Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Storage

Acoals · 2024-02-28 09:44

I am looking into setting up fuel storage at my shop, something like two tanks, one for off road and one for road fuel. What are the legal requirements for this? Double wall vs single wall? Some seem to say that farm use allows a single wall, while other commercial use requires a double wall or single with containment.

Replies32
  1. #1IceHole2024-02-28 11:16

    Whatever rules will be a local or state thing. DEC or fire marshal Around here, there's hundreds and hundreds of ~300-500 gallon single wall tanks feeding heaters. Double wall is nice, but $$. Mine is a 1000 gallon single wall. 1/4" thick though.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-02-28 12:31

    In my experience, it’s often the Fire Marshal or your insurance company who are most interested in your tank. What capacity are you considering? Some random thoughts: Double wall, STI type tanks hold their residual value, well. Put your tank on “wheels” and enjoy the AST regulatory loopholes regarding on-site fuel storage. Like a Western Global Trans Cube. UN 31 A/Y 350 or 550 gallon stainless iBC tanks make great fuel storage for “cheap”. Don’t purchase a new one, purchase a lease tank or one that needs a retest or a minor repair. Often a better option, than a rolled mild steel 12ga one from the feed store.

  3. #3Tugger22024-02-28 12:51

    My shop diesel tank is 500 gallon single wall.i built a containment tank for it ,just a box using 1/4" plate 125% of the round tank capacity. And I keep it under cover.Its worked for me for many years .

  4. #4Acoals2024-02-28 12:53

    1) What is AST? 2) What are the regulations that there are loopholes too? 3) What are the loopholes? I like loopholes. 4) I have a crummy trailer or two laying around, suppose I park on it something like this: Newberry Single Wall Farm Skid Tank (45 1/2" Diameter) - 1000 Gallon This is the Newberry Single Wall Farm Skid Tank - 1000 Gallon. Single wall, standard construction small tanks are often used for farm, irrigation, and other non-commercial uses. Features & Benefits... www.tankandbarrel.com

  5. #5Coaldust2024-02-28 13:24

    #tank life. I’m just using the lingo to sound cool. AST is above ground storage tank. Vs a UST, or a portable tank. All have rules to follow. But, put that AST on a road legal trailer, and it’s no longer a AST. You can’t tow it with product,…… The assumption is temporary job site fuel storage. It’s a regulatory grey area. Now, if you tried to rub your Fire Marshal’s nose in the matter, I’m sure the municipality or powers that be could find something. But, that’s how fuel distributors get around the AST requirements for supplying a tank to a customer, in a regulatory rich environment, for full service.

  6. #6Coaldust2024-02-28 13:47

    Really comes down to two choices. Can either spend the dough for a UL142/NFPA30 double wall or purchase a non-spec 12 gauge. Either one can be the right choice. Our HEF brethren are very creative with their storage tanks. And that’s cool. I cringe at some of the stuff people post, because of my first hand experience with spill response and the economics of clean-up.

  7. #7AllDodge2024-02-28 14:26

    Probably against the rules but I have a 300 Gal plastic Tote sitting inside my Barn on top a empty one. Truck that fills it has never said anything

  8. #8IceHole2024-02-28 16:49

    Didn't know that about tank on wheels. One place I worked at, that's what they had until last year when a big $$ tank setup was put in by Inlet. Computer fob things, the whole works. A huge PITA as lot of us are "temp" workers and they only gave codes to maybe 10 full time folks. I end up just parking it and writing it up for low fuel.

  9. #9IceHole2024-02-28 16:53

    Probably won't unless it's a ridiculous setup as it's not their problem. I don't have any requirements at work for filling lube tanks. Passes the "looks sound and holds fluid" test, good to go.

  10. #10IceHole2024-02-28 16:57

    During the earthquake a guy I know had hit tank fall over and drain out. He made the mistake of filling out forms for earthquake aid (whatever it was called, forgot now) and mentioned ~250 gals of fuel drained. Before he knew it, his yard was dug up and he was handed a $40,000 bill, which was what the earthquake aid didn't cover. Fuel company spilled ~30 gallons at another place I worked this fall. Overflowed the tank. That was $80k to clean up.

  11. #11Acoals2024-02-28 17:08

    So what exactly are the "Rules to follow"? I kind of deduce that single wall tanks, what I think you are referring to as "Non-spec 12ga tanks" are not really legal, unless in a farming application? (Or sitting on a trailer)

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-02-28 17:30

    That falls under above ground old stove oil tanks. Which those are common for use in shops to store bulk oil.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-02-28 19:13

    If your tank is for personal domestic use, there are not any legalities. Unless a spill happens. Commercial use is a different story. The rules are NFPA30. UL142 spec tanks are built to NFPA30 specs. One trade organization, STI, created the commonly used inspection protocol to “certify” NFPA30 tanks. I have more to say about that, later. Meanwhile, this lovely lady shows us how a simple trash bag can be used for gasoline storage.

  14. #14Coaldust2024-02-28 19:55

    Probably a unit I assembled. SkyBitz Smart Tank. Not a huge fan of SkyBitz, but managers and bean counters love the data.

  15. #15Coaldust2024-02-28 19:58

    This ol’e boy just uses a tarp and the bed of his reliable pickup to store his bulk fuel.

  16. #16Coaldust2024-02-28 20:11

    Look at all the reported HHO ( home heat oil) releases. I’m super careful about home heat tanks. That’s a terrible thing to tag your property with and rough on G-Maws vegetable patch. PPR Spill Search The Division of Spill Prevention and Response (SPAR) prevents spills of oil and hazardous substances, prepares for when a spill occurs and responds rapidly to protect human health and the environment. dec.alaska.gov

  17. #17PeterG2024-02-28 20:58

    How many gallons do you need/use? I took a truck transfer tank and mounted that onto a custom steel skid with lifting loops. It has a 20 gallon Fillrite pump, filter, and gauge, and a 12 volt deep cycle battery and extra long hose. Mostly used in the shop/storage area, but sometimes mounted on my equipment trailer or in my truck, or left at a residential job site. This is just for my mini excavators and track loaders. Too small for me to fill my Kenworth and International up. However, now I find I don't use it much as I already have transfer tanks in my service truck.

  18. #18IceHole2024-02-28 22:49

    Uses little yellow fobs. Thinking Pussi (hehehe) but I might be wrong. Metal box you scan the fob after typing employee ID and it asks for truck miles then turns on the pumps. I found out Inlet did it cause several Signature guys had sweatshirts that winter. I was like ***, I work for the place and don't even have a shirt! Apparently spending big bucks on tanks included a couple shirts We use SkyBits on some lube tanks but man it's like pulling teeth to get them. Have a customer that uses around 15,000 gallons of 15w40 a year and still haven't been able to get a monitor for the tank... it's one they usually wait till it's blowing air to call and I get busy and don't get a chance to go check every few days.

  19. #19IceHole2024-02-28 22:52

    Crowley knocked off the copper feed pipe to the Toyo on a rental and it slowly drained the tank. The shop has a window facing that was and I thought it was strange the snow was melting so fast... till the renter called saying no heat. Had smelled diesel a bit at the shop, but all sorts of equipment around, so wasn't an unusual smell. Wouldn't believe how well the grass grows there now. May as well dumped fertilizer.

  20. #20Coaldust2024-02-29 00:15

    I crawled into a beautiful, clean, 5300 gallon T11 today, in dedicated diesel service. 6mm Stainless steel. You all know that I’m often critical of questionable, Chinese manufacturing, but Bo & Chen, in Nantong, weld one helluva tank. Makes sense, Bo has been laying rod since he was five years old. Snake belly’s all day. Ol’e Chen ain’t no slouch, either. That boy can stack dimes.

  21. #21Acoals2024-02-29 07:43

    What is the difference between single and double wall then? I see this tank is single wall but apparently is certified to the UL142 standard: Newberry Single Wall Skid Tank (UL142) - 550 Gallon This is the Newberry Single Wall Skid Tank - 550 Gallon. Available in either single-wall & dual-wall aboveground skid tanks meet Underwriters' Laboratories UL-142 specification for Aboveground Stor... www.tankandbarrel.com When is a double walled tank required? I mean, up to this point I always double the grocery bags when I use them to haul fuel to my excavator. I am excited to learn that maybe I could economize and just use single bags, I could haul much more fuel. There would be room in the car for more if the kids carried bags on their laps . . .

  22. #22Oxbow2024-02-29 09:11

    On one of our projects there was a requirement to construct a temporary fuel containment area for fuel storage, even if it was on wheels. This would have involved excavating a mild pit, putting a liner down, covering with gravel, etc. I found this tank used and presented it to the engineers as a possible option to the containment. The engineers accepted the alternative and I headed to Denver and bought it. $3000 plus the trip to go get it. No idea what they cost new. It has a steel tank with some sort of membrane liner outside of the tank, and encased it concrete. We have taken it to several projects since then and the first one paid for it, so it has been a good solution for us. About the only problem is it weighs 18,000 lbs. empty.

  23. #23Coaldust2024-02-29 14:25

    The difference being the single wall would need containment to be a true 142 installation. My guess.

  24. #24IceHole2024-02-29 14:57

    On tank subject, there a good source for 3 or 4" tank caps? My tank has a "standard" 2" cap and I keep being told it's small and makes it a bit hard to fill. It's a 4" pipe that has a 4" to 3" reducer, then a 3" to 2" bushing. Used to be like 3ft tall, I cut the 4" pipe down.

  25. #25Coaldust2024-02-29 15:18

    I like to use these Dixon PC-SS series transport caps. They are straight pipe and seal with a teflon gasket. You can leash them, too. They seal good without the need to torque down tapered threads. Easy to remove. I purchase them from Werts Welding in Billings. They can ship usps priority flat rate box since they are next door to the post office. Stainless, aluminum or brass. Other companies besides Dixon, too. Or, get a #150 black pipe cap from Amazon for $25 free shipping. The pipe place in ANC hates dealing with onesies & twosie orders and will rape you psychologically, economically and spiritually.

  26. #26.RC.2024-02-29 16:39

    I find it interesting the different things done in different countries. Over here you can get plastic diesel fuel storage tanks, and plenty of people use small plastic diesel cartage tanks in the back of their work vehicle to fill up their machine. Bare Diesel Tanks - Round - Nu-Tank Bare Diesel Tanks - Round From Nu-Tank. Australian-Made, Queensland-Owned - Clean, Strong & Reliable. Get A Quote Today! nutank.com.au

  27. #27Coaldust2024-02-29 17:11

    Yes, that is interesting. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Took me awhile to figure out what continent you are on. That’s what I like about the HEF.

  28. #28donkey doctor2024-03-01 10:57

    I just had to have my furnace oil tank removed. Insurance company said 10 years and it had to go or they would cancel my house insurance. Couldn't remove it myself even though I worked around diesel equipment for 40 years. Had to be done by the furnace service guys with a invoice to prove it. $525 later. This tank was only 100 gallons was sitting in a containment tray and had a ball valve on the vent to prevent it from "breathing" warm moist air in the off season and getting condensation in it which of coarse causes corrosion. Got a heat pump now. Best thing since sliced bread and no worries about a multi thousands of dollars clean up bill not to mention the possibility of my well or my neighbors well getting contaminated. Insurance company did me a favor I guess. d.d.

  29. #29IceHole2024-03-01 15:27

    So you had a pressure vessel with no relief? I'd have fired the insurance company. They work for you, not the other way around.

  30. #30Coaldust2024-03-01 18:05

    Good point. Especially, if the tank received sunlight.

  31. #31Steve Frazier2024-03-01 21:12

    I don't know what the rules require but you want to take every precaution to avoid an uncontrolled leak. Cleanup costs are astronomical! I'm not sure if this is a state or federal law, but if you have a combined amount of 1000 gallons or more on one location there's a bunch of paperwork involved in keeping logs, the theory being if numbers don't match you go looking for a leak. I'm in NY, not sure it applies elsewhere.

  32. #32IceHole2024-03-02 03:16

    Don't think that's a thing here. At one job i work, we have 3 tanks, they are 3k gallon each I believe. Double wall though, but nothing special done to them. They aren't even placarded.