How do you pay or get payed for technicians / mechanics for ASE certifications, is it broken down for each certification you get a percent or the need to get to the master level to get any sort of increase in pay.
When I worked for a navistar dealer in Chicago, we got $1 for a single cert and 10 cents for each additional cert. IIRC . Master cert was just if you had 6 or more. Advanced cert like T2 counted for a couple nickles more. But it added up on your hourly.It was almost 20 years ago and money was good back then. A guy could easy bang out 12-1400 take home/week in 40 hours using flat rate.
did they add that into your base pay or was it a stipend.
That was per hour booked. So it added fast.
Per hour wage back then was like 23, maybe 25 per hour. Add to that your your 1.80 maybe 1.90 depending on level of certs. You were making almost $2 over scale. Plus every hour booked over 40 had a nickle bonus up to 10 then it was a dime. There was mad incentive to kill yourself. Back then , pre EGR and emissions you could bang out a "works" overhaul in DT in 16-20 hrs without killing yerself but get played 24
I didn't know there was supposed to be an increase in pay..!!! We were required to take them.. company paid for the 1st set of tests but if you failed, the cost of taking them again was on you.. 25.-50.00 a test..
At an independent shop we pay new guys 50% of the going local company shop rate plus 25% of the billable labor. They have to repair their own come backs. They can give their self raises. That is 50 cents per hour for each certification required on a master certificate. I look at it like this: They should want to do that to improve themselves. With more knowledge their billable hours should go up also increasing their pay. The company should want to do that in order to have better techs, reputation, and also improves the the bottom line.
i'm was required to have 1 ASE cert. refrigerant recovery/recycling. company paid for the class and test. over the past 30+ plus years, all my formal training has been paid for by my employer. meals, mileage, tolls, plane tickets, and hotels
When I was at Transwest Freightliner, every class we went to came with a 2 year commitment debt. If you left within two years you owed them the cost of the classes. I was fully trained on Cummins, Detroit and Allison Unfortunately, Cummins always comes out with something new every few years. So in order to keep top pay you have to keep going back, just as your debt runs out. When I left they took my two weeks of vacation to cover my debt.
So they make you pay to be able to fix theirs or others equipment in order for them to make money? I think in this state if the employer requires you to supply something, like special equipment, uniforms and such, the employer has to pay for it. Might be worth looking into the legality of such a practice. I'm not a fan of ASE anyway.
Something about that sounds illegal as all get out to me...
What's ASE certification?
It is a privately administered qualification, with alternatives, which demonstrates that a government license is not necessary for everyone who does some kind of work. (Do they allow such a system north of the border?)
The ASE is a private company that writes and administers tests concerning mechanical systems and procedures initially having to do with the automobile industry and then working out into trucking. I haven't looked into them in years but I hear they are into correspondence courses now teaching how to pass their tests. There is some good to the programs but they make a lot of noise to the dealers who try to use the number of people who have passed their tests and gotten a sleeve patch as a marketing pitch to customers. I see a lot of community college teachers buying into the system big time and most I wouldn't trust with a screw driver and 9/16" wrench. I wouldn't care much about it except that they tried to use the program against those who were capable but didn't choose to spend their money on taking somewhat dubious testing.
We have our own system for trades up here. Guess that's why I've never really heard much about ASE before.
It does at least require basic knowledge in order to pass. Some are very challenging. States two years verifiable experience is required. I do not understand how high school and trade school kids can say they are getting the same certifications? They may study and pass the test but have no experience and likely can not fix a spoon. If they are selling training does that not discredit being an independent testing organization? Maybe an ASE spokesman will fill us in?
yea ive seen more than a few tech skool graduates with a few ASE's that didnt understand the concept or "righty tighty, lefty loosy" or that a real hammer weighs 4 -6 lbs
The Indy shop I worked in over twenty five years ago would give you time off to take the tests, paid ZILCH as to income but would as noted pay for the tests if passed. But that was 25+ years ago. Nowadays they had to add incentives to keep the mechanics taking the programs or lose warranty status with distributors and had to have ASE quals to administer certain repairs for auto/truck manufacturers where the owners could be reimbursed for on the road emergency and potentially warranty repairs. Guys I used to work with had moved up some in scale but nowhere near to what dealership boys and girls were. Not a lot of draw in the indy shops for young people to get started in.
Need to add let my ASE certs go in '96, have not even considered taking any of the exams since. At that time was Master Auto/Truck, and Cert in HE.