Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aspiration Conversion?

KomatsuD31p ยท 2010-07-30 23:43

Hello Everyone. I have a komatsu D31p-20 it has the straight six in it. It does not have a turbo. I was wondering if anyone knows of a kit or way to retrofit or if its even a good idea to try. Any help would be thankful. Any one with questions I can try to help. Thanks:beatsme

Replies3
  1. #1thebaz2010-07-31 03:29

    I am not sure about Komatsu, but I know there is a big difference between the components on most factory turbo motor compared to it's naturally aspirated version. While you would more than likely have enough of a safety margin built into a naturally aspirated motor to accept a turbo, it means there is much less margin for error and so may shorten the life of the motor. I once fitted a turbo using genuine parts to a non turbo Mack truck, but they use the same parts in turbo and non turbo motors. Baz

  2. #2John C.2010-07-31 14:59

    That engine has more than enough power for what the machine can handle. Why would you want to spend the money to install a turbo on it? As I recall the were a 6D95 engine and a turbo engine has different pistons and fuel settings. It isn't something like sticking a Banks turbo on a Ford diesel. Getting your investment back would be next to impossible.

  3. #3KomatsuD31p2010-07-31 18:50

    well thanks for the info. Was just curious because the machine is direct drive and i think that a turbo woul dhelp keep the engine spooled up but who knows was really just curious. Thanks guys:usa