Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Autonomous (thermocouple) cyl-head temp system for air-cooled engine?

towbar · 2024-03-02 14:43

I'm looking for one or more thermocouple (washer or probe type) cyl-head temp sensor/indicator gizmos for a Deutz 912. The probe removed has a bayonet connector-catching contact so it's pbably a thermal resitor. What I'm after is one that requires no electricity, with 3-5 feet of wire plus a gauge, all of it with a solid garantee from brand-name maker.

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2024-03-02 21:21

    I found a murphy gauge that fit, or wasn't hard to adapt, can't remember exactly. You have six cylinder heads, dual gauges seems like a reasonable backup if you can't find a Deutz branded sensor.

  2. #2towbar2024-03-03 07:48

    I have an unused one from them still in the box, made for water-cooled diesels I think. Many of the ones they make don't come with the type of gauge I want: 3" round with bold needle(s) and lables. There are tons of relatively cheap thermocouple probes around but you have to attach them to a mickey-mouse digital gauge, another definite no-no . Firing an email off to Murphy might be an idea I'll follow up on later today. There are also some capillary types, never used one of these before but my confidence is really highest in thermocouple washers, the wires never leak, they're easy toi coil if too long, no other source of power required, etc.

  3. #3Delmer2024-03-03 09:34

    You're right, the murphy was for a deutz, definitely different than water cooled. It has a high temp shut off switch, but it's only 2" and no bold needles or clear labels. The back up was a cheapo thermocouple, but it's not digital, similar 2" dial gauge.

  4. #4towbar2024-03-03 15:42

    We both have the wires crosed today What I remembered as a wrong gauge for a water cooled engine is exactly what you cited: https://www.murcal.com/20TH-320-10-M10-Cylinder-Head-Temperature-Swichgage Has the switch too, but it's pretty hard to read unless it's on the panel in front of your nose. I should have a reply from Enovation (makers of Murphy) next week but expect no major revelations.

  5. #5towbar2024-03-05 19:50

    How do you set the horn switch? I don't wanna force it and break it, there's two external studs on the front glass.

  6. #6DDoug2024-03-05 20:06

    The ultralight airplane people IIRC have air cooled engine temp gages. Instruments - Avionics & Instrumentation Leading Edge Air Foils Online Store www.leadingedgeairfoils.com

  7. #7towbar2024-03-06 16:23

    thanks, this one is interesting: 3-1/8" Square Single CHT Kit for Rotax 2-Stroke, Imported - Instruments - Avionics & Instrumentation Single CHT Gauge and Sender
    Range: 100-700°F Includes 14mm CHT Sender www.leadingedgeairfoils.com I'm also looking at using my existing Murhy gauge on Cyl-1 (hottest) with cheap digital ones using system 12v on all cylinders, confidence in the latter resting on the Murphy.