Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Auger

Brews4me ยท 2015-11-26 17:47

This could be is a really stupid question but here goes! I've got a Deere 310 SG pretty much equipped with all the needs to run an auger. Where does one go to get a used auger at hopefully a reasonable price??? auger.com??? cheap.auger.com???? I'm not finding these things pop up too easy on CL or Ebay. I'm sure the Deere dealership will sell me one at 5K though!

Replies19
  1. #1Delmer2015-11-26 20:03

    You could try machinery trader. Purplewave, RB? Auction zip has auction listings around here, not sure if they're nationwide. There's lots of them for skid steers, some for backhoes. That's the kind of thing that seems to come up where you least expect them sometimes.

  2. #2Brews4me2015-12-13 15:21

    Ok, I'm a newbie with this Deere 310 SG hoe and even more to an auger drive. Can someone give me pointers on how to buy an auger drive??? Are they universal in nature to hook on the boom? I need an adapter right, or does the drive come with the adapter typically? Are there some good and some bad brands? They come in different shaft output sizes right, what should I get to do my task and be usable in the future for other tasks? I'm mostly looking at digging out holes for fence post like railroad ties or 8X8's for gates. My Boom is ready to the end with aux lines. Any help will certainly make me smarter than I am right now, Thanks Much folks!

  3. #3Walker12015-12-13 16:26

    Narrow it down to 3pt or hydraulic first, then what hole size and how deep, then decide on your budget.

  4. #4bvfdfire2015-12-13 17:45

    we rigged 2 510 deere hoes several years ago to drill holes in a tree nursery. drilled over 2 million holes before we were done...... i dont remember the brand, but we didnt do anything different to the hydraulics. we simply used the bucket circuit which gave us bi directional rotation and no need for an additional valve or anything. it had the mounts included when we bought them.

  5. #5Delmer2015-12-13 18:57

    If you're looking for used, you usually have to take what you can find. A three point pto driven auger is going to be much cheaper and easier to find.

  6. #6CM19952015-12-13 20:21

    Any hydraulic driven auger with two hydraulic lines will work, you just need to have a bracket fab'd up to put on the end of the stick to hold it. I had a Bobcat auger attachment I could take from the skid carrier bracket, install the mini bracket and drill. It wasn't a newer auger that could switch easily, we fab'd a bracket to fit the mini. What size and depth holes are you wanted to drill?

  7. #7Brews4me2015-12-13 20:31

    i'm thinking 2 foot dia holes and maybe 36" deep. But i'm thinking the hydraulic way is the way to go on this hoe, even though it will be more costly. Don't really understand how a PTO and 3 point would even hookup??

  8. #8stumpjumper832015-12-13 21:33

    Pto and three point are not an option. Your going to want hydraulic. I run a McMillan x1975 auger off my tak midi hoe. Running the auger off the hoe is the way to go, drills awesome. You have to be careful cause you can mangle a skidloader grade bit if you horse it. I bought my set up for just less than 3k new w/ a 6" bit.

  9. #9Walker12015-12-13 21:45

    Come on, 2 million??? Really? That would be one hole every square foot for over 45 acres.

  10. #10bvfdfire2015-12-13 23:26

    they were spaced on 30" centers on over 450 acres. and it may have been that many, i do know that it was 15,000 daily each because the 2 of us were competing against each other. we each had jigs to mark the holes with paint and a laborer marking ahead of us. each hole was 18" by 9" deep. the intent was to place 30 gallon tree pots in them so that wind would not blow them over. worked well till the ground got saturated and they noticed that the trees were dying and figured out that they were holding water and causing the roots to rot. i spent 7 months on that site drilling and the other operator spent 5 months there, this was after we spent 7 months clearing and grubbing with 2 7's and a 950 with a rake. after all that, those holes lasted almost a year and a half, then it took a month with the same 2 7"s to fill them all up.

  11. #11Juskatla2015-12-14 01:11

    I'd be concerned with trying to do a 2 ft dia hole unless it was soft soil or you had a serious auger setup. Very large augers are used for boring column foundations but they are a lot bigger than a tractor. Utility trucks have augers for pole holes and they are not usually 24". You might consider looking into their specs to get an idea of what you will need for that large a hole. Slow will be pretty much mandatory. Will be interested in seeing what you come up with.

  12. #12Brews4me2015-12-14 15:29

    This is very similar to what I thought would work best??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyYgkXXnsM

  13. #13Queenslander2015-12-14 16:05

    We sometimes use an 18" auger with a hyd. drive on a farm tractor. In hard digging, we put a pilot hole down first. Works better than you might think.

  14. #14Roddd2015-12-14 19:40

    How's about renting one? I'm sure a Deere dealer in your area could rent you one. It depends on how long you need it for and how often you would use one.

  15. #15joe--h2015-12-14 20:50

    I'm mostly looking at digging out holes for fence post like railroad ties or 8X8's for gates. i'm thinking 2 foot dia holes and maybe 36" deep. If you want to set 8" posts a 10" or 12" auger would be good. Why would you want a 24" hole for an 8" post? Joe H

  16. #16Brews4me2015-12-14 20:57

    Well, Railroad ties I believe are bigger than 8x8? But 24" was overkill, could be less, just planning a max size that a drive will handle. but the auger itself isn't the hard part since it is the replaceable part and the drive shaft doesn't change.

  17. #17old-iron-habit2015-12-14 21:28

    We rented 24" augars and used them on 50 HP skidsteers often at my pre retirement job. Great for 24" piers with sonotube tops. I have drilled them as deep as 8' with that setup with no issue in hard clay. Rental costs run $140 a day at our local rental shop with one augar. One can drill a lot of holes in a day.

  18. #18Walker12015-12-26 09:26

    Crap,that IS a lot of holes!

  19. #19Landclearer2015-12-27 15:39

    We have a used one we had mounted on an excavator. I believe we have a 30 auger for it. We would be interested in selling. If you are interested send me a pm