Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ash

AmericanLandMgt ยท 2012-03-16 15:28

I am demoing a house that burned down and there is a solid three feet of ash on the ground inside the footings. I have been raking it up and putting it in with the wood to go to the landfill but I am wondering if they will allow it I to the fill because it looks so much like dirt? We are going to bury the concrete on site and there is a little bit of ash in with it but not much. Do landfills generally have a problem with ash or is there something special you do with it?

Replies3
  1. #1TCS2012-03-16 20:58

    Never had a problem disposing of it as long as it had been cleared of friable asbestos and I had the certificate to prove it.

  2. #2CM19952012-03-16 22:19

    Check your state regs on solid waste disposal. I know in Alabama ash from non-treated wood is not a regulated waste, which means you can do whatever you want with it. Problem is your ash is from a burned house that has everything from plastics to heavy metals. You will more than likely need to send all the ash to the landfill.

  3. #3Dozerboy2012-03-17 21:05

    We never had any problems just sending it to the land fill.