Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Grader Make Is This?

Hartman-52 ยท 2017-10-23 17:11

I have been searching the internet trying to identify this brand of grader but can't find another one that looks like it for identification. Can someone please identify what make/manufacturer and possible model this grader might be. I think it has a diesel engine. Any idea of the approximate year and value?

Replies32
  1. #1ovrszd2017-10-24 10:22

    Sorry I can't help you. Very straight machine!!!! If you buy it and get it going post a thread!!!!

  2. #2mitch5042017-10-24 10:47

    It looks like an Austin Western, except that it is two wheel drive. If it is an A-W, it's very old. I'd love to get a better look at it. Maybe post some pics of the circle, the grill, and the transmission area.

  3. #3mowingman2017-10-24 12:00

    Since it is in Canada, "Champion" comes to mind. Although I have never seen a Champion exactly like this. Just a guess.

  4. #4Hartman-522017-10-31 00:18

    The identification of the mystery grader has been solved. I was finally able to track down the owner and he told me it was made by Motor Coach Industries who may be the same company currently still in business and are a major highway and city transit bus manufacturer located in Winnipeg, Canada. I can't find any internet literature on this yet but that would explain why the grader was so hard to identify. It is apparently a 1960's vintage and is in great shape with full hydraulics, tilting front wheels, power circle and power steering. It has an IH gas starting diesel engine believed to be a WD6 tractor engine. Any major concerns with this motor besides proper shutdown procedures I've been reading about? I can get this grader for a very good price so I think I am going to snap it up. Thank you to all who tried to help me solve this mystery. I will post additional pics and info when I go to see it in the next few days.

  5. #5ovrszd2017-10-31 18:42

    I'm excited about it for you!!!! You gotta update this thread if you get it bought. And then of course action pics/videos when you get it going. Good find!!!!

  6. #6Hartman-522017-10-31 20:45

    Thank you ovrszd I'm pretty excited about it to. Going to see it tomorrow and likely close the deal. I'll take lots of pics it looks in great condition. Too bad winter is here so I won't be able to work on it until spring. I just sold my diesel skid steer so this will be a fun project.

  7. #7Graderfan19812017-11-12 15:16

    have never heard from the manufacturer Motor Coach Industries, i wish you good luck with the grader and i have interest on more pictures soon

  8. #8Hartman-522017-11-16 19:33

    Thank you for your interest! I ended up purchasing the grader for a very reasonable price. That machined is built like a tank with heavy plate steel beam and support structures everywhere. Having being built in 1954 it is in remarkable condition so it should be an easy resto. Since it is winter here now, I have left it at the farmers place a few miles from where I live until springtime. The grader is built by Motor Coach Industries in Winnipeg where I live close by. I cannot find any info for it online but since my serial number is 134 they must have built at least that many. I should also post this unique grader on the bauforum.com but it's in German so not sure how to register. The engine is an International Harvester WD-9 gas starting diesel commonly used on their tractors of that era. On one side you can see the magneto, spark plug wires and an up draft carburetor. On the other side of the engine you see the fuel injection pump and injectors. There is a lever in the cab for the gas to diesel change over that you push down on and it decompresses the engine and turns on the gas system. This hybrid engine starts on gas with the spark plugs. Once it is running and had a chance to warm up a little bit, you switch in the cab and the engine closes off valve off isolating the spark plugs and increasing the compression ratio, and you open the diesel throttle (on the injector pump) at the same time. If the engine is warm enough enough, it will catch on diesel, and then operates as a normal diesel engine. The grader has full hydraulics with a manual circle. I would like to add power steering and thinking of either using a hydraulic ram or orbital valve steering. Any advice and especially pictures of a similar grader steering conversion to power steering would be appreciated. Here are some pics of my new toy.

  9. #9Hartman-522017-11-16 19:50

    A few more pics.

  10. #10Hartman-522017-11-16 20:07

    A few more pics.

  11. #11Graderfan19812017-11-18 18:55

    Thanks for your interesting detail pictures from the grader, very interesting one Can i use some of photos for the facebook group about graders? i write down your user name and forums name from here.

  12. #12Hartman-522017-11-18 19:53

    Yes by all means please post the pics on the grader Facebook page. It is a very unique machine and built by a very famous motor coach building company still making buses today in Winnioeg. This a llittle background info........ "In the midst of World War II, Motor Coach Industries (MCI) utilized its entire production capacity 24 hours a day to support the war effort by building Jeep trailers, boat trailers for rescue craft, army truck bodies, pontoon bridge sections, and reconditioned aircraft pontoons. In 1942, MCI built and designed the first electric trolley bus manufactured in Canada. Model 1532 remained in active service for 25 years. After the war, coach manufacturing resumed, and the company diversified into producing road construction and maintenance equipment, such as road graders and trailers. During this decade, MCI continued to expand. National Products, a subsidiary, manufactured and sold pole line hardware for the Prairie Provinces rural electrification program. National Porcelain, a sister company in Medicine Hat, Alberta, manufactured porcelain insulators to complement the pole line hardware items.

  13. #13ovrszd2017-11-19 10:02

    Awesome update with pictures!!!!! I look forward to a video of the machine in operation, especially details regarding the engine switch over system!!!

  14. #14mitch5042017-11-19 13:19

    It's just a regular old IH diesel, right?

  15. #15Hartman-522017-11-19 13:38

    It is an IH gas starting engine then diesel running after it warms up a little. It is a model WD-9 engine.

  16. #16mitch5042017-11-19 14:17

    Yep, IH diesels started that way

  17. #17Hartman-522017-11-19 14:36

    Sure beats having a second pony lawn mower motor stuck on there to maintain.

  18. #18mitch5042017-11-19 17:13

    Wasn't a bad system at all unless your operators were stupid. I used to go the dirt pit first thing every morning to start the dozer and leave it idling. That way if a truck got stuck, another driver could pull him out.

  19. #19Graderfan19812017-11-19 18:09

    Thanks so much, that i can use it, i think i will do it next days and thanks for your information about the manufacturer

  20. #20Hartman-522017-11-19 18:47

    Winter has set in now in Canads where I live so I won't be working on my grader until spring time in late April or early May. I wish I could have it in a heated shop over the winter so I could enjoy working on it. I want to paint it and add a torque generator steering power steering unit. I just sold my diesel Bobcat so I am.excited about doiny a resto on my new toy. I will be using it to smooth out all our main ATV trails in the forest that are very sandy and subject to getting very bumpy. I will take some video and more pics and post them in the spring. I think the addition of a torque generator steering unit should work well now I just have to find one off an old tractor.

  21. #21Graderfan19812017-11-25 18:25

    I find weeks ago a picture from a grader which is in the Reynolds Alberta Museum, it seems that is the same type: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=gm.10155869517757146&type=3&theater&ifg=1

  22. #22Hartman-522017-11-25 22:16

    Thanks for sharing that. You have a good eye and I think that grader in Alberts is the same Motor Coach Industries make as mine. I know someone who works at MCI and he is going to ask in Administration if there is any info on them in their archives. I will also contact the Alberta museum since I would love to find a User Manual for it although I did order the WD-9 engine manual and shop manual and parts manual which are readily available on eBay.

  23. #23Graderfan19812017-12-02 19:08

    I wish you good luck that they have a manual, i am glad that i remember that this was the same grader that you have. I find the link only 2 weeks ago earlier when you start this posting here, interesting

  24. #24renaud2018-01-28 13:37

    Congratulations on your new toy!! One thing is for sure is that you got your hands on a RARE bird.....and a terrific collectible as well. The only problem i can think of with such machine is finding spare parts if needed....... Enjoy eberything you'll do with that old boy. Max.

  25. #25Tones2018-01-28 17:04

    With them WD 9's and other Inter engines of that era it was best to switch back to gas before shutting down for the day. It made cold starting so much easier. Gees, sometimes I astonish myself with the stuff I've remembered.

  26. #26RZucker2018-01-28 17:12

    I remember the same trick with TD 18s and 14s. Something about clearing out the diesel fuel residue and starting with dry cylinders ?

  27. #27Hartman-522018-01-29 00:54

    The WD-9 motor was a fairly common tractor otor of that time period. While motor parts are beoming harder to find, they are out there. As for the hydraulics, no problem there as they are just regular hoses and rams and control book. The chassis is built like a tank and should have little trouble maintaining and the wheels/tires are still common sizes today.

  28. #28Hartman-522018-01-29 00:57

    Yes that is correct. Switching back to gas does flush out the diesel residue and makes gas restarting easier next time. Another important benefit is that it helps cool the engine down properly and helps prevent the head from cracking.

  29. #29Hoffa2018-10-15 22:27

    Just new to the site, I have 2 of these graders both straight gas I think Ih U9 power units. One is in nice shape spent it's life on municipal roads. The other one is for parts, had a hard life wheel weights on all 4 wheels has a scarifier mounted in front of molboard and steered with a hydraulic cylinder and control no steering wheel. Need info on engine, both ID plates in poor shape.

  30. #30JimInOz2018-11-02 02:20

    THe REDPOWER FORUMS site has great info in the ENGINES section,plus a lot of guys who know the IH gear very well. FP SMITH in California do IH engine parts.

  31. #31uptight excavating2019-01-01 17:23

    Hartman 52 I spent many hours on that grader. It was in our family for many years and only recently that it was sold to the fellow that you purchased it from.

  32. #32old-iron-habit2019-01-01 22:38

    Hartman52, I am concerned that your wife will be upset with you if you spend to much time with that grader. I know a guy in Minnesota that has many old toys. He will take it off your hands to help keep your home life happy and stress free.