I saw this truck on the internet for sale. Thought I would ask for opinions about it. How about a Cummins 444? Good or bad things please, Hiab Truck 1991 Western Star. 252,000 kms. flat deck, 444 Cummins, new transmission, new brakes, uni-lug pilot hubs, dual air lockers, new rear ends, new clutch, new rad, brand new heavy chrome bumper, aluminum wheels, Viva loader with winch sold and serviced by Wajax, 32 ft reach, 13500 lb lift capacity, swing seals just done, runs excellent, good looking truck, $14,000 I am thinking the deck and Hiab would be good to have. I also have a Case135 excavator and 20 ton tiltdeck to pull. Would it be possible to have a dump box on this truck? Adapt the deck or swap back and forth from one to another? It would have to be a lower, smaller box. Would greatly increase my work opportunities if I could somehow have both the deck and a dump box. Opinions please! Thanks, Tim
Anything is possible for the right $$, Check out the age of the crane and see if parts are still readily available. The truck looks good but you should have someone check it over for you.:canada
It would be a great candidate for a hook lift system...
I'm out of my league here but you might want to look at the "slightly bent Hino" thread below. It just looks like it might need a drop axle :beatsme
I'd be a little concerned about this truck's tare weight verses it's maximum allowable load. It doesn't appear that there would be a lot of margin for payload.
That is a good point about the tare weight. I haven't been able to contact the owner yet. Asking what the rating of the front end is would be important. A hook lift system would be a great idea. Cost could be too high to do it though. There is a tandem 95 Ford hooklift truck with 2- 40 yard bins, 2- 20 yard bins and a 24 ft deck for sale for $68,000. That is too much for me to spend on spec without solid income coming in.