Hello - I recently purchased an 850g with 24" pads. The previous owner had bent one of the track pads on the outer side of the machine, and it binds (doesn't overlap) the shoe to the rear of it. Because of this the chain has a kink to it and I would like to fix/replace this pad and not run as is. The pads all are at 1.5" of grouser height remaining from the top of the pad. I believe a new pad is right at 2", but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The pad is bent approximately 1" from the outer bolt holes to the end of the pad. Is this something that can get pressed back remotely straight? Can you cut a "V" into the grouser to assist in straightening it then weld it back up? Or would I be better off just replacing the pad? If I replace, do I need to cut the grouser down to a similar height so there isn't one pad with a taller grouser on it? Does cutting it hurt/damage the pad? I would use likely use plasma cutter with a straight edge as a guide. After removing the pad (what a chore with the existing bolts and yes I have new ones!), this looks like it would be pretty hard to straighten. I have a 20 ton press, not sure if that would be enough. Thanks for any advice.
Replace pad cut grouser down to match with torch or plasma
^ yes Did you remove the bolts with a torch?
An aftermarket pad should be cheap. I wouldn’t waste hours trying to straighten one at all.
pad will most likely break it is stressed already just get another one
Thanks for the info! I will just get a new pad. I was able to get 1 bolt out with a 3/4" impact, but I used a cutoff wheel and air chisel on the other 3.
A cutting torch and a delicate aim gets that done in 1 minute............providing you have the torch on hand. How long did it take to get those other 3 bolts out?
If you get enough practice you can lick a bolt right out of a threaded hole without harming the threads.
We used to straighten track pads a lot with P&B turns if they were bent. 100ton press and a small jig for the purpose made easy work of it. I wonder what has changed that it's not a good practice any longer?