Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ASV RC100 stuck in rabbit mode

Traskrider ยท 2022-12-13 10:33

Hi All, greenhorn and newbie here. I have an ASV RC100 that is stuck in high speed range. before this It would randomly whitch from rabbit to turtle while driving (not pleasant). Now it's now stuck in rabbit mode. I have checked the joystick button and it seems fine. The spool valve on the solenoid block is working as I swapped it for the occupant switch which is the same. (swapped both coils and valves) The door, lap bar and occupant safties seem to be working fine. With the machine running when you drop the lap bar the speed indictor light briefly flashes turtle then goes to rabbit. Not sure where to go from here. There is a two speed controller box (size of a pack of smokes) below the joystick that I'm a little suspicious of. Any help would much appreciated. God Bless America!

Replies6
  1. #1Arny L2022-12-13 16:27

    i think you would have either have no drive or no loader controls if the lock outs or pilot control solenoids were a problem, But your machine moves, and loader works, Im assuming. Id be thinking thinking the problem is the 2 speed contol. Check fuses, and probable relay involved. I think there is a oil control solenoid for directing oil to the appropiate speed. check for bad wiring to solenoid or bad solenoid.

  2. #2Traskrider2022-12-14 10:35

    Arny L Thanks for the advice. Yes, the machine moves and the loader works fine. I have a two speed controller box on order. Fuse and relay are ok and the solenoid is working fine. I have taken it out and bench tested it. Tech support at ASV told me to take the 3 hoses off the solenoid block for the two speed circut and cap them. This should make sure it is in low range. I did that and the machine tried to move but struggled. I think "brake" was not released due to no pressure from one of the hoses not being connected. Just a guess. If the new two speed controller doesnt fix the problem I might try removing the solenoid block and check for obstructions. Thanks again Arny I'll post my results when successful.

  3. #3Coaldust2022-12-14 13:15

    Rabbit mode you say? Mr. Groot welcomes new guy Traskrider, to the HEF. And he approves this thread.

  4. #4Arny L2022-12-14 14:04

    Its important to check for ground integrity at solenoid, as well as power. Grounds can appear to be good until a load is applied. Check ground at solenoid. by unclipping connector, backprobe ground side of connector, run your back probed wire, through a 4amp bulb, to battery or positve. If you dont have a spare headlamp bulb, you could use a test light . It should light bright. If its dull, or not grounded, then check ground wire from controller to solenoid with ohm meter. head back towards controller or connector, which ever comes first.

  5. #5old timer2022-12-14 14:17

    That 2 speed controller is actually a latching relay. Fixed an RC 100 last year with that problem. You are on the right track! All I have done in the field to make sure that it it stays in 1 speed, remove, cap and plug the 2 lines at the pilot generation block, both marked "BR" They are the signal lines going to the motors. Good Luck.

  6. #6Traskrider2022-12-26 14:33

    I got my turtle back! Just an update to my issue. I replaced my 2 speed controller and my problem is fixed!! I now have high and low range back on my ASV RC-100 Thank you all for the advice much appreciated.