Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Attempting to repair pilot valve 345BL

Jeremy Whittaker ยท 2022-11-30 23:01

I'm going to attempt to repair my pilot valve that is leaking hydraulic fluid. I found the blown-up version of it in SIS. But nothing that explains how to take apart the armrest or disconnect the hydraulic lines. Is there a manual or something that explains how to replace these?

Replies16
  1. #1heymccall2022-11-30 23:36

    It all comes out the top. You'll need 4 at #22 & 4 at #23. I've done them in machine (still mounted) before. It is imperative that the tank pressure be relieved. And, the best way to eliminate oil loss in the cab is to to disconnect (after carefully marking) the 6 lines under the cab floor, IF they go to a bulkhead connection. Some machiness pilot hoses go to a bulkhead, and some go all the way to the main control valve and tank.

  2. #2Jeremy Whittaker2022-11-30 23:41

    Just to make sure I understand... 1. Open the hydraulic tank to relieve pressure. 2. I can leave it connected and work on it in the cab without removing the 6 hydraulic lines but I risk leaking oil? 3. Order quantity 4 of PN 22 & 23. 4. Replace those and put it back together. Pretty easy repair? Or any surprises I should watch out for?

  3. #3Nige2022-12-01 08:13

    Here are the procedures from the service manual to both R&I and D&A the pilot control. It may help you.

  4. #4Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-01 09:28

    Thanks!

  5. #5Dave Neubert2022-12-01 09:32

    Just unscrew the joy stick and the vlves come out of the top no need to tke valve out wont lose much oil just do one at a time

  6. #6Bluox2022-12-03 02:20

    When you remove the plate be careful those plungers sometimes come out like rockets. If the seal carriers don't pop right out cover the valve with a rag and tap the plungers with a hammer. You need 4 of #23 seals and#4 o-rings . Cat should have a seal kit for this valve. Another set of hands will come in handy. Bad Bob

  7. #7Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-03 10:41

    I ordered 4 - #23 4 -#22 Are you saying there is another valve seal kit I need to buy? How do I reference this?

  8. #8heymccall2022-12-03 11:12

    No, he's say I screwed up. You need #4 seals, not #22 carrier. 22 are metal and full reusable. My sincerest apologies.

  9. #9Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-03 12:07

    Wasn't sure if he was saying #4 or quantity 4. Thanks!

  10. #10Mobiltech2022-12-03 13:11

    Check number 7 joint for wear also. They can get pretty sloppy in the pins.

  11. #11Nige2022-12-03 13:15

    It appears that there are three different Part Numbers of pilot valve listed depending on the age of the machine, and the repair parts are slightly different between the three of them. Can you see any P/N tag on your pilot valve.? 133-8873, 164-9497, or 193-1050.? Based on 19th October 1998 Date of Manufacture it appears that your machine 4SS01066 should have "Type 2" pilot control valves (164-9497) unless they have been replaced conmplete with the latest Type 3 valves at some time since.

  12. #12Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-03 13:25

    The machine is not near me I'll have to see if I can find one next time I'm out there.

  13. #13Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-04 22:47

    Can't find a model number anywhere on this thing. https://photos.app.goo.gl/RtZTXDXPmsxEmhux6

  14. #14Bluox2022-12-04 23:11

    Part Part #24 in your parts picture. Bad Bob

  15. #15Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-05 00:36

    Ah, I'll look for this next time I'm out there.

  16. #16Jeremy Whittaker2022-12-12 23:05

    I just wanted to take the time to say thanks to everyone on this forum who has commented or helped me fix something. I never would have attempted some of this stuff without the support of this group! Thanks!