I need a set of attachment hooks for a front kift group. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get them? I want to get a V-Plow and the one I found does not have them. If I know how much the hooks will cost me it will tell me if I can afford the plow. Thanks!!
call balderson in kansas , they make a quick attach, as well as a lift group. One would think they sell the hook part as a replacement part or as a fab part to make your own attachment.
I just got two of those hooks for a push blade for my 140g. I got them through my local Cat dealer (they are Balderson) for about $240.00 apiece. They are ready to weld on to whatever you will be mounting on your grader. Good luck Vernier
heavylift- That is what I thought. I sent them an email on monday and no response. So I thought I would post something on here. Thank You!! vernier- That price sounds pretty good. I will have to check the cat dealer and see what they have to offer. Thank You!!
I made a few of these hooks myself. I think I used 3/4" x 4" x 4" bushing stock. Trimmed the inside a little for a loose fit then cut in half with portable cut off saw. I then welded them to a piece of 5/8" x 4" x 36" piece flat iron. reinforced the top a little with a piece of 1/2" iron. You can also use a piece of 4" channel iron for the hooks. I will check my dimensions tomorrow and get back to you.
hotrod49er--I wondered if a person made some if you would need the top to be rounded over. It seems that if you had enough to reach over and down the back side and the fit from front to back was good and snug it might do the trick. Do you have a picture of your hooks? I'm one that always does best with pictures. It usualy can answer a lot of questions just to look at the picture. Thank you!!
I can get u a pic and you do not need a snug fit on top because all they do is pick it up just enough to get pins in. They hold your attachment in place. Probably wont be til Monday with pics.
I think the Balderson are forged hooks w/ribs over the top. Very strong. Falls has fabricated hooks with double or triple ribs over the top, and a little extra taper to the opening at the bottom. I disagree with other posts on one important point. These hooks need to be very strong. When you are plowing heavy or hard snow, and you get yourself wedged in, you will want to be able to lift your plow straight up, to break the hardpacked wall of snow that you have just created. It gives you "wiggle room" and allows you to lift your plow high enough to clear snow that may have fallen behind the plow. Mount your hooks and pin-eyes carefully, and you should never have to use a hammer to hookup or unhook from your plow. I guess I would make a trip to a county shop or a private contractor to check out the mounts on their plows. Make sure the plow is sitting on the ground properly when you fit everything. You need to be able to get lots of lift to clear snow while backing out, but enough drop so you can engage your hooks easily. Whenever I unhook from mine, I always try to park the nose a little up, because it makes grabbing the hooks easier the next time. Proper planning and good solid mounts will save you time and reduce future headaches. smoothoperator...been at it 30 years, and still learning something new every day
We have converted some Osh Kosh plows to hook up to balderson lifts. Have not had one problem with these fabricated hooks. And believe me the county I work for has some young guys hard on equipmnet. Think they need to go wide open all the time. Down time is no time.
We have shop-fabricated hooks on our dozer attachments, and they see lots of hard use, too. Knocking down trees to boosting scrapers, and everything in between. Ours are well built, and we've never had any problems, either. I do wish I had a power pin puller. Maybe next year. smoothoperator
First two are on plow and last one is on a front scarifier.
I thank you all for the replies. I have used the attachments with these hooks but they were always factory hooks. I just didn't know if there was something special about them that made them too difficult to make for yourself. By the sound of it I think I will just make a set and go from there. I will post some pics when I get them done to see what you think.