Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ASV RC 100 bucket dumps on it’s own.

Nicker ยท 2008-09-29 10:14

I have a mulching head and a bucket that I use on the ASV. My problem is that both these attachments will tend to drop or tilt down when I'm not on the controls. My guess is that either the seals in the cylinders that hold these up are shot or I have a check valve (If this machine has one) that needs replacing. Can anyone give me some good advice? Thanks, Nick.

Replies8
  1. #1Squizzy246B2008-09-29 10:51

    All my Cats have done this....it can normally be traced to my bulging wallet in the thigh pocket of my work trousers.....when I relax my legs a little it presses on the base of the pilot control and operates the control I apologise if thats not "good advice"

  2. #2shane2008-09-29 11:51

    LOL Squizzy-Do you have drifting cylinders or are you just REALLY happy to be digging? Nick-If a bulge is not your problem, always check cyinders first. Isolate each cylinder with caps and plugs on the lines and the rod-end cylinder port, pull the rod-eye pin on the opposite cylinder, and lift the boom and check for drift. Drift=bad piston seal on the capped cylinder. No drift=cylinder okay. In either case, check both sides the same way. Port relief or check valve is another story. Keep us posted and good luck.

  3. #3tonka2008-09-29 11:57

    :notworthyspread the wealth around man:drinkup

  4. #4HeyUvaVT2008-09-29 13:37

    our rc100 does the same thing...we have the loftness timberax which weighs about 2500lbs...the cylinders are always going to drop pressure when you arent using the machine..your bucket will too over time...how long away from the controls are you talking and how much drop? ours will fall a foot over the course of an hour or so...that would seem normal...a foot ina few minutes however would be different...

  5. #5HeyUvaVT2008-09-29 13:39

    what part of VA are you in?

  6. #6Nicker2008-09-29 15:38

    I'm in Lynchburg and the lighter attachment (bucket) will drop a foot in a minute. with the engine running. I'm not sure I understood Shane. Is he saying switch the hydraulic lines? I can do that.

  7. #7shane2008-09-29 20:22

    No, Nick-don't swap lines. Lay the bucket on the ground, engine off. Pick one cylinder, and disconnect the lines. Plug the lines with steel caps or plugs. Cap off the cylinder rod end port, tightly, with a steel cap or plug. Lightly cap or leave open the base end cylinder port. Remove the rod eye pin on the opposite cylinder. Now if you lift your boom, gravity will pull down on your bucket, and you've isolated one cylinder from everything else. If it drifts down, oil is leaking past your piston seal from the rod end of the cylinder into the base end. The bucket will pull on the rod and leaking, the piston will move. The oil volume on the rod side of the piston is smaller than the base end of the cylinder, so as that piston moves, the base end port will want to suck air. That's why you leave it loose or uncapped, so you don't draw vacuum and spoil your test. If it does not drift, that seal is tight. Either way, you need to check both sides the same way. If neither one drifts, your problem is not your cylinder seals. Next I suppose is rod end port relief, but that's another long-winded post.

  8. #8shane2008-09-29 20:38

    I don't know ASV-I'm assuming here that the tilt rod eyes attach to the bucket-end of the works. Most do, I think Toyotas were an exception..... ANYWAY.....the whole test is the same, but you have to tightly cap the port on the cylinder that will want to squirt a lot of oil real fast if the bucket dumps, and leave the other side open. AND, if it's the other way around, with the cylinder bases attached to the coupler, instead of the the open port sucking air it will push a little oil. It's all moot if you don't have steel caps and plugs handy, and I don't even know what kind of hardware ASV uses. JIC? ORFS? Now that I've successfully confused myself, I hope Nick understands me. ASV's are about as common as Democrats in my AO