Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Asphalt thickness

Landclearer ยท 2013-10-04 17:41

Hi Guys, I figured there is no better place to ask this than on this forum. How thick do we need to pave with surface mix to get a compacted 2 inches. I know the final density type of mix and temp make a difference but I am looking for something close. Almost forgot, we will be using a Cat CB24 for compaction. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1huckleberry2013-10-05 05:31

    If I remember correctly, it's approx. 1/4" compaction per inch. we would go 2 1/2" to get 2" compacted asphalt. hope this helps

  2. #2Landclearer2013-10-05 06:17

    Thanks Huckleberry. That is what I thinking but was not sure. I appreciate the help. Chris

  3. #3dirtmonkey2013-10-05 10:42

    That's the way I remember it. Once we started paving I used a stab rod to periodically check depth. I made my own out a piece all thread. I ground the tip to a point. Then get a fender washer and two jamb nuts. Just measure up to the uncompacted thickness and set your washer and nuts.

  4. #4Landclearer2013-10-06 15:43

    Dirtmonkey, thanks for the advice on the depth rod. Going to do just what you said. We have graded for years but this is our first time paving so thanks for the help.

  5. #5Jfarris2014-06-24 14:09

    I always figure 20% more for compaction for small jobs where your going to use lighter 3 tn rollers, 25% if your using large rollers.