Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

australian backhoes

coopers ยท 2006-07-08 21:52

Why do the backhoes in Australia have those different looking outriggers? What's the benefit of those over ours? Blake WA

Replies28
  1. #1Squizzy246B2006-07-08 23:04

    Restricted access, working up against a wall etc. A lot of our stuff is European spec (because of the way the Dollar has been) and in European thats the way it is mostly...for the same reasons.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002006-07-08 23:35

    Those type of stabilizers are really not that great but as Squizzy said its good for working against a wall but thats about it. I would rather have fold down outriggers you get a wider more stable stance. Most North American backhoes have a fixed boom it doesn't side on a track across the back of the machine as the one in the picture posted.

  3. #3tuney4432006-07-15 19:46

    NO,NO, NO--the stance is narrower so it's less likely you won't kill all the different critters running around in the outback--right squizzy--tell us the truth now.:bouncegri :bouncegri

  4. #4Squizzy246B2006-07-15 20:44

    Well, I suppose there is no surer way to quieten down a black snake as to drop your stabilizer on him. The other day I had an angry gecko try and attack me and I sure could have used a backhoe.

  5. #5Deas Plant2006-07-15 20:53

    DownUnder backhoes. Hi, Folks. Most DownUnder backhoes have that vertical outrigger set-up 'cos far and away the great majority of our backhoes are also fitted with side-shift and it's easier to mount the outriggers vertically at the end of the side-shift frame than it is to mount them on the back of the frame to cater for swing-down-and-out outriggers. It's a PITA trying to set up swing-down-and-out outriggers behind a side-shift frame in such a way that they won't eventually foul some part of the side-shift or side-shift plumbing. It's a bit of a trade-off or yer win sum - yer lose sum. You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

  6. #6digger242j2006-07-15 22:05

    And the prize for using the most hyphens (-) in a single post goes to... :notworthy

  7. #7Deas Plant2006-07-15 23:42

    How many??????????? Hi, Digger242j. Didjyer cownt'em???????? I didn't. So what's the record stan dat now? And who's gonna keep score from here on? You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

  8. #8BRL2006-07-16 00:12

    I was thinking about this thread today while I was doing some work where this type of set up would have been real handy. So I can definitely see that certain crowded regions would have a need for it. I had the back hoe between the client's brand new shed & the neighbor's fence & a row of shrubs where the fence ended. Adding to the fun was trying to keep 3 different types of stone & a pile of soil separated from each other while backfilling a wall, prepping a base for the new shed & grading the other side of the wall. Would have been nice to just drop stabilizers where I was instead of moving back & forth a lot to position myself where I could squeeze the outriggers down & make piles more than once, etc. But I can't ever remember another time where it would have been useful to me in the past.

  9. #9digger242j2006-07-16 09:13

    There are 14. The record stands at 14, unless someone wants to dispute that, in which case they're welcome to search the threads and point out a post with more. Nobody is going to keep track. Anybody wants to have a go at a new record they just have to go out and do it, then submit proof...

  10. #10BRL2006-07-16 11:50

    - OK - wise - guy, - you - asked - for - it. - Now - suffer - in - the - pain - of - what - you - started - here. - And - maybe - next - time - you - won't - be - so - quick - to - pick - on - somebody's - post! - :nono FWIW Deas, I thought yer post was great!

  11. #11Electra_Glide2006-07-16 12:15

    Funny, they look pretty mild-mannered in all those Geico comercials...:bouncegri Joe

  12. #12digger242j2006-07-16 12:23

    .....30, 31, 32. But, they were not used in anything that even remotely resembled correct usage, so they're disqualified, and so are you. Just so there's no misunderstanding, I wasn't picking on Deas' post. It's a lot of work to reach up to the top row of the keyboard and hit that hyphen key, when one could so much more easily just bang on the space bar. I was simply giving the post's abundant hyphenation the recognition it deserves. :thumbsup :bouncegri

  13. #13digger242j2006-07-16 12:38

    I wonder if the fellas Down Under, (and the rest of the globe, for that matter), even know what "Geico" is? For those that aren't familiar, here's a link: http://www.geico.com/video/ (Not intended to imply any endorsement of Geico, but I wholeheartedly endorse advertisng that is as varied, brief, and entertaining as Geico's commercial are.) (Does it count as a thread hijack if you go off in six different directions at once, rather than just changing the subject to something different?)

  14. #14Squizzy246B2006-07-16 18:26

    Gecko: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko

  15. #15digger242j2006-07-16 19:12

    A long time ago, when I was a zookeeper (at the real zoo, not this one), we had a Gecko that was part of the Asian Jungle exhbit. It escaped, got into a disagreement with one of the other critters and came out a little worse for the wear (like, it lost two legs and most of its tail), and took up residence in some hidden corner of the building. That all happened some months before I worked in that particular place, and by the time I'd been there for the better part of a year it had been long presumed dead. It wasn't--I spotted it one day hanging around about 3/4 of the way up the wall of one of the back rooms. Heck, as far as I know it may still be living there. Tough little buggers. Never tried to sell me any car insurance though...

  16. #16Jeff D.2006-07-16 19:16

    He musta already known what your driving record looked like then, huh?

  17. #17Orchard Ex2006-07-16 21:20

    Speaking of that damn gecko... Anybody notice that the GEICO Gecko's accent changed a while back? He used to be Aussie, now he sounds more cockney British like Oliver Twist. Whaass up wit dat? He probably operates his fancy euro spec backhoe on the wrong side of the road too... Nope, can't be trusted...

  18. #18digger242j2006-07-16 22:11

    :cool2 Thanks for showing the maturity and self discipline to keep this thread on topic Orchard--we are talking about geckos, not my driving record. If you follow the link I posted, you can see a bunch of the gecko commercials. Maybe Squizzy or Deas can have a listen and tell us how authentic the accent is. Serious question that just occured to me: How much difference is there in the Australian accent from one part of the country to another?

  19. #19Squizzy246B2006-07-17 07:43

    Them Banana Benders always talk a bit funny ay!

  20. #20Orchard Ex2006-07-17 17:21

    I defend the validity of my post on the grounds that it contained the words "Aussie", "backhoe" and "gecko". And somewhere in there one of those was related to this thread:thumbsup On another note "The Backhoe Geckos" would be a good name for a band...:yup

  21. #21Deas Plant2006-07-22 08:27

    Gecko's??????????????????????? Hi, Sqizzy. So where do these little fellas fit in the gecko world????????? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_Dragon Or this fella???????????? http://www.abc.net.au/dinosaurs/fact_files/scrub/diplodocus.htm And did they have outriggers????????????????????? Catchyalater. You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

  22. #22Squizzy246B2006-07-22 08:48

    G,day Deas. That website is not really correct. The biggest lizards in the world can be found in your state...up creeks an stuff...smiling handbags we used to call them when I lived in Cairns. I just wish one of them would do as a favour and eat Steve Irwin. Oh and dinosaurs....is Joh still alive??? Cheers Mate

  23. #23digger242j2006-07-22 09:17

    Ah-Hah!! You told me they'd all been eaten by the Great White Sharks! :yup

  24. #24Squizzy246B2006-07-22 09:24

    Rats!! err...well we had to keep some to keep American TV propped up!...

  25. #25Deas Plant2006-07-22 18:18

    Knott ker-recked. Hi, Squizzy. Minetinkit you bin findim dem smiling handbags bin off-ishully class-ifyed as 'sore Ians' (Oooppss! Just look-ed it-dupp inn mine thee-sore-ass - thatsa dino-sore full uv words disguised azza book.) 'SAURIANS', not geckos, lizards, et al. Orl kum unda der gen-rull class-if-ikay-shun uv repp-tyles butt deyz diff-rent famb-lees. Al's irrigators and Kay's mans bin dun be sore Ians - Oooppss - saurians two. Digger242j, yess thair arr diff-renses in ackscents ackrorse Orz-traily-er but not mar-kedd-lee so, not ee-nuff two bee aybull to say for shore thet sum-buddy kums frum suchunsuch a playse. Thairs ack-shully moor diff-rense inn ther frayz-ee-ologee that is yewzed frum wun playse ter anudder. F'rinstance, in South Orz-traily-er (Where ther crows doo bee flying bass ackwards ter keep ther dust outa thair I's), dale arsk yew, "Where's my hammer at?" or, "What's the time at?" Thad'll branned a Crow Eater ennywhair. West Australians and Queenslanders, Squizzy's mob and mine respectively, do tend to speak a little slower than folks from most of the other states and country folks seem to talk a little slower than city slickers. Guess we just don't have as much crap ter spout. I've also noticed that New South Welsh-folk and Victorians are more likely to try to talk over the top of another person. Guess they figure they're more important than the rest of us. But they ain't. Y'orll have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant. Drat!!!!!!!!!! Fergort ter men-shun Geckos er backhoes.

  26. #26xkvator2006-07-24 01:30

    getting back to the subject... ...for a moment. back a few years, i tried one of the full sized JCB's with the vertical downriggers...not very good for swinging out to the side but i demo'd one of the 208's about 10 years ago...and if it wasn't for the $$$, i think i'd have bought one http://www.jcb.com/(52ob4famksu21455fa0zhlvj)/products/productdetail.aspx?pid=108&rid=14#

  27. #27Bellboy2008-07-28 14:30

    We use the same machines here. Very tricky to get mechanical sideshift right, but I believe that JCB now has an option of automatic sideshift.

  28. #28stock2008-08-09 15:38

    Many moons ago when I first operated piece of plant it was a MF40 torque with 6 levers for the digger service but it had vertical jacks (stabs)we then moved on to a 50 (212 engine) then a 50B then to a 50B series two ,jcb 3ciii back to a massey 50d 50hx ,50hxs(best rubbertyre I ever drove) and now I drive 360 excavators upto 120 ton but in all my years I only ever used a scissors jack once on a john deere and a greater pig of a yoke I have never driven no side shift and wouldnt pull wet snow off a rope and as for the side shift plenty grease and practice,chould never see the need for a side shift ram.:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead