Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ATS for older onan

Ted Allen ยท 2024-08-05 09:28

I have an older onan diesel generator... I will be using it for my home and shop backup....single phase hookup. on the tag 120 240 volt hookup says it will putout 190 amps. I will be supplying current to my 200 amp breaker box. It is one of the older...probably 70s or early 80s generator. The wires were just cut when removing and there are 5 controller wires plus the ground. I need to find a ATS to use on this...I notice a lot of the ATS only can be used with specific generator controllers. Can someone point me to what ATS brands and type I need to look for?

Replies10
  1. #1MarcusZ19672024-08-05 10:02

    Is there a wire diagram on any of the covers? Can you get a pic of where these (5) wires terminate inside the genny?

  2. #2Ted Allen2024-08-05 11:22

    Thank you Marcus...I will get the pics later when I am there!

  3. #3Ted Allen2024-08-05 13:05
  4. #4Ted Allen2024-08-05 13:11

    The red black and yellow attach to the small terminal block you see in the pic. The black and white don't go into the control panel. they would run from the breaker panel at the house to an engine block heater. So only 3 wires and the large black ground wire go into the control panel on the gen control box. the red wire changes to yellow when it goes into control panel.

  5. #5Ted Allen2024-08-05 13:13

    And the only wiring schematic is the one to change the gen wires from 3 ph to single ph and different voltages.

  6. #6MarcusZ19672024-08-05 13:55

    If you don't have to have a ATS, there is this option. ABB 200 Amp 240-Volt Non-Fused Emergency Power Transfer Switch (TC10324R) TC10324R - The Home Depot Run your backup generator with this UL recognized GE Non-Fused Emergency Power Transfer Switch. Features metal construction. www.homedepot.com Or you might need to contact Generac. I've been looking at their 200A ATS. You might look at that green board closer and see if anything matches with this ATS wiring. See pages 16 and 27.

  7. #7Ted Allen2024-08-05 18:06

    Thank you Marcus, I will have a look

  8. #8crane operator2024-08-05 21:24

    @Birken Vogt I think he does a lot of genset work.

  9. #9MarshallPowerGen2024-08-06 00:56

    As with all equipment, post your model/serial and it makes it much easier to help. The Cummins/Onan ATS remote start wiring were set up with B+, GRD and RMT wires versus the standard 2 wire start. They can be converted to work with other brands though.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2024-08-06 08:59

    What is your model and serial number? Picture of the tag? You are going to have to get some better pictures of the circuit board area. The Generac switch will not work, it needs a Generac generator to control it.