Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 287B 140hp with steel tracks .

Iron Horse ยท 2008-09-25 02:05

Cat 287B 140hp steel tracks . Now this is more like it . Base machine is a Cat 287B with a 140hp C4.4 ACERT engine , 40 gpm @ 5500psi . And a high sprocket steel track undercarriage to top it all off . Made by Supertrack , it's a SK140TR-B . And the only thing that will stop me from getting one is the big puddle between it and me . http://www.supertrak.com/PDF/SK140STR.pdf

Replies16
  1. #1John H2008-09-25 06:10

    I have run some of Supertraks equipment before. I think they biuld the best mulchers on the market. They are pricy but well worth it. JOHN

  2. #2CM19952008-09-25 20:21

    Who makes that undercarriage?

  3. #3Digdeep2008-09-25 20:29

    They do look nice. One of the complaints that I hear about them is that Supertrak has a very limited dealer/service network in the U.S. I'm curious on whether they have ever sold any of them down your way and how do they support them.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2008-09-25 21:39

    X2! Looks like a solution to many problems.

  5. #5Iron Horse2008-09-26 23:05

    I thought the big puddle was going to be the only thing that stops me buying one . $195,000 +10% tax , +15% duties , + customs , + shipping , i'm out . I don't know about the undercarriage , it looks to me like a modified version of the standard rubber track undercarriage with the sprockets and rollers swaped out .

  6. #6mouse2008-09-27 03:24

    try 195k + insurance+ Shipping + customs charges then plus GST on all of it. you should be able to land it to your door for about 8k inc customs charges give or take as a guide assuming it is all you have in a 20' container and it fits in said container. I'd be surprised if there is any duty on the unit. To the best of my research the tariff classification is 8701.90.1939 which attracts 5% duty for most places but is exempt for USA originated goods. therefore your cost landed here should be around (195k + 8k)*1.1 i do assume that you've removed any local USA taxes, handled the USD conversion? makes you wish you'd bought it 2 months ago when we had almost dollar parity - now its effectively gone up 20% or so... and I'd also be sure you are well aware of how AQIS make it next to impossible to land anything second hand here - I did consider a bit of importing of second hand gear but without either going there and preppin git myself (or finding someone local i could trust) i would be taking a huge risk of aqis rejecting entry which'd triple your freight and then some by the time you took it out to singapore, had it cleaned and brought it back in again. 6 months ago a 47" buddy davis with the shipping volume of about 50' * 20' * 55' was east coast to brisbane $55k usd inc customs and cradling.

  7. #7Iron Horse2008-09-27 20:04

    I'm sorry , i overlooked your question . I'm not sure and am only guessing but i'd say the Cat side of things would be covered by Cat warranty , as for the undercarriage we may be on our own but would outlast any warranty anyway . The heads would have either Arwi or FAE warranty that we could get here . Ive attached a photo that shows a better view of the track frames , i want to make it known the photo belongs to "jrizman" over at TBN as i could'nt find a better one and i'm sure he wont mind .

  8. #8Sandhills-elect2008-09-27 22:41

    Looks like hell of a machine!! Set-up looks like a ctl with steel tracks with heavier rolls and such with a carrier. I bet it would be a little loud, but with that mulcher chopping everything to bits i bet you would not hear the tracks. Nice pics, like to see things that are not everyday machines. See ya around Brent.:drinkup

  9. #9iron kid2008-09-27 22:59

    how are they getting 140 hp

  10. #10Iron Horse2008-09-27 23:41

    I'm told it's a re-flash of the computor , but for a 40hp gain i'm thinking it may also be intercooled .

  11. #11Squizzy246B2008-09-28 01:19

    The 287 runs a C3.4 (3.3 litre Mitsupillar engine). The C4.4 must be part of the upgrade.

  12. #12mouse2008-09-28 07:17

    hydraulics are not my field but so this thing is supposed to put out 40gpm at 5500 psi. my formula to convert those figures into hp is flow * pressure * 0.000583 such formula coming off a tech website. plugging the figures in i get 128hp give or take. am i incorrect then in assuming that to achieve those flows you will have next to zip engine hp left to drive the machine? ro thgat to drive the machine you'll pull off the flow/pressure figures to the mulcher? or is ther some multiplying effect of hydraulics that takes less engine hp in and gives more hydraulic hp out?? which would seem to me to contradict my understanding of physics. i'd also assume that formula is a 'pure' one that makes little account for the effect of loss, friction, heat etc. just curious...

  13. #13biggixxerjim2008-09-28 10:53

    its about time somone put steel tracks on a skid..... now these machine arfe really becomming useful!!!

  14. #14John H2008-09-28 11:29

    Rayco has been doing it for a while. The the tracks look like they may be Berco. They look like the same tracks as the Rayco. Not a 100% though John

  15. #15shane2008-09-29 10:35

    Mouse- I didn't check your math, but it sounds about right. I believe the stated pressure of 5500 psi is the relief pressure, and under normal operating conditions the pressure would be considerably less. I would guess by about half.

  16. #16rmp22012-07-10 11:14

    Probably a bit late as you more than likely got one already but theres a SK140STR in Bisbane.