Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aux Hydraulic Coupler size

cheddarbob56 · 2026-03-16 18:10

Hey everyone - Bought a JD 624G last year that has auxiliary hydraulics on the machine. It's got piping/hoses down the arm and the steel lines are capped. I want to add hoses and quick couplers to the JRB coupler on the machine for a grapple. I'm thinking flat face couplers..... is there a common "wheel loader" size of coupler? Skid steers are pretty standardized on size, I wasn't aware of a standard size for wheel loaders though. If there isn't really I'll just put on what makes sense for me, just thought if I were to ever borrow or rent an attachment that needed hydraulics it would work. Anyone know if there's a "normal" or "standard"? Thanks! Chris

Replies7
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-03-17 03:43

    Quick connects are based on the hydraulic flow. Something like grapple is only used intermittently so could use a smaller size. I'd guess 1/2" would be OK but check the flow rating. You probably want at least 15 GPM to be safe. I'd guess the machine is 25 GPM or more.

  2. #2cuttin edge2026-03-17 07:03

    Be careful borrowing or renting attachments. We had 2 skid steers that shared attachments but had different hydraulic oil. Ended up with a contamination issue. Most rental stores should flush oil out of their attachments but you never know

  3. #3southernman132026-03-17 08:25

    Well I’ve hit the wrong button and can’t get rid of these quotes up here lol but any way we have same machine and Fixin to do the same thing. We had a Komatsu WA 270 previously with a grapple rake on it and it had fittings like you would find on a semi trailer with a PTO connection. They were big, but they were not flat faced. It’s like a pioneer type fitting if that helps but like said, it’s a temporary operation and I can’t imagine that you would have to have that much flow. I would think the larger flat face fittings like you find on a high flow skid steer would work as well. I may even try that on the powers once I get my rake.

  4. #4southernman132026-03-17 08:27

    The that on ours is what I meant to say

  5. #5cuttin edge2026-03-17 08:51

    We went with a spin on coupler for the loaders. In the beginning, it was because of issues with the hydraulics heating. Our shoulder spreader would heat the loaders hydraulics. Never issues with any other attachments only the spreader. Once we switched to that type there were no more problems. They are actually easier to use and fewer leaks. I would just match the size of the fittings to the size of the steel lines

  6. #6Diesel Dave2026-03-17 09:38

    The 624G aux lines terminate as -16 ORFS male. For reference only, Adaptall offers a one piece solid (JIC male to ORFS female) adapter fitting # 6620-12-16. Put an oring at the bottom of the JIC so it will accept a -12 female ORB coupler of your preference.

  7. #7cheddarbob562026-03-17 09:44

    Awesome information Diesel Dave! I was pretty sure they were -16 ORFS but hadn't taken the cap off yet. I like that adapter, I'll get that and go to a 3/4" hose with JIC ends, 3/4" flat face body couplers and be set!