I just bought a 1976 Austin Western Super 300. I had just unloaded it off the lowboy trailer and was driving it up to my shop and had a near disaster and wrecked it. I was going up a really steep part of our driveway and the transmission popped out of gear and it started rolling backwards fast. I was steering it away from going back down the steep road and instead into the trees and crashed into a tree. I'm not sure if I want to fix it now or part it out. I was wondering if anyone ever put disk brake driveline brakes on them or if the drum brakes are OK if they are operating correctly? It looks like it has two driveline brakes and one is pretty big, you would think they would have worked really good originally but maybe not. From the wreck Im going to need a radiator, cooling fan, engine cover, air cleaner assembly, air cleaner piping, air cleaner pipe flex hoses. I think I can probably fix the grille that holds the radiator. Hood got shoved into and punctured and dented the hydraulic tank and fuel tank but I can fix that. It was a bad day but at least I didn't go careening off the side of the mountain which could have happened. I'm also going to need to fix the transmission so it's not popping out out gear and fix the brakes so there is no doubt that they will work.
Wow, that must have elevated your heart rate during that ride!
Yes it did.
With enough patience you should be able to fix it good enough to use. Once you remove the damaged stuff, you can re-evaluate
It's heartbreaking to hear of your accident. I think you should be able to fix it enough to use it.