I am looking for some information on the first generation JD850 dozer. We always have one hell of a time getting parts and the parts guys swear there was no 850-E, though I now realize they may be thinking that we're saying the sticker on the hood says 850-E. Anyway, the unit we have is stamped as 850-E on the serial tag and I understand that to be an "extended track frame" model that was later badged as a "-LT" in the 850B and later. The serial is "3427??T" and we can't quite make out the two digits in the question marks. What exactly is meant by "extended track frame" in this instance? Is that the length of the track on the ground, measured from front to back? What benefit did the extended track frame offer? Also, I'm curious if anyone knows how to decipher the serial number to determine what year the dozer was manufactured. Also curious if any other interesting information can be gleaned from the serial? I also see the 850 referred to as a Low Ground Pressure model and in other spots it looks like it was an OPTION on an 850. I'm assuming this was the dozer with wider track pads, possibly shorter cleats? Did this require the extended track frame, or just a wider track stance? I see on the JD parts list, it appears for example, that the lift cylinders were drastically different between the normal and the LGP model, so it appears there were normal 850 and LGP 850. Lastly, are there other numbers on the dozer that we should be taking along with us when we head to the parts counter? Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist!
Back in those days I believe the letter after the model designated the factory where it was produced. Used to work on a 510-D backhoe when the B models were the newest version available. The LGP option was 43 link tracks instead of the 37 link standard, one extra track roller, widest shoe shown is 38 inches. Serial number will get you all the right parts exclusive of options typically and I wouldn't worry too much about the last two digits.
Thank you for the information! We also need to rebuild the left hydrostat transmission. The local JD dealer sends them to a local shop, but that shop says they cannot work with us directly. JD charges more than three times what the local shop would charge directly, if JD would allow them to do so. Anyone have experience with getting a shop to do this BESIDES the JD dealer? DIY is an option too..we need a winter project.
I won't swear to it, but I seem to recall being told it was basically Sundstrand pumps and motors with lots of modifications. Depending on where you're located, you might call either www.flinthydrostatics.com in Memphis or www.weshyd.com in Cali. Avoid Hydrostatic Transmission Service like the plague, seriously. No offense but a hydrostatic pump or motor is not something you want to repair unless you have the tools and equipment and also the training. Can you do it? Probably. Should you? I don't and I think I'm bulletproof, lol.
We're in the center of the country, but thank you for the links.
Fluid power in Buffalo, NY I had a set done for a 655B track loader about 6 mo. ago, the motor case was made by deere but the internal components are sundstrand.
Hey Jeff.. I see your from Towanda.. I grew up in Sayre.. Small world..