Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Austin Western Grader

Michael Dunk ยท 2019-06-03 20:22

OK, hear is what happened. We have had the Super 300 for a couple of weeks now and I have been out a number of times with it and it has worked well. I am in southern Colorado at 6500 ft. grading roads for our HOA we have about 20 miles of roads. When the roads are dry they are like cement with a lot of large embedded rocks, when they are wet they are like mush. Today the roads are like cement. So I was grading the best I could and hit a large rock and the drive shaft broke. The u joint came off the differential. The question is are the u joint anything that can be purchased new or do I have to find one in the scrap yard. more info I have a couple of serial numbers PGU 1687 this serial number is on the ripper frame R366 7598 this serial number is on the graders frame engine is a Detroit diesel Thanks for any help Mike

Replies5
  1. #1check2019-06-03 21:14

    Most U joints are generic. Just take it off and go to a truck shop.

  2. #2Delmer2019-06-03 23:48

    Did the cross break? or did the yoke break? We usually replace a "u joint" but the cross is the part we're replacing, I guess the whole thing would be the U joint technically. The cross should be easy to find or order, the yoke a little harder.

  3. #3Michael Dunk2019-06-04 21:02

    I think we have the u joint covered, at least we have one on order. Next question The shift for high and low range is throwing trans oil out. The rubber boot is in place. I haven't taken any thing apart is there some sort of gasket under there.

  4. #4check2019-06-04 21:44

    Maybe rainwater found a way in and it's floating the oil to the top. I would unscrew the drain plug and let a little out to check it.

  5. #5Michael Dunk2019-06-20 12:20

    Thanks for the answers. turns out that what looked like was coming out of the trans is actually dripping out of the stearing valve or motor, I don't know what to call it. It's right where the splined shaft of the steering wheel goes. I hope to find it just needs a new seal. Anybody know about Fuel caps I have what looks like a 2" pipe comming out of the back of the cab but the treads are fine and a pipe cap does not fit.