In the middle of the night our Polaris side by side caught fire and completely burnt down. Sitting not too far away was our 1845c. The damage isn't terrible on the 1845c but the insurance company totaled it and we some how were able to purchase it back for $1750.00. It needs new tires on the left side along with new hoses up front. My brother in law has owned case and got my started on them due to the all hand controls. After 4 years I'm used to that now so I'm leading on sticking with case unless another brand out there has all hand controls. The insurance company has offered me about $45k to go buy a new/used skid loader to replace the 1845c. I have been in contact with the local dealer (insurance recommended buying from a dealer) and they seem to have a lot full of SR210s. They have a 2017 CE SR210 right now with 850 hours for $45k. I'm nervous about all the electrical. I like to fix things myself and that's where the 1845c shined. Is there anything bad about the SR210? Any certain years I should stay away from? Problem is if I don't spend what insurance is offering, it's a done deal. So unless I can find a almost new under 100 hours pre-emission 2010 and under, I'm leaving money on the table. On the other hand, I don't want to buy something and put 12 hours a year on it and have an engine light on costing $3500 in a tech visit. I would like something with more room than the 1845c. I'm a big guy and haven't sat in the SR210 yet. I like the size and power of the 1845c. It will be used only for property maintainance along with snow removal. Any ideas at this point would be grateful.
I did ask the dealer about problem years and they said they spoke with the shop and came back with '13-15 were years to stay away from due to some push button start control board that was prone to failure. Replacement $$ wasn't cheap but she said the '17 was clear of that now and was some what basic in the cabs with no screens or complicated electronics.
Here is a picture of it.
The 210 is a good machine. Its a medium frame with decent lift and good power. They are a popular machine. I don't know if that has EH or servo. I have or have had 8 Alphas and Bravo machines. The first one in 2012 a TR320 has some EH handle issues that was covered under warranty. I have not had EH issues since then. I would get a Bravo machine is you can swing it. The backup camera and new display is very nice. Yes its more electronics, but its worth it. Much easier to change EH settings and provides a ton of info. If you haven't sat in one, you should. Nothing wrong with an Alpha, I still have a 2018 SV340 which has been good, but the B series is really nice. I do like the Red paint.
What would your thoughts be on a 2019 caterpillar 242D3? Local dealer has one for $40k with new tires along with new spare tires. 950 hours.
I don't know much about them. You don't see many around. The 259 seems a lot more popular.
I believe the sales guy told me it was the same frame but was a wheeled machine. He recommended wheels due to cost and snow removal.
Yes he is correct. The 242 is a vertical lift machine, the 210 is a radial lift machine. I should have compared it to a CAT wheeled machine. I don't know if lift design matters much to what your doing. Less hinge points on radial a 236 would be a comparable model. What I like about the CASE machines is they have a DOC insteaad of a DPF filter on the newer machines. So you don't have a filter to deal with. DOC is similar to a CAT converter on a car. Probably the best thing is to go run them and see what your thoughts are. CASE offers a switch to go from H pattern which is what the 1845C is to ISO. Cat can offer that switch but you have to pay to have it installed, otherwise you will need to adjust to ISO. All that said, CAT makes a good machine as well.
Any issues with the FRT engine? We have a TV380 here at work and the engine was already rebuilt once. Then had several emissions issues after that. I ran across around forum on here that a guy stated they had four SR210 and all four engines had to be replaced. Case went ahead and replaced them but makes me a little nervous about them.
Another thing that concerns me about Case (that might be with others) is the guys were installing the rebuilt engine back into the TV380 and they forgot to plug in a sensor on that DOC and the whole system went crazy. Even after finding the problem and plugging it back in, it still had to go to a dealer. Dealer said the system thought it was getting tampered with and locked everything down. He said it's the dumbest part of the system. He said he has even had several units get towed in because a sensor in the exhaust sensor goes bad, gets replaced with new, but the system still detects tampering and knocked the unit down to idle only.
I have never had an issue with any of the engines I have had in a CASE, from Cummins, Iveco or FPT. If you had 4 engines go down in four machines, I would have to think there is some operator error involved. They can break like anything can, but over all, FPT builds a good engine in my experience. I would still rather have a DOC than a DPF knowing that at some point that has to be pulled and cleaned or replaced.
Maybe I'll give the 17 sr210 another look.
This is the link I spoke of. Viewing a thread - Case SR210 skidsteer, Good and Bad???