Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D398 Natural Gas Conversion

EM Technician · 2024-08-01 20:34

Has anybody ever converted one of those caterpillar D398 Diesel engines sn 66B8892 to run on natural gas instead of diesel. The engine came off a generator set. Any information would be appreciated on what would be needed to get it done. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Coaldust2024-08-02 01:11

    A few years ago, that was a very popular conversion. People were buying up every 6 and a quarter bore engine they could find and selling peak power, wherever natty gas was cheap. Texas comes to mind.

  2. #2Jimbo2024-08-02 14:38

    Yep, and now there are plenty of them stacked in drilling company's yards, waiting for an export buyer to find them Start in the Midland/Odessa area

  3. #3Coaldust2024-08-02 14:45

    Interesting. I didn’t think that was sustainable for the long term. I imagine they are cheap. Basing a business plan around an 80 year old engine platform sounded sketchy. But, hey I love a six and a quarter bore as much as the next guy.

  4. #4Coaldust2024-08-02 21:19

    Here is some D399 love. 035B04207. Built in 71 and still keeping the lights on. I did a major on her in 95. One of my diesel graduates carried the torch and did a major on her last year. Too funny.