Hey guys Anybody running automatics in their full size dump trucks or even low beds. How do they compare to a standard? I was driving dump truck in the city for a couple weeks and was thinking how nice it would be to have an automatic.
I have automatics in my 98 & 2000 quad dump trucks. They are great to drive and on those short runs, it really saves on the legs (not having to shift gears and press the clutch) I have had no issues with these Allision automatics, Im sure one day something will happen, but Ive replaced a bunch of clutchs and straight shift trannies, so I guess everything breaks. In my applications, the automatics, pulls out of the sandpit quicker, than my 8LL. They dont have that bunny hop, when you are in sandy areas, like the straight shift trannies. Just easier to drive
Marco trucking out of Santa Ana Ca has a couple trucks that I know of with auto and pulling low beds....well I know they did a few years ago since we installed ramps on them. Ill look into it monday.
I grew up driving standard transmission trucks.At 9 years of age I had to drive our old Willys jeep to the bus stop 2 miles through the woods.I sure miss that old jeep. From there we always had stick shift trucks for hauling cattle on the ranch. I prefer a standard trans. Now, I have a Freightliner FL 70 with auto trans and it sure is a lot more convenient overall when pulling my equipment.
i'm very happy and spoiled by the automatic in my 4500. i know it's not the biggest truck but it is a dump and auto. good luck,
We have a mid sized sterling tandem axle, 12 yd dump. Good little truck. Plated for 60,000 lbs. My only complaint is the engine/transmission combo seems to be under powered. I dont think the auto allison puts the power to the ground like a manual, but it gets the job done. Not out of the ordinary for us to have a trailer with a s300 bobcat, and 331 bobcat mini hoe, a few attachments, and a bed full of material. She is not the fastest when loaded up, but she gets the job done.
Sounds like my story, I have a 2008 Freightliner, 60,000lb gvw with i believe an Allison 3000. Its really nice to drive, but Ive encountered a job site where it won't make it up a hill with a full load of gravel. It hunkers down to first then im guessing the torque converter just slips and it doesnt go anywhere. Anyone have any ideas? Or is that just life with an auto?
What kind of motor and HP? A 3000RDS is a rather small for 60K GVW regardless of the literature. I had a Mack with 405HP and a 4500RDS and it was a work horse. It was a tri-axle that grossed 80K (which is legal for a tri-axle on AL secondary roads) many times. The truck toted the load well, never had any problems. An auto dump makes a good on-site truck as well, I used that truck to move many a CY on-site. I also used it to move the 953, 315, D5 ect - all in an urban setting, stop and go traffic. The auto takes the chore out of driving and I really don't ever want a manual dump again. We are running two Macks with 400HP and 4500RDS on hook-lifts. I would never even consider a manual after driving and using autos for refuse work either. The ability to run the hook, spot the can and not have to worry about a clutch and gear shift is very efficient. The auto takes away the knee fatigue and allows you to get an extra load in very now and then. One of the funnest things to do unloaded at a red light is take off the line and beat the other traffic in the other 2 lanes, you get some strange looks from the other drivers. Of course this doesn't pay the bills but you gotta have some fun every now and then.:cool2
Thats good to hear. Its a cummins ISC 300hp. Definitely underpowered, but it usually does the job! I just talked to the Allison dealer and he seemed to think somethings wrong.
Running Mack 18 speeds and Fuller 10 with deep reduction here. Wouldn't have anything else. Never been much of a fan of 8LL's. Plow snow with a Ford F350 with a 7.3 and a six speed as well as an Oshkosh with a 5 and a 4. Only automatic ever had in a truck was in a Ford F250 and hated the bloody thing with a passion. Nine miles to a gallon, would not put the power to the ground period. First, last and only automatic I will ever have in an automatic.