I am taking a test and a question came up about What min. temp. you can start paving. I have always heard 40 degrees and riseing. Is that true? And two other questions. How does the FAA pay for asphalt, cu/yd, sq/ft, tonnage, meteric tonnage. I put meteric tonnage, not sure on that one. also they asked what is the FAA min. requirement for asphalt lifts, I put 4 inches , was I correct. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron E.
Let me Google that for you. (Cause I don't know either.) Just curious, what sort of test are you taking that's so FAA-centric? And welcome to HEF.
Couldn't help but wonder what kind of test that would be as well! Sounds like one of those situations where you will do more paper work than paving!
RE0491 answers questions about test. I am taking my Heavy Highway Contractors Exam in VA. I missed it by a couple of quesitons. These were some of them. They asked a bunch of questions on FAA Regulations for Airports. I am not that versed in FAA Regs for Airports. That is why I needed your help. And thanks for the welcoming.
The FAA pay factor is usually by the ton, however you also have to take into account that the contractor usually have to produce consistent densities that are 93 % density in the joints and 97% across the mat. Aviation design is also P401 asphalt which is an awesome mix design once you figure it out. Get it figured out and it becomes rewarding to earn a 1.06 pay factor. Wedge fixtures make getting Joint densities easy! Not sure about VA, but in Texas, minimum surface temp is 50 and rising, unless you are using a PAVE IR bar for quality control and in that case minimum SURFACE temp not air temp becomes 32. Hate to see it go that low especially with the newer RAP and RAS mixes, they are hard enough to pave with and maintain high quality when you do have good temps! WMA is rapidly becoming the mix of choice by many TXDOT Districts.
thanks for the information The pay factor will help me out, that sounds pretty standard. The minimum surface temp still sounds tricky. It looks like a different mix has different surface temps requirements. I should go with the 32 min. I am thinking. Once again thanks for all the good informaiton, it will come in handy.