Has Anyone seen a Austin Western Steering Box on a salvage or parting out grader like this? mine is used up and needs to be replace.
Fixed my Champion gearbox by replacing it with a cylinder, a steering valve off a massey 300 combine, and a flow control valve. didn't cost a lot, did it one day. If you can't find the parts you want......
Thanks 562C The cylider is there you can't see it in the picture maybe I just need to find a gearbox with the same input and output shafts and same ratio and adapt it to the mount. There seems to be very few of these sitting in salvage yards if any
I can just see the end of it (I think). I completetly eliminated the steering box on mine, I'll try to send a pic or 2 on the weekend.
Here is a better picture of the cylinder on the steering
Pics of my repair. Champion of this vintage had a power steering box. Mine split wide open one day shooting oil about 20 feet in the air. If you look you can see the split on the front of the box on the first pic. Flow control box ($100) to limit oil to steering valve and pass excess back to tank. 2 lines to steering valve from 300 massey combine(free). 2 more lines to the 2X10 cyinder from Princess Auto ($125). Lines were on the shelf. Steering bos is completely out of the system, just taking up space now. Pretty dirty, I had a bad o-ring on the flow control valve that I fixed, haven't cleaned it up yet.
That looks very nice. I guess I could do the same thing and just hook in to the cylinder thats already there.
Depends. What activates the cylinders that you have now? If they're hooked up through a valve thta's part of the cylinder, not sure how to get around that.
Your right I don't think that will work on mine. I was thinking I could find any old right angle gear box and build a new mount if the shaft size where the same. Not sure about the ratio in the gear box I'm sure that would make a difference.
Steering box Hi Daver Hey I'm down in Bend, OR. If you still need help call or bring it on down and I'll fix it up for you. Good luck, Paul Kingsbury 541-325-6027
Hi Daver Back in the early 60s i operated a Austin Western in the US Army, i dont know how old it was when i started operating it, but i am all most Sure the the Machine had Hyd. Front Steering, i will have to go back at look at some pictures and see, i don't remember a steering box setting up there like that, it was a good old machine, I was in France around the Verdun area, That old UD 14 Engine was very easy on Diesel, I never saw another one of these Old Machines after i left the Army,
Thanks for the reply everything I can find out is this was a field upgrade it all looks factory. I sure can't find anyone else with that steering.Mine has a 3 cylinder jimmy. Good old machine if I can get the steering fixed. I bought mine in Montana there looks to be a lot of them up there. Sure not many here in eastern Oregon.
If it's got Hydro cyl for steering you can do a full hydro conversion and eliminate the steering box. Our AW's both where changed over years ago. We use a rocker handle in the cab instead of the steering wheel that activates the valve depending on which direction it's moved. All you need is a center open, dual direction valve. Some of the AW's have an auxillary valve already on the valve bank. Yours doesn't have a ripper on it but if the valve is there you could plumb from it to allow steering control. Just a thought if you can't find a gear box. That box is similar looking to the one on the gallion 202 and 303 graders. J
Thanks Jerre Thats a thought I would like to keep the steering wheel just because you don't have to look at the front wheels to know which way there turing as much. I've talked to people that have run the tiller steering ones and that was a problem.
It's realy what ever you get use to, The AW that i ran in France back in the early 60s had a T Bar to steer the front, the rear was steered by a lever on the Right i Think, it been a long time, its like when you are driving your car or Truck, you are not watching the wheels, you are watching in which direction you vehicel is moving, of course in your case it might take a day or so to get use to it, but with the T Handle, it was about 10 or 12 in. across with a knob like on each end, just bunp the knob down in the direction you want to go, in high gear it handled well, or you could go down the road like a Dog, running side ways, That was on a 4X4, good luck, You have a fine Old Machine, you don't need a Computer to work on it