bins at harvest. It works out pretty good. Here's your Pics:drinkup
Here's some more Pics from today's harvest. Cutting Medium Grain Rice Today.
Great pictures roddyo,I love those old farmall's ,and it looks like it's powered on lp gas.That's a cool looking old case as well.Your rice harvest resembles our wheat harvest.Crop harvest in south Indiana is now just getting in to full swing now due to a very wet spring & late planting in some areas for corn & soybeans.
I agree 25c, cool tractor pics. I can't get over the rear wheels on the Case. That's some heavy looking wheels on the back of that thing!
That's a good looking Magnum! One of the best looking newer tractors made. Power unit looks like a Duetz. One of my friends services Duetz over here in Paragould. Well, He lives here anyway. Shop is at Dixie.
Metric Rubber That's Metric Rubber on a standard 38 inch wheel. Here's some more pictures.
Nightly Farm Pics This is the kind of land planes we pull in the south. These are 16 feet wide and 50 feet long. They have 3 blades.
Man...you guys have some serious toys to play with! I'd bet 25c would love to play in your sandbox with his Minneapolis Moline.
Down at the Hog Pen The Durocs are mine and the Yorks and York Crosses are my partners.
Damn, We went from plowin' the ground to rootin' the ground! Mmm, bacon! Ain't nothing in this world much better than bacon.
Thanks ATCO. One of these days I'll start making videos.
how much for one of those hogs down your way?
Hog Prices We sell mostly showpigs starting at around $100.00 up to around $300.00 each. We really can't sell them cheaper than that because our semen costs are around $200.00 to 300.00 per sow. This is what the Duroc Sow is bred to now. http://shipleyswine.com/exotic/Midnightcurfew.html Our fat hogs we sell delivered to the meatlocker for around $1.00 a pound live weight. Breeding stock is around $250.00 to $600.00 for a gilt. There's two good Duroc Gilts in the pictures $250.00 each. Boars are around $400.00 or $500.00 on up. Chad had a good York Boar that won the Dixie Nationals. He was offered $1,500.00 for him but sold him to the farm at ASU for $1,000.00 The reason being that those guys help us a lot and we could still use him for free if we wanted. We are going to start collecting boars sometime this winter and selling semen.
roddyo,My buddy ATCOEQUIP knows me well.I would love to hook the G-1000 vista Minneapolis Moline to the land plane and level ground all day.Good looking operation roddyo.Dang!,Those are good looking hogs too.It looks like they are well taken care of.suddenly I am hungry for a bacon & tomato sandwich.
You mean like this? Yummmy!
You two keep eating that bacon. We need all the help we can get. We never had any Moline's around here. When I used to go to Backgate there was always some down there. Both at the sale and around the farmers shops.
LoL...ain't nothin' in this world much better than bacon. Here ya' go roddyo. He'll probably kick my hamhocks, but here's my bud 25c on his Minne Mo. That's one sweet looking tractor.
Is that shavings? BTW, where are you at in this picture?
Ha Ha, now your pokin' a stick at me makin' 25c have to explain what he's doing. Me in the picture? LoL, I wish I was there. 25c is notorious for having little things like his grandmothers apple pie in the kitchen. Geez, I can smell it here in Tennessee! :tong
I wonder what the budget is a year for road signs at Dixie? A buddy of mine used to have one nailed on the wall behind his bed over in J Town.
Got me... I'm thinking it's pretty small. Just the two of em you know.
that 7140 is immaculate. nice pics
Minneapolis Moline! Would like to see pics of that. I'm looking for a 1951 MM U and haven't had any luck.
Oops....talked before I listened...lol.... That can get you hurt! The MM looks good.
We were cutting corn silage and I was spreading & packing at the bunker silo in the picture that ATCOEQUIP posted.Dang! ATCO,that bacon & tomato sandwich look's just like my grandmother's recipe,alot of bacon,awesome!.Here is a pic of a Case-IH magnum pulling me out of a wet wheat field in the GMC wrecker after we pulled the combine out of the mud.I love those magnum's.roddyo,do you guys ever have trouble harvesting the rice due to the wet ground conditions & getting stuck in the mud ?
Dont worry about it tripper 174.We will start a new thread on MM tractors.I can talk about them all night.
This year is going to be Bad Used to be every IH 715 Combine here had the wheels cut in half with about a 12 inch spacer welded in so you could put really wide rice and cain's on the wheel. Back in the 70's we had a fall that you couldn't hardly pull off the road with the tires that come on them. Someone split there wheels, put the big tires on and could go. Everyone had to do it so they could get there crop out. Said that to say this. This year is shaping up to be that bad. The John Deere Combine went down right after I took the pictures the other day. There's a rice field at the edge of town and they have been stuck all over it. Another guy has ordered a set of tracks for his combine. A lot of people haven't even started yet either. If we get a lot of rain wheat harvest can be more of a pain than anything. There's nothing like dragging a log chain in June.
Talked to a farmer Wed. cut some rice and it was at 21% moisture. He had it "salted" (I dunno what that is) and was gonna wait a couple days. Of course, it rained the next two days. The cotton folks are really catching a hard lick this year though. Keeps raining on the open bolls. If they opened.
So it's literally some form of salt, probably with a funny name. I wouldn't think one would want to do that too often as to not harm the ground. I guess they've thought of that already.
I'm doing what I can to help roddyo, Pork Tenderloin on the grill.
Looks like I'm going to have to start a recipe forum here...... That roast looks so good ATCO!!
LoL... Well Steve, I read on the ag threads that beans were bad this year, cotton is getting rained on, and rice is in soaked fields that they can't get into, and I'm thinking "dang, these farmers is where our food comes from, when it's bad for them...it's bad for us". roddyo said to keep eatin' bacon 'cause they need all the help they can get. I just wanted to show him I'm doin' my part by having some roasted oinker! :drinkup
Thanks for doing your part ATCO! Warm and breezey today so maybe things will dry out a little.
Rice farming Hey roddyo,this rice farming sounds interesting.My question is are you able to rotate different crops in the rice fields ,say rice one year then corn ,soybeans, or cotton the next year?I know rice likes to grow in wet conditions.In my neck of the woods the river bottom ground is wet and has to be "tiled" for drainige to grow corn or soybeans.Do the rice fields have any drain tile in them ?Or do they have a levee system to keep the water on the rice field and are drained prior to harvest?How do you apply the salt to kill the rice,spay rigg or airplane ?
Rice Farming That's a lot of questions 25C. I like your enthusiasm. Most real rice farmers go rice, beans, rice, beans. Up here close to town we got a sandier type soil so most people look at a 4 year rotation. Rice, Beans, Corn, Beans. If it looks like there will be money in Wheat people will try to sneak a wheat crop in behind the corn or rice if the conditions are right and double crop the beans after the wheat is cut. That isn't near as popular anymore since inputs are so high and most of this ground is getting leveled. Used to be 2 half xxxxx crops in a year was more profitable than one good one. At least it was for the landlords. Now that you have to make every lick count, farming like that and you will go broke twice as fast. Least that's what some people think. Got to eat super.
Enthusiasm? Pfffffftttttttttt! 25c does a crane service, wrecker/recovery service, portable welding and machinery repairs, moving barns and silos, landscaping, septic installation, dozer, excavator, scraper, skid loader with backhoe and recovery winch, TV antennae tower & cable installation, and a little farming. (did I miss anything) He's just pickin' your brain thinkin' about growing rice now!
Thank's for the answer roddyo & sorry about all the questions at once.This is an interesting thread.
My buddy ATCOEQUIP dont miss much.At one time I was thinking about crop dusting service .Thats why I was asking how the salt was applyed to the rice crop to kill it for an early harvest.25c likes to fly .
I will get to them all. It finally dried up enough to work today. I need to make hay while the sun shines as they say. If we get many more rains like last week I may have all winter to talk about farming. ointhead
Damn, I knew I was forgetting something...that dang Bi-plane!
Indeed, I spent the afternoon clearing an old fence row. Death to the cedars!!
Rice report is OK to reasonably good as of today, of course it rained again tonight. Cotton is still bad... Corn and beans are ok.
ScottAR, The Case dealers up there must be strong. Cause they sure aren't down here. We have a farm in Kentucky and all you see is diehard case or diehard deere ppl up there. Saying one sucks over the other is like fighting words . Me living in Georgia never knew the fields stayed so wet and what kind of ground you have to work with. When its wet you get stuck and when its dry you can't even pick the stupid ground. I love it up there its just there are no steady jobs or I would move. I'm practically up there all the time anyway.
Case is strong, Deere is strong, Even see quite a bit of New Holland, Massey, and Fendt. All the dealers are fairly competitive. Quite a few farmers have machines from several makes. Getting it done is all that matters. 25c, The rice fields are nearly all laser leveled and levees put up around and through the field disperse the water. The water is for the rice and for weed control. They only have to spray on top of the levees for weeds. They drain the water before harvest and knock down the levees after harvest for the next crop. The geology of this area is sorta strange. There's old river bottoms and marshy ground, some round hills with red sand or red gravel under em, and over Roddyo's way it gets hilly and limestone is quarried. There's more bottom land between us. All within 50 miles or thereabouts.
Our rock crusher is around 3 miles from the beginning of the row crop ground. About the only thing between the Ozarks and the Delta is Black River in Pocahontas. Kinda like Crowley's Ridge.
Down at the Hog House I got rained out of a Demo Job today and ended up Pulling Pigs on a gilt this afternoon. You got to be pretty versatile around here. 1st pic is the pigs in a box as they were born. I had to pull the first and 4th pig. I don't know how many she ended up having, I left when everyone started getting off work. Next two pics is the sow in the next crate. She is the momma to the gilts with pigs in the first and forth pics. Last pic is a sister to the gilt in the first pic.
Rice Field Pictures Here's some rice field pics. The first two is red rice. It's like a weed from growing rice without a rotation. It is bad news. The pic of the sprayer on the nurse trailer is for killing this stuff. The red rice is taller and more yellow than regular rice. The next two pictures is of "Salted" rice. You can tell the difference in the brown salted rice from the green rice along along the edge of the highline wire where the airplane couldn't spray. The last pic is down rice which is pretty common.
Just for you 25C Here is some pics about a mile from where I been working. It fits in this farm section pretty good since it's in the middle of a Bean Field. A lot of airplane pilots in WW2 was trained here so we got a couple of big runways here. We got like a airplane salvage yard here now. It's kind of strange working in a farm field and a 767 flying over a couple of hundred feet off the ground. The last pic is a restaurant at the Airport. The Parachute Inn
Whoa dude! That's a Douglas DC-3 gooney bird in the next to last pic! There ain't nothing in the world like listening to a "round engine" on take off.
A friend of mine works at the salvage facility. Works just like auto salvage, just bigger. Engines, landing gear, seats, even toilets... When they get everything out that's useable, they hire a scrapper with an excavator to munch it up. My friend drives an ancient Isuzu pup diesel and runs it on "salvaged" jet fuel with some oil mixed in for lubrication.
You beat me to it ATCO, I spotted that too. Military version was the C-47, a lot of history in that plane!
Jet Salvage My buddy with the Scrap Yard had the scrap deal on the planes if he wanted it but it's hard to get rid of. They got real cheap aluminum in them. When you crush it it breaks up kind of like glass so you can't make a bale out of it. A buddy of mine's dad used to haul Jet Fuel when we were kids. When he parked the truck in the yard we would always drain 20 or 30 gallons out that had stuck to the sides when he unloaded. Stuff was about like kerosene. I had to slip in a picture of the old plane on the runway. I new someone would catch it.
I flew in a DC-3 from Ft Hood Texas back to Laguardia (Ft Dix) after my first 8 basic training.Old,huh? Then,after a week leave went to Ft Leonard Wood mo to heavy equipment school.Ron G
History for sure, Steve, considering the DC-3 took it's first flight Dec 17, 1935. And it shows what a great air frame they are to still be in service today. My thanks for doing so, and if you put a pic of a piston engine plane anywhere here I'm going to spot it. The sound of those things still makes the hair stand up on my arms. How's this. A pic of my dad in front of a Lockheed P-38 Lightning during training in WWII.
Nice...
Super picture ATCO, It reminds me of the old time story about avation beer.
Easy fellars, that was a pic for roddyo. For sure, I'm proud of my dad, but, I don't want to stray too far off from the thread we are on; Arkansas Farm Pics. Yet, I am curious how we can (sheepishly) expound on your "avitation beer" story without getting off topic.
That's cool... Just a cool pic is all... Back on topic, it's raining again... Word was late cotton was going to be OK but that is now uncertain. One of my older friends and his son in law (partners on the same farm, 3000 acres cotton) bought some cotton futures on the market to "hedge their bets". Lookin' like their new cotton picker is going to be slogging through mud on it's maiden voyage. Fingers and toes crossed that this season will work out.
Nice Picture ATCO Sorry for the slow reply ATCO, I been trying to get a couple of equipment trades nailed down. That's a nice picture of your dad. It's amazing what that generation did. Where did your dad train at? I'm kind of intrested in this beer also. If you think about it, it would be unpatriotic to not talk about it or anyones service to there country.:usa BTW, I don't care if this thread ends up going here and yonder like a dog peeing in the snow. That's the way most of my conversations go in real life. I'll try to throw a few farm pics in from time to time so maybe we can keep digger off our tail.
Hey roddyo. Actually, dad trained at several locations. He had his dress uniform pic taken in Biloxi Mississippi. He left the states with his bomber crew from the airfield in Manchester New Hampshire going across the Atlantic to England. When they landed for fuel in Iceland, they had a change of itinerary, flew south to Azores, then across Africa to India to join up with the 10th Air Force. A change I personally am thankful of, as in, if he had went to England, he would have been in the 8th **, which was not a good place to be for a bomber crew in 1943 and '44. Looking forward to some more farm pics from you fellows.
Flood Pictures I may have some flood pictures before farm pics ATCO. If you ever get over this way there's a museum in Walnut Ridge you need to go to. It's on the old Air Base. They got a lot of pics from that era I hear. It will be a little over an hour from Memphis. I have never been in it myself but I have always wanted to go.
Looks cool roddyo, ya ought to go! It's funny you mentioned what the men of that generation did at a thread about farm pics. Dad was born in 1924 on a 300 acre farm near Surgoinsville TN, a for real "out in the country" area. One of those situations where you went to town once a month for you flour, cornmeal, sugar, and coffee. Heck, in the 30's, they didn't even know what "the great depression" was. Everyday was farm life. Now imagine a young man from an area like that all of a sudden find themselves half a world away flying bombing missions in a B-24 bomber. Just a salt of the earth person now doing an incredible task. As for farming, I have great respect for people who cast their lot attempting to get production from the land. I have been through the south and have seen what ScottAR is talking about, it's sad to see a whole cotton crop rotting away because you can't get in the field to work it. :Banghead
Arkansas Farm Pics: and others. http://usaaf.com/8thaf/index.htm OCR...
The P-38 played a big part in winning the war for us. They were able to stuff enough fuel in it so it could go on those long range bomber escorts plus it was a very agile fighter. I've read there are only 6 working examples left today. One was raised from under 268' of ice in Greenland and is being restored so we may see 7. http://p38assn.org/glacier-girl-recovery.htm roddyo, I wish you were closer to me. I host a pig roast every year and the farmer I bought my hogs from retired, I have to get them dressed through market now. I enjoyed going to the farm and watching the farmer pick one to my weight spec, he always came within a pound or two just by eye and then we'd spend the afternoon before dressing it. That was part of the festivity, I'd take it to an old world German butcher with a refrigerator and freezer full of alcohol. Dressing the pig took about an hour, but I'd be there for five or six, lol! There's no commercial hog farms left within a reasonable distance and the amateurs feed their hogs whatever they can find. The farmer I went to fed his nothing but grains, the meat was absolutely delicious!!
Hmmm, I can see it now...Annual HEF Pig Roast at Steve's house with hog supplied by roddyo! Yum Yum! Yep Steve, Glacier Girl was restored in the little town of Middlesboro Kentucky, just about 50 miles north of me. I didn't get a chance to go see the plane before it was sold and moved to Texas.
I had a lot rather furnish the Hog as drive to New York ATCO. I have been going up there every year or two and it's a pretty long drive from here.
LoL...yeah, it's a few more than a country mile!
Rod if you are going to New York for a pig roast then stop by Wisconsin and pick me up.
I drove my F-350 down to Lead Hill, Ark. a few years ago, I know how long a trip it is, lol!! Believe it or not, the area I'm in here isn't much different from that area, nice country.
Broken record time... it's raining again...
We are getting alot of rain here in south Indiana as well ScottAR.Thanks for posting the pictures of the airport & planes Roddyo ,I love It !
It stopped raining finally for a few days. I went to a friends place tonight and went past several cut rice fields. At least someone's getting some work done. Drying up over there Roddyo?
Hey ScottAR, did you boy's ever get the cotton out of the fields? I'm kinda' fond of buying my bluejeans at a decent price.
No reports yet... Around my immediate area it's all rice. I hope so... It's ready... Some is a little beyond ready.
Been Busy I was comming in from the state fair last night and stopped by and rode the combine with my buddy Mike. Some people cut here Friday in the drizzle. It was around 21% Friday Mike only had 70 acres left so he waited till yesterday and cut over 40 so he should get done today. I done another equipment trade this week so I haven't had a lot of time between that and showing hogs. Here's some pics. The first two is a 1979 855 Versatile 4X4 Third is a 12 row 7100 John Deere Planter on 30 inch rows The last one is a Reynolds 12P dirt pan. The P is for plane. When full you drag it on the ground. When you get on grade kick your laser on automatic and keep a little dirt it front of your cutting edge. Really nothing to it.
That's a soldier for sure...
I like the Versatile 855!We have some Versatile tractors in my area as well.It look's like it has an 855 Cummins engine in it.They are a great diesel engine.
Trick my Tractor A Mechanical Cummins is my favorite engine by far 25c. The planter I'm selling where it is. The dirt pan is in loose hands. But that 855 Versatile. With about 2,000 hours on a rebuilt engine, New Center Pins, Manual Transmission and Knee Deep in Rubber. There's not a chance that things going anywhere. I think we might get 2 or 3 of those things and keep around for cheap horsepower. Just trying to keep some hours off the row crop tractors. It's looking like it might be cheaper to run a 30 year old tractor anyway. ScottAR are there any old Versatiles over in your neck of the woods that are in good shape, running or not?
Well, 25c, that should make your wife happy. Looks like your not going to be bringing the Versatile home anytime soon.
There's a few. I know of none for sale. I do know of an IH/steiger "black stripe" tractor. Probably be high$$ but a good tractor. If he hasn't sold it. I haven't talked to him in awhile.
They sold the IH... The cotton farmer was supposed to try out their new JD picker/baler on Wed. It rained all day today... Quit a couple hours ago. I guesstimate they are down till Sunday/Mondayish...
They ran the new picker starting Wed. morning and ran until the rains on Thursday. They picked 500 bale in that period. They are well pleased. Looking to go again on Monday.
Action Photos It looks like I might have some action photo's in a few days. All the river's are full and the ground is soaked up full of water. They are calling for 7 inches of rain tommorrow and we are on the south end of it. If we get 7 inches North of us it's going the be a wild weekend. They say it could be worse than this. http://www.rodneyobrien.com/flood pictures.htm
Batten down the hatches... All the ditches and creeks are full here too.
Rivers all full in south Indiana as well and possible 2 inches of rain tommorrow.Thats enough to flood the corn & soybeans in the river bottoms again for the third time this year.Dang!,it's been a wet fall,and it aint over yet.All we can do now is "Hold Fast" and watch what happens next and deal with it the best we can.
I hope things work out for all you fella's. Floods are nothing but destruction and a mess. Heavy flooding is rare here in East Tennessee, the Tennessee Valley Authority dams on the Tennessee River and Cumberland River control water so well that we don't worry much about heavy floods, only flash flooding of creeks and streams.
Same way here 25c. This deal has cost me a backhoe sale this year. Guy's bean field went about 8 feet under while still green.:Banghead If they had been made it wouldn't have been a big deal. You been around many bean cuttings after an overflow 25c?
This ain't no big deal ATCO, it floods around here a couple of times a year. Since we had a wet spring a lot of the crop is still in the field, that's the problem. Don't never get in the overflow in a boat with a jet unit BTW. The water is so trashy they clog up in a just a few minutes. At least it's that way around here.
Just for you 25c, silage pics I took some pics of the old silage equipment at the farm the other day just for you 25c. First one is the old pit and the others is just some pics of the old wagons.
Arkansas State Fair Here's some pictures of my Durocs shined up at the Arkansas State Fair. My Boar got First in Class and Reserve Champion over all in the Open Division. The two Gilts got Third and Forth in Class. The last pic is just an Arkansas Hog Pen.
Next Years Show Pig Crop Some of these little fella's wasn't an hour or so old when this was taken.
That's some good looking hogs Rodney.
Good looking hog operation Rodney & congrats on your boar at the state fair!Love the pictures of the old bunker silo & allis chalmers silage wagon.Allis-chalmers had a wagon that would side discharge or it would also reverse the floor chain and dump out the rear for a bunker type silo.We ran gehl wagons that just had the side discharge.here are a few pics of our old bunker silo & a wagon.
Weather Report Thanks ATCO. Ask me in 6 months what the pigs look like.:beatsme You never really know which ones going to be the real deal until they grow a while. We got lucky on the rain today. After raining hard all night, this morning it drifted more toward SCOTTAR's way. That's going to be the difference between a normal flood and really getting wild around here. Here's some pics at the farm just before it went over the road this morning.
One of my co-workers called "rained in" today. 8 mile creek is full but still in it's banks. Some of these crops just ain't gonna get picked... Supposed to rain more next week.
Hold the phone... No rain for 7days! Too bad it'll take that long to dry out.
Feeding Hay Today. You don't see many of these. Those that weren't flooded in had to go Trick or Treating tonight so I had to run up to the hills and set out a Bale of Hay. Snapped a few pics while I was there. You don't see many of these around anymore. A Brahama Bull, it's just like 1980 all over again.
Sorry about missing your post 25c, I just saw it. That's some nice looking Iron. What's that old Gleaner in the corner, L2 or M2 maybe? My friend who owns the row crop equipment in the pictures used to run Gleaners till the Dealer let his Combine Contract go. I just pulled the pin in a Hand Grenade and I'm fixin to start a War here so stand back. I think a 7720 was one of the best balanced combines ever made. If the 8820 had more fan speed and was built a little heavier in places they could have been better but still a great machine. Axial Flow's shine in rice and are really simple machines although the grain could be cleaner in the bin. But by far the best and simplest grain combine made was a Gleaner.:notworthy Not much in Rice but Corn, Beans and Wheat they could get the job done. What I liked was about four wrenches and a cresent you could fix almost anything on one of them or so it seemed. Let the flaming begin. My partner got Reserve Champion York Boar at the DeCoin State Fair in Illinois and first and second with his gilts. We got a side discharge Oswalt at the farm. Back in the day it was used feeding chicken litter. Don't laugh, it works like a charm. We used it feeding soybean hull pellets and sprayed mix 30 in there with a 2 inch pump to around 15% by best guess. That worked pretty good but I got tired of doing it and we moved up to a new place that didn't have a barn so I used a feed truck and put the mix 30 in a tank and the yearlings drank it. I hate tractors in the winter time. Here's some flood pics from today. Notice they are from the other end of the river bottom.
LoL...when I see a Brahman, I think of working out of town in 1995, sittin' in a motel room one night watching the Bullnanza Rodeo in Guthrie Oklahoma. Clint Branger drew Bodacious. 1,900 lbs of the meanest Charbray that's ever been. I watched him ride the whole 8 seconds to win the event. And what a ride it was. He was one of only five riders who stayed on Bodacious for 8 seconds. http://madsmini.com/Bodacious.htm
Catching Cows When I was a kid I used to help this guy catch wild cows. $50.00 each or on the halves if it was a really bad set. I got $50.00 a week and a place to stay in the summer BTW. Well actually that was for me AND two horses. ointhead That was back when everyone had crossbred cattle and FHA was loaning money to everyone that walked thru the door. Of course you know how that worked out. After all the part time cowboys had there go at it we usually cleaned up when someone went broke. One guy left out in the middle of the night and we caught way over 100 head on that deal. Most were one at a time, either on the end of a rope or with a Pit Bulldog hanging on there nose. Those were the days. Said all that to say this, some of the worst were Charolais and Charolais X. Here's the guy that got me started on the right foot in the cattle business.
That's a great story Roddy. I'd say that pic brings back some great memories for ya. "some of the worst were the Charolais". It seems Bodacious had a bit of that with his Charbray pedigree. The bulk of the Brahman, and the meaness of the Charolais. I watched Clint ride Bodacious on that night in 1995 and was thinking "this is a memorable ride that I'm watching right now". Bodacious was a hell-of-a bull. He busted up Tuff Hedemen real bad. I haven't looked on the internet or youtube, but you should try to find some video of Bodacious. He was a bull that one hand could count (on fingers/thumb) the numbers of riders that could stay on him for 8. Great pics bro, keep 'em coming.
It's pretty easy to pull up a picture on the internet of that guy, he used to be pretty famous. He used to own a little red dog named Peterbilt who was pretty famous also. It's "rumored" he made over $35,000.00 on pups and stud fees on Peterbilt back in the 70's. It's "rumored" that this kid that worked for him all summer for $50.00 a week ended up with a Double Grand Daughter out of Peterbilt also.
Pretty cool Roddy...pretty cool!
Where's SCOTTAR? How did things shake out over your way SCOTTAR? It wasn't to bad at the farm, it just took out about a quarter mile of fence ..... that was build Last Saturday. ointhead I heard a pretty neat cotton story this weekend. A guy over around Piggott had 400 acres of cotton ready last week. He goes down and starts hacking at it with this rain comming. None of his neighbors has anything ready so they all show up with a picker and a boll buggy. Ends up being 7 6 row pickers taking out 42 rows to the swath. Buddy of mine said that between the pickers and boll buggy's running and the module builders in mud azz deep you would have thought they were having a demolition derby out there.:usa
That's a crazy story Roddy. Did the improvised land demolition crew get the cotton picked?
Congrats on the state fair awards, very very impressive.
I'm full of stories ATCO. Problem is most aren't fit for this forum. I think they got done over there BTW. What's up Wolf? I been wondering what happened to you. I got a new dozer in last week that is just perfect for you. Once you get the doors shut your pretty well safe. I guy wanted my trackhoe a few weeks ago and I had to take his in on trade so I'm slumming until I can get it traded off. Well I say I am but I haven't seen my new one since we made the deal. Actually it's a friend of mine and I rent him some equipment every now and then and he needed both for a while. Here's what I'm running now, no thumb but pretty low hours. The good thing is we don't have to worry about denting up the sheet metal.
LoL, we have a 320BL that has a door panel that looks just like that! :tong Looks like the dozer is set up for a pin on rake. Cool.
So far so good... All the usual places got underwater and are back down or at least passable. Everything is squishy... On my way home from a friends' I found a car in a ditch... No driver to be found... Found a cheap whiskey bottle in the weeds so that had to be a player. I called the Sheriff's office and they did whatever they do... Road Tee's right there and there were skid marks right before the T so I guess they spotted the sign a little late. Good they got the cotton picked... There's water standing everywhere over here so it'll be late in the week IF the sun stays out...Hard to stay positive underwater. That's a good lookin' dozer... I'm looking for one about that size... Hard to find one they don't want a mint for... Excavator just needs a little body work is all...
Rod that 315 looks like it came off of a pipeline spread.
That's kind of Ironic EGS. If I don't figure anything for my machine, working down here pays about like working on a pipeline spread. My part time guy who wrecked the Case CX160 is an old pipleline hand also. He Parked his sideboom to close to the railroad track in Saint Louis when he was just starting out. The next morning they show up for work and the RR guys are there. A train hit his boom that night. ointhead It just knocked the mirror off of it but funny as xxll anyway.
good looking jd dozer roddyo,I like the cab screens.It with the 315 excavator will make a great team.You have a good eye for detail,thats a 1982 F-2 Gleaner setting behind the wagon.Four row corn head & 13 foot flex head.I allways liked the gleaners.operators cab is in the center and engine is in the rear where it should be.On our old F-2 it was all electric over hydraulic,fingertip rocker switches for all hydraulics.The flex head worked great in our hilly rolling fields ,flip the switch to auto & go after them beans.It was very responsive.Good luck with the new dozer.
I have been thinking about getting more in to the rental side of things. That's what swayed me to the 450 with full enclosures. I think it will tie into what I do well. This is my fifth dozer this year. I have had a 37 and 39 Komatsu and 2 D4H LGP's. For what I do I really like the D4H's They are a really simple machine that is easy to make money with. The problem is finding the really good ones and they are not a machine to put out on rent IMO.
A farm radio frequency overlaps the work radio... "They" were picking soybeans today... Cotton fields are still too wet... Ever dealt with Robbie's equipment in Widener? They have several dozers in 70-90hp range. If it'll stop raining, I might get a chance to check em out...
I really like that Deere dozer with the brush cab. Do you have a pin on rake for it?
No, the way I trade dozers I figured people would always want me to throw them in when I sell one so I never put one on. Another thing is a lot of our ground is real sandy and if you break the crust it turns into a real mess. Your better off pushing brush without touching the ground with your blade. Some people get it, some don't. Rakes are a good tool and I will probably get one for this dozer since I'm going to rent it some. I just bought this machine a few weeks ago and haven't ran it other than in my yard. I have never been to Widner SCOTTAR. If I can help you in anyway send me a PM.
Thanks! will do... The rental game can be interesting... My folks and I play the game with real estate rentals. Can be headaches but the (whatever it is) is making money even when your fishing, sleeping, eating.... you get the point.
The cotton report is better than forseen... My favorite farmer's "high ground" fields are averaging just over 2 bale to the acre. The "bottom lands" are still too wet but it's not supposed to rain till sometime next week. Cross your fingers... The new picker/baler is going good. They picked 130 acres yesterday. Quit at midnight as they ran out of wrappers.
Scraper Tire Cattle Tank Here's some pics how to make a water tank out of a scraper tire. 1) The water supply 2) The Water Tank/Scraper Tire. A side note. For all you people calling that black roll stuff "Geo Tech". You should start refering to it as it's common name "Cow Carpet". 3) The Plumbing 4) The concrete mixture. Since this was a "Government Job" we bought a bag of fiber and added it to the mix. That's the white stuff on top BTW. 5) After Pouring I'll get some more pics after the plumbing is finished if anyone is intrested.
Pretty cool Rodney, I love it!
Clearing and Dirtwork go Hand and Hand Thanks ATCO:drinkup Here's some pics from today of a little deal we are doing. Most of the big trees were piled yesterday. Pic 3 is building my road to the pile. Instead of carrying mats around I just keep throwing trees down till it will hold me up. This deal wasn't very bad, about one tree every 7 feet apart. A bad deal will be solid trees stacked 3 or so deep. Pic 4. This is why we throw the trees down. As soon as you push a tree over it starts getting quick sandy.
I like the scraper tire water tank idea Roddyo,Thats pretty cool.I don a few "cow carpet" jobs over the summer,just feedlots,no water systems.I know what you mean about when clearing after pushing a tree over it get's " quick sandy".Some of our river bottom ground is like that in my area.Gota be dang carefull in some places.It's amazing what a few trees will do under the tracks.Looking good,will you install field tile after the trees are cleared to dry it up?
Bring on the Dirt Rigs The dirt rigs was having a hard time staying up. They finally moved to a different part of the field.
No one down here has ever seen field tile 25c. This field is being leveled so that will take care of the low spots. Instead of being tiled to drain them dirt is filled in to eliminate the holes. As you know placing fill on top of mud or water is never good. These low spots will be "pumpy" for a couple of years. You can see "grade" in the pictures, it's about 12 to 18 inches over the original dirt. Where the New Holland tractor is sitting has been leveled. This is what the whole field will look like when done. I don't know what the fall is on this field but usually around here it's between 1 and 3 tenths per 100 feet.
I've often wondered why fields aren't tiled here... Of course, some fields are so low there's no where to drain to... And rice growing would be somewhat difficult...
Rite you are ScottAR.It would be tough growing rice in a well drained "tiled" field.I guess we could put a shutoff valve at the river in the tile depending on the crop & rainfall.Close the valve for rice and open it for corn & soybeans.We have tile on the hills to handle the wet springs and tile lines every 50 feet in river bottoms in my area,but we dont grow rice.I allways get allot of calls from farmers in the early spring for tile repair before they plant.I chase around fields with the skidloader & backhoe repairing sinkholes due to broken clay tile & plastic tile.
Around here almost everything is leveled so the water all runs to one end of the field into a ditch so there is no need for any field tile. Another thing is a lot of our ground is real sandy so water gets out of it pretty fast. I always hated the field tile up that way 25c. We scraped the topsoil 18 inches or until we ran out of it which usually meant we went 18 inches. If we cut a tile the right of way would be a lake everytime it rained. The soil in our good rice ground is a lot like what you got up there. I always though if your topsoil had more clay in it, it would be a lot like our Gumbo down here. Hey ScottAR, what do you think will happen to all those boll buggies and module builders when everyone gets one of those new cotton picker balers?
Probably the same thing that happened to cotton trailers... They'll get cut up and used for something else or sold for scrap. At half a million bux, I figure there will be some around for awhile yet...
If it wasn't for old cotton wagon's a lot of people wouldn't have a hay trailer or a dog pen.
Pen Building We are going to preg check some cows tommorrow and worked on the pens the other day redoing them a little. We took out about 8 to 10 inches of dirt Laid down Cow Carpet Filled in with chat. Not much to it
Is that your drag hoe in the back round in pic #4?
Yes that's the Priestman. I need to dig a pond out sometime.:beatsme Who knows when that will be. We got to put a waterer in for the GovMent so that's got everything screwed up. They want us to cut the pond bank for the water line. If you got a big dozer most of the time you can put a well point on a piece of pipe and push it through the pond bank and not cut it. I wanted to clean it out with the Priestman and put the water line in that way so we didn't have to cut the bank. You know what they say, Genius is never understood in it's own time. My Old D6C is just down the Hill. That's my backhoe in pic 3 also. I was digging it out with the backend of the backhoe when I got some help. It was all in good fun though.
roddyo im allmost willing to bet that i know you, i stumbled across this site on accident lol
With you being in Pocahontas...you probably do! Welcome to the forum billy bob. :usa
I wouldn't bet on that ATCO When I was a kid there was about 4,500 people here and I could tell you who almost all of them were when we met them. Now there's 6,000 people here and I can walk through WalMart and not know 10% of them.
Probably Do, if not you probably know me "in passing". Not many people are working out of a Super Crew rolling on Double Dueces. Good to have you here BTW, now get some pictures up and show us what you do. I guess you figured out that EGS, ATCO, 25c, Wolf and ScottAR are my buddies around here.
LoL, that's exactly the way I meant it Rodney!
how do you put pictures on this website
Not only are we buddys Roddyo,but after viewing your thread & posts .Heck,I'm beginning to belive the we are twinns that were separated at birth with alot of the same intrests & ideas and alot in common.Cool thread Roddyo.
Try this link;
Also, he raises hogs so we can have BACON! Yes! :yup
albums/ab125/billybob18/Spring09021.jpg[/IMG]
here we are
some more
just a few more just got a new tractor yesterday the window got nocked out on it the last half mile to the shop
just some more pics i know you have seen some of these dogs he actually favors our neighbor a little bit
the tractor came from quincy (illinois) forgive me of my spelling anyways when it got to the shop the window was nocked out of it, it was turned backwards on the trailer, (it did not have any fenders on it) when it got home it had no windshiled
I figured it out before the Dog. lol It's Official. Your the New Arkansas Soybean Expert on here. Tell everyone about the yields on the two seed bean fields and the Arkansas Soybean Challenge Patch. I heard what the first field cut but never heard anymore. BTW I thought I had worked on that farm but the red tractor had me stumped. Looking at the shop and bins I noticed the tires on the combine and put it all together. I guess you traded the Kitty Kat for the red tractor?
Thanks 25c. It don't matter where you are from, if you got a lot of common sense your going to solve a lot of problems the same way. I been lucky because I was exposed to a lot from the time I could walk but I took advantage of that also and tried to make the most of it.
A problem is nothing more than an opportunity for someone who can solve it.
hey billy bob what do you think of your new holland tg tractor i just picked up a 06 tg285 and so far i really like it
talk to dad about the beans nope he kept everything this time and bought the red tractor out right, we just realized that we needed an extra pulling tractor this year when we allmost missed a soybean crop, we ended up leasing one to get the rest of the crop in, we figured it woud be a good idea to get another one to try and get the crop in earlier. As for the newholland tractor, if you are looking to be pulling a disc or a case/dmi feildcultivator you had better put some big rubber on it, we have it set up for plowing/planting soybeans and corn, you hook it up to that big feildcultivator and it looks like a burnout contest with the tires spinning, (ours has narrow rubber to run down 30 inch rows) i dont know what your dirt is like but ours is a really heavy gumb, it stays wet all of the time and is real spongy, it has a hard enough time pulling itself much more a piece of equipment, we try to keep the cat in our worst ground to prevent this, we notilled for 6 years with with a cat 45 and a 4650 johndeere but with switching over to corn and the need to work the notilled ground because of compaction we switched back to regular old farming light ground work the newholland is fine, working in the old rotten rice fields it is another story
Were is the Pictures of your Jeep Truck? Did you happen to get any pictures of Rick's Combine down across the Ditch? I think Mike had to pull him a half a quarter with my old Versatile.
ive been pullin a 36ft 960 deere field cultivator with the 285 and a 17 knife bar for anhydrous it hardly ever slips but it does have 46 inch rubber and duals in the front and is fully wieghted
Just for you ATCO Since your a bull riding fan I thought you might find this intresting ATCO. If nothing rips or tears I think we got a local boy making his TV debute at the NFR Saturday Night. The good thing about it is it's a Bull. I hadn't ever seen him but they call him Ole Yeller, so we both know what he MIGHT look like. They bucked him out Sunday Night and he pile drived a pretty good cowboy in about 2 seconds. That's what got him in the Saturday Night Show. This could be something special. An even better story is the Guy that owns the bull. If this bull does what he's supposed to, it's going to be Jim's big break.
Sweet! :yup I'll be watching for ole yeller Rodney.
Ole Yeller Time It's almost Ole Yeller Time
I didn't want to cheer aganist your local guy Rodney, but I still have to cheer for the 2006 world champ from Wisconsin.
Some things just ain't right. A Bull Riding Champion from Wisconsin is about like Buying Salsa made in New York City. It just don't seem right. Ole Yeller got the short end of the stick last night. They was interviewing a Barrel Racer when he bucked out so all that showed was the replay.
Bucked out by a barrel racer interview...man, that's cold! :Banghead
I don't think so! There are a few good bull riders from Wisconsin. I noticed that your guy got cut off by the interview. A barrel racer no less!
Wisconsin rodeo champs! I thought I would put up some pics of some real Wisconsin rodeo heros #1 is one of my best friends getting ready to tie-down a calf at a PRCA rodeo. I am in that pic. #2 Another good friend of mine. He was in the first NFR in Dallas, a very cool guy.
I always root for the Bull!!! I didn't know you was a cowboy EGS. Where are you in the roping box picture?
I live for two things going to rodeos and Brewers baseball. Most of my friends are all in Prorodeo, mostly all calfropers. I am standing outside the box in that pic. Any guesses who that is in the last pic?
I thought that I would put up a few more pics just to keep away those unbelievers
I don't have a clue. You wouldn't have much fun catching cows with me. I unhook the gooseneck in the field, take the truck and a feed sack call the cows up and shoot one with the tranquilizer gun. Then I go back and get the backhoe while the are going to sleep. Drag it in the bucket and haul it to the trailer and give it a wakeup shot and shut the doors. Repeat, Repeat until I get what I want.
I like that kind of round-up! Don't get me wrong I am not trying to make myself out to be some big time calf roper, just hang out with guys that are.
Around here everyone team ropes. They got some pretty big payouts at Tunica. I got burned out on Horses when I was a kid. I like a feed sack and a Tranq gun myself. It's pretty open here so I use a pickup to drive them. If you give them the Bumper enough they will work pretty good, Course that's why my truck looks like it does too. http://www.rodneyobrien.com/f350.htm
This is Blake, Billy Bob is Kent......i didn't happen to get any pics of ricks CUmbine but i watched josh pull em' out and the old versatile spun a lil and poped it right out......Mike was laughin today...rollin stubble with the old versitile and the stubble roller cost half as much as the tractor..and its older than josh..lol
Isn't that you on the New Holland Tractor? That's why I assumed you was billy bob. You need to get some pictures on here of your awsome farm truck. If you will take some pictures of the Rubber on your Combine you will probably be a Hero on here. BTW, Josh don't seem very proud of the Versatile.
i will get some more pics i will get some pics of the rubber for ya rodney its gettin worked on right now but when it gets back home i will get some
Yea the farm truck is some kind of rig and yea thats me on the newholland...ill get some pics up of the jeep. and the tires IN ACTION! NOO! Josh aint too tickled with the versatile but thats good for em' to get a taste of a reall tractor and get behind the wheel of an old fashioned 855 Cummins!!
Don't Drink the Kool Aid I think Josh has been drinking the JD Kool Aid and thinks there is only one kind of equipment.
Lol! Yea i hear that....! I've been drinkin' all the Koolaids mixed up....we got one of everykind now....I don't know which tractor cap to put on in the mornings.:beatsme
Rainbow Farms Used to be people that had all different kinds of Farm Equipment was called Rainbow Farms. I been tied up is why I haven't been on here. I been making a Backhoe Trade. I finally got it in last night, and sold it today. I wish they all worked like that. Here it is, a 420D Caterpillar with a 4 in 1 front bucket.
Sweet! Looks good Rodney. And it came from Stowers...right here in my hometown. Small world.
Small World The Priestman Drag Hoe come from over your way also. It was closer to the choo-choo town that I can't spell. BTW, nice crane pics in the other thread. Looks like your dad made a little money at Oak Ridge.
LoL...Chattanooga. Know the town well. Yep, we did allright in the crane business.
Roddy, you work for Magee's? They usually do the FFA farm auction every year for Greene County Tech school...
No, I don't work for Magee. He sold a friend of mines equipment last week who rented his ground out and quit. All the local's was going to buy his backhoe, till they seen it sell. That's why I'm in Caterpillar Backhoe gathering mode right now. J.D. "Red" Meredith was my next door neighbor so I kind of grew up in the auction business. I started out running the DR. Pepper Wagon in 1980 after the drought. I worked a couple of Tech sales back then and we done the State Sale once also back then. I haven't worked a sale in about 2 years, the closest affiliation I have with anyone now would be JR. Hendrix. I had rather trade than work sales anyway. I was down at JR's sale today and it was cold with the wind blowing, we got in the truck and left. I don't miss working sales.
Rolling Rice Stubble on the Old Versatile 4X4 YouTube - versatile rolling.AVI One of these days I'll learn how to do this right.
Looks like the versatile is doing a good job... Good lookin' Cat there... They are almost as popular as Case around this area. If you don't mind me asking, whats the shipping cost from choo choo TN to here? I worked the Tech sale one year when I was in school. Try to go now if the weather isn't too bad. Standing in the rain or ice isn't worth it.
Yep,The Versatile looks & sounds good Roddyo.I cant tell what your pulling from the sun glare on the rear window,Kinda looks like an offset disc but I dont think it is as it looks pretty wet.Cat rubber tired hoe looks good,I like the 4 in 1 bucket on the front,very handy.
That's a stubble roller 25c. Somewhere along the line they changed the name of them on me. When I was a kid we called them a Snake Killer. Pulling them with a 4X4 tractor is a lot better deal since you don't get stuck and the back glass is far enough from the roller than it doesn't get covered in mud. It needs to be at least that muddy to do a good job. It the sandier ground that don't hold water as well usually gets a match.
On the backhoe it was $500.00 and figured around 440 miles. That was a back haul truck also. A one ton hot shot rig. It varies from that up to $3.40-$3.85 per mile if I send Robin out of J Town with his 7 axle rig. Once you get over about 38,000 Lbs. he starts getting into permits. Robin is my favorite by far but if it gets around 250 miles or over I start looking for a back haul truck.
Thanks for the picture Roddyo.I see how it works,kinda like a forestry drum chopper for rice stubble,Cool! Dang ,if I was a snake an seen that versatile cumming though the field,I'd be getten the heck outa Arkansas.Snake killer is a good name for it.
Are ya floating yet Rodd? getting high around here...
It's getting cranked up pretty good around here. This was taken from my backyard today, it's my neighbors pond. I have never seen it run over the bank before. I got my dozer in my yard but I wasn't going to cut him a spillway without him asking. The water was cutting into the bank pretty good over by the dock
Back when equipment got over about 20 feet wide it really started to help with the snakes. Used to be pulling spills in some places the cotton mouths would be nested under them. Back when everyone used black plastic it was really bad. We got a new peice of farm equipment a couple of weeks ago. Have you ever seen one of these before?
I see you made it back from WalMart FarmerBlake.
Looks like a big blue chicken catcher to me...
Or a sorry mechanical bull! :tong I freely admit I know nothing about farming...but I don't have even the slightest clue what that thing is.
Boat anchor?
ATCO beat me to it,"mechanical bull".Youl have to tell us more about it roddy.
That's where the Boar does his Business when your collecting Semen. BTW, You all don't realize what a glamorous life I'm living down here.
Them two pieces of pipe sticking out the sides is for traction I guess:beatsme Personally I haven't tried it out.
We realy do need a fabrication section on the forum roddy.It's built heavy duty!
Uhh...don't bother makin a video of that one. LoL :lmao
I got one of him on a 55 gallon barrel ATCO.
LoL!
I'm saving this video for when I get married I plan on showing the night of my Honeymoon you know, to set the mood.
LoL...razorbacks are crazy people. :yup :lmao
Remember, you've got to be somthing or your nothing at all.
Now that is funny!:notworthy Rodney you did not tell us you are thinking of tying the knot?
Yea i did Rodyo. lol...........i been meanin to put the combine tire pictures up here...i got some of Gaithers combine i saw today these things will walk on water ( the red combine) and ours will float (Yellow Combine) the red one has 800/70R38 and ours has 68/50/32 flotations....... View attachment 53586 View attachment 53587 View attachment 53588 BTW : flotations on the New Holland cut 14 crops this year and they have been stuck once and that one pic wasnt the time it was stuck...unloaded it and drove it out.....lol
I got these tires put on the new steiger today.....they are the like the tires on mike's magnum. 650/65/R42
Looks Good. Have you got any pictures of Johnny's old MFD New Holland Tractor that Brad has now? That's a pretty intresting piece of equipment.
No actually he traded it for a mx 255 last year but it was pretty neat..........im ready to get the steiger out and turn under some ground
I need to burn some piles down at Okean one of these days when it gets dry. Every time I get ready to go down there it rains. We took a couple of hogs up to the barn today and I got to thinking. You ought to be showing a Hog this Winter. Give you something to do.
Yea......they had some for sale in ffa i guess they were yalls?......i don't know what all is included in showing and getting set up or if its even what id like to do. thanks for the thoughtd:drinkup
Since they got the pens up there that's most of the work. I don't know how much work Joe Bob is making the kids work up there for the pens though.:beatsme We took 3 Barrows up there this week that's going to the Dixie Nationals. Tyler is going to walk them and get em used to being handled and ready to show. That little black pig was one of mine, Dale Jr. #8 you know. Mine was smaller since they were bred more for Buffalo Island. I got a Duroc Boar and maybe a Bred Gilt sold over toward ATCO's way. Just waiting on my health papers to ship them out of state.
Yea i don't like Joebob myself and i don't wanna have to deal with em anymore than i have to...:bash:bash Haha yea i saw that little black one all the girls were goin haywire over him..lol ...
Your not the first person I have heard that from. If we could have had more girls at the sale I think I would have sold out. There's two more black one's up there now BTW.
Yea ole JoeBob!! All the boys are stubborn and wont hardly mess with the stuff so its up to the girls...i guess that pays pretty good money....how much would a little black one like that bring
I think the Little Black Pig was $80.00 if I remember right. I sold another one for $125.00 and a gilt for $190.00 out of that same litter that day. I really got some of the best pigs left. They will bring $200.00 for fat hogs and it will cost $80.00 to $100.00 for feed so it's around a break even deal unless you win or have to hold a pig back. Those boys with bigger pigs could have $200.00 to $300.00 in feed when they start trying to hold those pigs back. Also when you buy a high priced pig you have to win something to break even. I bred my pigs more for Buffalo Island because that's the one I wanted to win and it also pays the most. Back when I was a kid it would pay between $1,000.00 and $1,500.00 to win, I don't know what it pays now. There's going to be a lot of Hogs with there Heads Cut Off when it rolls around IMO, so one of my pigs might have a pretty good chance at it.
Yea i could use that money!
If you had some sand ground we could see some "Action Photo's" of that big red tractor.
LOL!.....don't even get me started! im about to die waitin to get on that thing....i was threatenin dad to hook it to the disk and try to disk some of that frozen ground....he didnt like that idea lol ....but heck mike leveled a whole feild one winter with it froze when he leased that mx 240....what are we waitin around for!:beatsme
Cattle Loading Pictures We sold some stock cows so I was at the Farm this weekend and took a few pics. Not much to it. It's just the Pens and one of our Cow Trailers. BTW, around here what we can't baling wire or duct tape together we just wrap a log chain around it a few times and call it good.
You guys running your cows thru a sale barn or do you have a buyer?
We cut 60 head off and sent them to a sale barn up the road that a friend of ours runs. We usually sell them off the farm but these were busting open with calves and we didn't want to calve them out and didn't have a buyer Right Now!!! We used to trade 5 or 6 hundred stock cows a year till fuel got high. A rented farm we had also sold and I got more into excavating again. Trading Cattle is what got us in the Cow Hauling. We started out with one trailer hauling mostly our own stock. Then we ended up with Five. We sold our two oldest trailers when things started slowing down.
Interesting, a friend of mine and me took three of his roping calves down to a sale barn by Monroe (by the state line) last Friday. They got a little to big to rope. I could not believe how high they went for. You got your cattle pots running thru a broker, or are you getting your own loads?
We get our own loads. Most of the time when we start hauling for someone we end up with the deal. We kind of had to start over after fuel went to almost $5.00 and corn went to $6.00 Most of the people we worked for cut way back or quit during that time. We had one guy we was hauling between 10,000 and 20,000 head a year for. Those guy's are hard to replace.
Feel the shakeup over that way? Tiny earthquake over there. I understand a few dinner plates died, sad day indeed.
I didn't feel anything. Course sometimes I weave when I walk to. When I was a kid we lived in a House on a bad curve. At the same time we had a Drunk building a Corral at the farm.:drinkup One night while they was on the phone with him was when we had that pretty good earthquake here around 1976. Course it's "We got to go, I think someone just ran through our house". It's dark so the Drunk is plastered and he says: Well they must have hit it a Helluva Lick cause I felt all the way up here.:notworthy He lived about 15 miles away.
Minny-Moes OK here is a few pictures for td25c, Rodney and ATCO. Pictures 1-3 are a 1050 that my friend just fully painted installed a new motor and new hydro pumps. He has to install the cab and a few other odds and ends yet. It really turned out nice. Pic 4 is a G1000 vista that he also owns. He is getting one of the heads checked out and installing a new clutch in this tractor.
Lookin Good EGS. Down here our winters are not long enough or cold enough to build something like that. Most of our old iron, both tractors and pickups have went north for you guys to restore.
Thanks for sharing the Minni-Mo pics EGS.Your friend done a nice job with them. I worked for a farmer that had Minni-Mo's that ran on lp gas back in the late 1980's .He loved them,had a yellow g-1000 vista like mine,670,red 1050,& red A4T1600 4x4.They were neat tractors.
He really likes his Minni-Mo's too. I am not Minni-Mo man myself but to each their own. I think that he has 2-670's 3-950's that 1050 in the pictures, a 1000 vista, a red 950 (I think) 3-R's. He has a custom built 750 that he made too. I will get some pictures of that if you guys want. He has G1355 oliver too.
Really nice pic EGS. Are those propane fueled engines?
Yes the two in those are LP. He has several of the LP's he really swears by them. It seems that Minni built a lot of LP's verses the other brands of the time.
Tractors on LP We had a 3010 on LP when I was a kid. If you ran it a lot it was fine. If you let it sit a week or more you had to drag it ALL OVER at least a 100 acres to start it. ointhead Or so it seemed, I was just a little kid at the time. I will say about the only thing I remember from watching everyone try to start that tractor ended up being the Backbone of my Vocabulary today.
I don't think I've ever heard of using a diesel to power an aeration fan before. Do you have exceptionally high electric rates there?
Pretty much the same as NW Ohio
Rodney i think its not only that our winters aren't long enough but everyone around here is startin' to act kinda like Josh and are gettin lazy and spoiled LOL! We don't have the patience and we always say were ganna do somethin' big like that when were sittin' in front of a heater
You might be on to something there. I didn't thaw out until a couple days ago. C'mon Spring!
Eat your heart out td25c! The same two tractors in post #237
Very nice tractors EGS.
Wow! The Minni-Mo restoration looks great EGS.Very nice:thumbsup
Arkansas Flood Pics Here's some farm pics after the Levee broke. ointhead
brutal that is unbelievable. i hope you and your family are okay.
Wow! When were those pics taken?
First off, thanks for the thoughts. I live across the river in the hills and only had one piece down there so walking a trackhoe a hundred yards took care of my equipment. These pictures were in a local paper and taken the day after the Levee Broke I think. That is Hwy 67 in the First Picture.........the main hwy between St. Louis and Little Rock. One of my best friends just sold the first house in that picture and I was thinking about buying it. We couldn't get together on the price and it was across the county line so that killed the deal. Lucky me. The farm operation in the second pic is the old headquarters of a farm another friend of mine rents. He's the one whose equipment is pictured at the beginning of this thread. The Caterpillar backhoe in this thread is sitting under the shed in that picture.
East Pocahontas Here's a picture of East Pocahontas.
East Pocahontas.......Again Lets see if this is better
Crop Report It rained 2 1/2 inches so the plows are sitting and I am not working on the Ditch. That means it's a good time to ride around and take pictures
I think that's the first time i've seen a 2wd 8100. I know people order them, but it was still a shock.
When he ordered it he was farming with all Belarus left over from his dads operation. My God that was a Story. One 4X4 and the rest 825's and 925's. He had been renting a 2wd drive John Deere every summer to plant and plow with when he took over. This was one of the first 8100's and he kept it at the end of the rent. Being on 8 row he really didn't need a front wheel assist at the time. It is and was a really unique tractor especially for the time with the 46 inch rubber and tall fronts. There's nothing like it around here and I have seen very few like it anywhere over the years. It will handle a John Deere 12 row planter fine but not the 12 Row Kinze.
Minnie Mo's still on duty in the Delta I went to a farm sale down in the delta the other day and this was in the back yard. The first thing I thought of was EGS. It's good to see some old soldiers still in action
About time you turned up again Roddyo...
I been around for while..........just hardly ever log in anymore. Is everyone going Peanut Crazy over in your area yet?
Well, I have to side with Scott, 'bout time you dragged your arse back in here. LoL
Saw the news report. Have not heard much from farmers though. Some are talking about the giant grass bio fuel.
Nice pictures. We also have a JD 9860 Combine...with a 30' honey bee draper. We also have a 9750 with a 25' honey bee draper. I like the 9860 because we can use a 35' flex header for soybeans. We also have a 876 Brent cart and they are very nice, makes harvest go alot smoother and keeps the combines moving with it's big fast unloading auger. I'm from Arkansas too, what town are you from?
Nevermind, I see the Pocahontas post now. Wow its a small world, I live just 40 miles from you.
Toward Jonesboro/Paragould or Tuckerman?
We farm mostly around Black River located near Dowdy, AR which is near Cord, AR. Cord is sort of southwest from Pocahontas I believe.
He's been too busy out making money to come play with us. :notworthy Just remember I'm no Minne-Mo man buy any stretch of the imagination. That being said, it is nice to see some of those old boat anchors in action. Is that set-up for flood irrigation? Is it set-up to run on LP from a tank or pipeline? Interesting you just don't see anything like that around here.
I never would have guessed you being from over in that area. A buddy of mine and his son live at Strawberry and farm toward that direction I think.
Losing it and spending it is just as fun as making it I really don't know what the deal was on the Minnie Mo. That picture is actually in the back yard of a sub division. I really think it's hooked up to natural gas from the house lines. We have some of that here coming off the pipeline. There is no telling what it cost to pump water with that setup. It lloked like an 8 inch discharge.........here we got 14's. BTW, I saw a Link Belt 2700 for sale in an auction. I'll send you a text.
Strawberry is my address actually but I live near Saffell. Is your buddy Vince Wright and son Spencer?
That's the story of my life!
Vince is who I was talking about. I sold a backhoe over your way yesterday also.......a 416B. I think it went closer to Cord.
I haven't heard anything about the grass bio over here........that's what we need, something to put this dry land ground and some hill land in and make some money. I hope these peanuts get this rice off of this sandy ground.
http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2011/06/17/top_story/doc4dfa7ea233c49995420856.txt The last thing the paper did on it. More details. http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2011/02/17/local_news/doc4d5d3613998c6138681063.txt
looks like the pics my dad showed me of my uncles farm a few years back in North Dakota, when they flooded real bad. hope yall make out ok with the cleanup.
Hey Jacob its noahb195! Didnt know you were on here?
bailing hay We still use the letter series farmalls. We have mostly M,s however we also have a 350 ,300 utility,super a, and some junked B & C tractors. The tractor pictured is a 1944 M pullinh a New Holland 273 bailer. the M has never been overhauled nothing ever done to the engine.
Buy, you guys got it made - We're taxed so bad up here in Ct. this is all we can afford -
This year We bailed and put in the barn 1100 small square bales. And I hauled half of them by myself. Hard on a 64 year old geezer. Lots of beer breaks. However the old equiptment worked pretty good. I had one breakdown. The seal on the M,s belly pump went out. Durn seal was only 70 years old. My M tractor cost $325. The New Holland Bailer cost $425. The international sickle bar mower cost $110 and the wheel type hay rake cost $120. All bargains picked up at auctions.
First attempt at pictures, here is my barn