Thinking about getting a Komatsu 128uu because I am frequently on edge of pavement drop or against cut wall or foundation wall. Is there ANY reason to worry about these transformer booms? I am a gearhead with obsessive maintenance tendencies.
Do you mean where the boom knuckles to the side? My mini has it and it works well, lets me get right up tight to a foundation. I have also found that you can center the bucket in a ditch easier without moving the machine or if you are digging a fairly square hole, just bump the foot pedal and keep going. I hope i explained that correctly.
I have never ran one with a Articulated boom but really like the center swing ones. The only advantage I know of on the center swing is more reach, but if that is not a problem then it would probably work fine for you.
Thanks guys. I guess I was worried about the 2 vertical attachment points right before the stick. But shouldn't be any increased wear there....right????
My machine has just under 6k hours and it has little if any noticable wear in those pivot points. The pins and bushings are huge and are designed for the extra stress, i doubt you could ever wear them out before the machine itself would be totally wore out.
THAT'S what I'm talking about. Thanks dude.
I have about 3400 hours on my pc-75 and no noticible wear. As woochuck said, the pivots are huge and I believe would be hard to wear out. Some here are fairly negative about these type of sticks, but I suspect have never used one. They add alot of versatility to a machine working in close quarters. I have no regrets about mine.
PC-75 Komatsu feedback. Awesome, thanks.
We have a Hitachi EX50URG that has the type of boom you're talking about. The do wear out just like any other joint. When we bought it we knew that we had replace the pins and bushings on it. After we did that we haven't had a single problem with it, its stayed nice and tight, we'll probably never put the hours on it to wear it back out ever again.
Thanks for this input. So the bushings and pins were done only on the 4 artic. joints?
it needed everything replaced to tighten it back up. the 4 artic joints had the least amount of wear on them though. We really didn't feel like tearing it all down again some day just to replace them so we did them while we had it all apart. I will add that after we tore it apart it was ovious that it was used with some sort of pnematic driver, as the bushing were woren more on one side then the other.
Soon to be mine in a trade. What you guys think? I just cannot ignore the fact that almost every operator (who has run different types) prefers Komatsu for the shovel. I mean, its REALLY almost 100% of guys.
one
That's a nice ride. That's a 325 machine with a BLADE???????
its a cat 313 sr
I have to agree, as long as you keep up with your greasing, the articulating pins should last as long as any other. I ran a 308 last year with one of these booms on it, digging around and under an aggergate plant in one of our quarries. The boom is really useful, and easy to get the hang of it. Nice looking purple machine, lol. Hey as long as it digs, right? I think we still have a 228 with an articulating boom on it somewhere.
I know its purple ointhead ointhead.....and pink. *** were they thinking?? I might paint the son of a bitch yellow.
I hear yeah. It's not the first time I've seen a purple Komatsu, but every time I do, I wonder if they ran out of yellow that day at the factory or what?:beatsme
even some of komatsu yellow looks like its off a little
There's a 313 doing a little water job down teh road with a blade on I'll try and get some shots of. It doesnt have the swing boom like the one in your pic but a nice machine all together... but it's a rental and in places needs some love.