Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Headhunters

DMiller ยท 2018-04-18 08:13

Now on the home front jobs headhunters are calling me as I have a CDL. There are FB ads as to needing drivers, Menard's here in MO is looking thru a headhunter group for THREE flatbed drivers $1500/weekly(does include a weekend day) but no takers. Bogler, has had signs up as has someone in IL advertising in MO for drivers keep increasing wage/benefits trying to lure ANYONE into the offices. Was told by a local that trucks are sitting everywhere and fewer drivers now than at any point previous he could remember. What happens as us Old Fuds fully retire and not enough to haul the feed or supplies we all need?

Replies9
  1. #1Crummy2018-04-18 10:39

    Megas like SWIFT/England/Schneider have a 107%+ driver turnover yearly and complain about "driver shortages". Duh, figure it out big brains. What's going to happen? I guess they will have to come up with an app for that since college degrees in Information Technology (minor in Interpretive Dance) are emphasized and a career in trucking, once an honorable trade, is discouraged. I've also heard recently the #1 problem hiring drivers is: drug test.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2018-04-18 11:44

    That is interesting, I know quite a few including myself that have Class As they are not using and never heard of this. Maybe different market conditions and maybe privacy regulations, how do they get into the driver database?

  3. #3DMiller2018-04-18 11:48

    Do not know how but in MO they have begun to contact the Class A owners to see if they want to go to work. Mine also has Hazmat , have all except school bus endorsements. Initially started on email, then migrated to phone at home and now shows on my FB account. Not that the scumbag FB owner did not sell information to anyone.

  4. #4Crummy2018-04-18 12:02

    I just one this morning (like every morning): lease-purchase a truck AND a $5,000 sign-on bonus*! Went right to the Junk folder. *Terms and conditions apply

  5. #5John C.2018-04-18 18:39

    Had that conversation about a week ago. It seems the younger drivers want auto shifters, blue tooth and premium stereo equipment besides top pay. Seriously through, this driver shortage has been talked about as coming for years. Right now the country has near 100% employment. If you want a job, there are plenty out there.

  6. #6Wes J2018-04-18 19:35

    I don't think there is shortage of drivers for local or regional haulers where guys can be home every night or at least a few times a week. It's the long haul, over the road guys who can't find drivers. I wouldn't want to do it. I don't know why anyone would. Maybe an owner operator who can actually make some money. Not an employee driving a company truck. They will want you to drive 70 hours and make less than waiting tables. I took a psychology class in college and they said divorce rates for truck drivers are among the highest in the country. You can't stay married if you are never home.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2018-04-18 23:05

    If you have any kind of special skills, it is foolish to work in a position where you are fungible. They will give you the boot without a second thought.

  8. #892U 34062018-04-18 23:33

    I frequent another, more truck oriented forum. What these mega (training) companies pay new drivers is disgraceful. I could hardly even afford to make my tiny mortgage payment on what they pay. As much as I'd love to drive, I'll have to wait until I'm debt free before I could afford the financial burden.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2018-04-19 11:18

    Curious what you want to drive? I can't imagine going back now unless my business failed. It would be a good out but I would try very hard to stay local doing petroleum or lowboy or something. But I would much rather work for a company as a driver or be independent as a mechanic is the way I see it. I don't want any Tier 4 garbage breaking on my dime.