Now this is just cool. Too bad the don't sell anything like this with in NA. I would also here center pivot vs side-shift. What does it mean power side-shift is optional?
On the side shift, the swing pivot is mounted on horizontal rails so that the whole boom assembly can slide left and right. It would come in handy if you needed to dig a trench next to a wall. You would be able to get the pivot closer to the wall to have a straighter cut at the trench.
The side-shift lets you work the same as the house swing on a mini-x. But what does "A new slider frame design has the option of a powered side shift" mean?
If I am talking about the same thing you are then it means you can have a fixed swing or a powershift (side to side) swing. The power would come from a hydraulic cylinder to slide the pivot left to right. May I ask what site you are looking at? I might not be thinking of the same feature that you are refering too. :beatsme
I thought they were all side-shift so i was confused as how you could have an un-powered side-shift, but maybe they're not side-shift till you add the hydros? I was looking at the Austrailian Caterpillar site and i found that quote under the side-shift backhoes. I know what side-shift is and how it works, I'm just confused as to how it can be an option on the "side-shift hoes". :bash I have been told the stabilizers on side-shift hoes don't allow the for as much stability as center pivot hoes, but i have don't know anything more about them.
Cat Australia Would this be what you were refering to? If so, then I guess the power is an option.
I've owned a slide shift mounted hoe and to move the hoe on the bar you would release the hydraulic lock, swing the boom perpendicular to the machine and either push or pull the hoe assembly across the rail by planting the bucket in the ground and use the hoe hydraulics. I would imagine a power option would eliminate this procedure and require just the movement of a hydraulic valve with a built in cylinder or gear system dedicated to moving the hoe on the slide bar.
I thought the idea of a manual slide would be something like that but the only ones I have seen were the powered ones. Good info Steve. :thumbsup
OK that's what i got to thinking after starting this. It just seemed weird to not have power standard. I guess if you don't use it much why pay for it. That would be nice for digging square holes b/c you would have move so often. That crab steer angle blade trick looks pretty slick. Has anyone run a 4ws compact loader? I think the JD 244J is like that. Any more thoughts on side-shift vs center pivot and big wheel vs small wheel?