I have an older Asplund Chipper, I believe it's a JEX style... I'm trying to figure out what engine is in it. Its a FE style big block Ford engine... I'm thinking it's a 360 but the stickers on the valve covers are worn off. Does anybody know what the engine options were for this style chipper. I believe it has a cracked piston and would like to see if I can find a replacement engine from a salvage yard. The engine is mounted via the bell housing and the front timing cover.... thanks Joe
The older Asplundh chippers typically had ford 300 motors in them. Sometimes guys have swapped out and custom fit a different motor but I'd guess ford. Can you post a picture? Guys on HEF are pretty good at dissecting stuff off a pic!
Ford 300 I-6 cylinder was a very common engine for those chippers. You can find Asplund orange, 300 power units for sale from time to time for under $2k.
pretty hard to mistake a FE big block for a 300 I6.......The 360 has the smallest stroke of the common FE engines.You cannot ID a FE engine from the outside with the exception of a 427.Common method is to pull a spark plug and put a rod (welding rod) down the hole and turn the engine over by hand and measure the stroke..A 360 has a 3.5 stroke,390's are 3.78 and 410/428's are 3.98.... Can you see the casting numbers on the heads...They are between the two center spark plugs A 390 is a direct replacement for a 360 Cory
My question is why care what engine it has, a 351, 360 or 390 car or truck engine ought to go right in there and chip wood without you noticing much difference.
To a point you are correct...it doesn't really matter if its a 360 or a 390..Know 351 weather its a 351C,351W or 351M will interchange with it...nor will the Lima series 429/460.. Its not a big deal to fix a broken piston
Thanks for the replies........... My concern with the correct identification is this... I was doing some research and read the there is the possibility that some of the pilot bushing areas of the crank can be different sizes. Not Being a Ford guy I'm using a cautious approach. I will try, this weekend, checking the casting numbers on the heads and see if I can locate a date code in the fuel pump oil filter area and also get a measurement on the stroke. I realize the piston can be changed... however that could possibly involve machine work and I'm thinking I can get a salvage engine around here for 400 or less... I have no idea how the clutch pulley set up is and if the pilot in the crank would be a big deal or not. This engine at one point had a factory governor on it which makes me think it could have come with this engine new... but who knows.. even with 1 dead cylinder it has plenty of power, just uses a quart of oil an hour... lol, it does help to keep the mosquitos away.
There is a slim possibility it uses a industrial engine..These would be 361 or 391..The bigger trucks also used them and they are FT series..The cyl head numbers would be a indication...I believe the exhaust manifolds/ports are unique as well.. Finding a running 360 doesn't sound like its a problem if that's what it has..
Do you know what the difference is between the FT and FE engines.. other than the displacement.... are they basically the same other than maybe the internal components ie: pistons being a little stronger? I'll get the casting numbers for sure.... Thanks...
I am no expert on FT's but I know the distributor bore is much bigger,the crankshaft is steel with a bigger snout and there is something different with the centre two exhaust ports.. Some casting numbers are needed..The block may have a number on it as well but its kind of generic (eg.C7ME-A) Cory
Correction to my earlier post: that number should have been a 352, that is the FE version of a 5.7 liter engine, the 351 came later. It's been so long since I messed with FE stuff it is starting to fade....
here is a picture of the drivers side head between the center spark plugs.
here is the pass side head same location,
here is the intake numbers.. 7
and this is from under the oil filter area...
here are a couple of the bellhousing.... there are mounting bosses on either side to support the rear of the engine to the frame....the only number that I can see on it without pulling the pulley setup are what I would assume is the date code..J141
I also pulled a plug to try to get the stroke and came up with a little less than 3.5 inches... but since that's definitely not the most accurate way I'm gonna say 3.5". It looks like it has 4 bolt holes for the side motor mounts but since I'm not familiar with the Ford products I'll post a picture here.
Well.....that would be FE stuff..The heads C8AE-H are std 68 FE heads...They are some times call GT 390 heads but that is only true if the exhaust manifolds have a diagonal bolt pattern..If the bolt pattern is vertical (2 per port) then they are just 68 FE heads used on everything. The intake is a 1975 truck one.. Still could be a 360 or 390....Need to measure the stroke.The back of the crankshaft is different as well but I imagine it is far from visable.. Cory
well the bottom of the bellhousing is open so I can probably see the backside of it if that will tell me anything. I did the welding rod down the plug hole and came up with about 3.5 inches.... but it seems as though the motor is made up with different year parts with the 1 head having the casting number but the other not having it and the intake off a 75 motor... would the casting number of the flywheel help? I can see the backside of that if the casting number is out towards the ring gear.... have you ever seen a bellhousing like that with the mounts cast into it? ... thanks
Yes it looks like its made up of a few years of parts...the 4bolt engine mount bosses came out late 1965.I haven't seen one of those bellhousings before... Oil pan looks like a stock truck one... Can you see any of the casting numbers on the exhaust manifolds Quick lesson on ford numbers..."C" is for the 60's,"D" for the 70's,"E" for the 80' and so on....next number is the year followed by a engineering number and or car line...C8ZZ would be 68 mustang, D2TE would be 72 truck....the rest of the part/casting numbers aren't important right now It is starting to look like a 360...
After more reading the date on the block is March 31 or July 31 of 1971... I'm going to check to see if I can see a number on the back of the flywheel and I'll see if I can locate anything on the exhaust manifolds... any idea where to look on them? They are pretty rusted....
A picture would do....
Drivers side exhaust manifold... you can see the difference with the manifold style compared to the Pass side with the C8AEH head... this one has a different bolt pattern.
This is the Pass side that has the C8AEH head on it....
Nice stuff.....C8 head is FE and that looks like a mid 60's exhaust manifold.The other head would be a FT head with its weirdo exhaust manifold.I guess it got a quick repair for some reason and they just used what they found. The valve covers are early 70's by the looks of the font used.Oil filter bracket/housing is common Ford pick-up.The car ones had the filter facing down......Its been a while but I am sure the FT head uses much smaller valves than the FE heads.......Cory
I would really like to up grade to a newer engine... like a 302... better on fuel. the Asplund drive that bolts to the bell housing.. the horizontal bolts are 8 1/2' center to center across and the vertical ones are 4 11/16 up and down..... is that a normal ford transmission bolt pattern? and if so..did they use that same pattern in the 80's? I'm sure if that would work out I could make a rear motor plate off the bell housing to support the rear of the engine. Joe
That bolt pattern I am not familiar with..I checked a few of my 4spd's (car stuff) and the vertical pattern is way off..You may be able to make a adaptor to a more modern bellhousing depending on the depth of the bellhousing...You maybe better of stuffing a FE back in it...Non of this is out of my realm but I don't think you'll be in the neighbour hood anytime soon.....Cory
Cory, I think you should do a road trip and do a wild big block for the wood chipper, so the chips look like they are coming from sub orbit. Cam, Headers, the full race chipper.
Good Idea Hank....my 427 isn't in the car right now.Its back on the stand getting some aluminum heads...I am sure it would spray some chips.....
Nice..... I "could" convert it to a chevy and put the 302 out of my 69 Z28 in it.... 7500 rpm and it would do the same thing...lol
Except there is no substation for cubic inches, My motto..............some is good...... more is better..... and two much just right...... This works for all thing cool drinks and Horsepower.
true story... but it is what I have...lol
I may be a Mustang guy or Ford in general but there is nothing wrong with having a 69 Z28..........leave the engine in it.It will be more fun that way....Cory
yup... that's what I was thinking.