Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

At work yesterday

Tradesman ยท 2013-06-26 18:52

I was setting used 72 ft. double trusses as you can see by the one pic they have been in a pile on the ground, but before they where done it was straight. It is amazing to watch these men work, by the time I was packed up and ready to leave it was strapped and they where putting facia boards on. The ministry of labour would of had some comments, but its hard working guys like this that make things happen

Replies7
  1. #1Knepptune2013-06-26 20:08

    How big is that spreader bar? I can't believe those trusses weren't squirrelly as all get out with that. If we go over 65 ft we use a 32 ft spreader with a stiffener on the bottom cord. Btw looks like a bunch of Amish or mennonite guys. Those guys can build stuff fast but they can sure get an inexperienced operator in trouble. The ones i know will test an operators skill. They want trusses coming to them fast. Btw I get a headache every time I see people running their runners out 8 or 12 ft. Makes an operators job three times harder then it has to be. I will say I enjoy working with those types of guys. They will definitely keep you on your toes. Looks like a fun day.

  2. #2Tradesman2013-06-26 21:50

    Your right they will run you if you let them, I have mine well trained, they like working with me so what I say goes They really good guys with great sense of humour. The spreader bar is 10 ft, these trusses where doubled and went up really well, we also ran with two tag lines. On single trusses I have a 25 footer that I had engineered it hooks into the top cord and rides up against the side of the truss giving it lateral support,but if I don't need it I don't use it, controling it as you hand it over to the guys at the truss pile is a pain. They put there runers on the truss on the ground and grab them as I swing in ,works well. These trusses are at 7 ft OC.

  3. #3td25c2013-06-27 22:30

    Looking good Tradesman.I allways enjoy setting trusses for amish carpenters..........It aint never boring I did have to give one amish carpenter a hard way to go the other day..........He and myself were disscussing the best way to rigg up the trusses before the job started then all the sudden his toolbelt started ringing!And he pulled out a cell phone I ribbed him pretty good for that. All in all they are good people to work with and know the job.Is that a poultry building they are putting up in the picture?

  4. #4stumpjumper832013-06-27 22:35

    Surprised to see real hardhats on them. If you have never seen one, you need to see a barn raising at least once in your life. Nothing like 200 craftsman all working together efficiently.

  5. #5RocketScott2013-09-08 22:33

    amish working with a man lift and a reach forklift. Love it.

  6. #6dbl6122013-09-09 19:40

    trusses looks all good tradesman. nice to see a crew getting along with you. around here the truss companies require you use a spreader for peaked trusses over about 35' and a spreader on all size flat-tops.

  7. #7Tradesman2013-11-08 21:19

    A client of mine had a bad day he was combining beans when everything came to a stop, when he checked the engine he found this, one of the rods sticking out through the block, by the time he got a nieghbour to help finish the last 20 acreas it started raining and didn't stop for two weeks. I lifted old engine out and put new one in