Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Asphalt Clean Up

chrismatin ยท 2014-11-25 11:16

Bought a nice truck, but has dried asphalt all over frame & tar on hood. How do I get this junk off, without screwing up paint? Thanks Men!

Replies7
  1. #1Catback2014-11-26 09:04

    I would clean it off with denatured alcohol on a 100' day (viscosity), and then immediately wash with a good truck cleaner, whilst not smoking or having flames about.

  2. #2fixou8122014-11-26 13:02

    You may want to try a heat gun or 1000. Watt halogen. And some diesel

  3. #3grandpa2014-11-26 18:56

    I've had good luck with brake cleaner.

  4. #4dozerman4002014-12-03 13:49

    :beatsmeI know vinegar took some concrete splashed on my truck off. may be worth a try.

  5. #5Multiracer2014-12-03 18:40

    For old dried up tack and asphalt heat will be your friend. Some mixes now contain plasticizers and latex. Once cured they will only flow again using heat. You can actually douche the chassis with diesel or kerosene,soak, scrub,scrape, hot pressure wash and then soap it all down with a good butyl based soap to remove the residual oils. Your chassis will be spanking clean and begging for a good lookover and a grease job. I have a 2006 T-800 quad and have been paving both full time and occasionally since new. You won't find any gunk in my trunk !:tong or on my chassis. Good luck PS. Mineral spirits or stoddard solvent in a spray bottle will help with the hood and daily maintenance once you get it clean.

  6. #6580bruce2014-12-03 18:48

    We use a cleaner called "Orange peel" I think its made by Zep

  7. #7Multiracer2014-12-04 06:32

    A local municipality here uses a product named " soy solve" for all of their asphalt and degreasing needs now.