Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Austin Western Model 55 steering issues

gr8rwrx ยท 2017-10-31 11:19

Sorta' new to the forum. I've got a Model 55 Austin Western that I'd like to get back up and running. The thing that I see that may be an issue is the steering box. It looks like it is a "non oem" part, but fairly close. Steering shaft turns but feels like either splines or gear teeth are knocked off. I haven't taken it apart yet and probably won't till after Thanksgiving. Just trying to get a feel for what's out there. Thanks Rick

Replies2
  1. #1Geno7952017-11-25 10:01

    Rick I have one on a machine I am parting out/scrapping. Call me if you have interest. 309-8zero8-878zero. Eugene

  2. #2gr8rwrx2017-11-26 05:35

    Thanks, I'm interested. We've just started the process of getting it cranked up. Pulled the exhaust/intake off so we can repair a crack in the exhaust and freshen up the carb. It should be running before Christmas. I told Mr. Dan we weren't gonna take the steering box apart till it was running because I know how distracted I can get. It will make him happy if we can find one that works. The one that's on it now is a "non-original" replacement. I may create more work trying to install an original one than fixing the box that's on it now. But that's nothing new. Thanks again Rick