I have a case 9010b it is plumbed at the boom with a hammer line. In the cab there is a switch to turn it on an off and a small foot pedal that is a single direction (not a rocker). Can this be altered to make it a 2 way system capable of running a hydraulic thumb? Thanks.
That would be hard for us to answer as we don't know all the components on your machine that's operating a single acting aux circuit. It does sound like an aftermarket add on system as the original Case aux circuit use a hyd pilot foot pedal control to operate the aux circuit. However, if the aux circuit is being supplied by main control valve, and that valve is a 4 way valve section, it is possible to make it a double acting circuit to operate a thumb, but it's going to take some money as there will have to be valve and piping changes. I would suggest contacting Bobby Hudson at Hydraulic Circuit Technology as they have more experience with these systems. http://www.hctkits.com/
Thank you, I can try to get a little more info on the what is currently installed on the machine. I believe the peddle is electric over hydraulic.
Yes, the pedal you're describing is a foot switch, it likely operates a solenoid valve which sends pilot pressure to the aux section of main control valve. I can't say for certain that's what it's doing, saying it's the likely arrangement. The other thing I'm saying this is not the OEM Case system, it's something that's been added to the machine. Additionally, if it's a quality solenoid valve system it would have a flow control to adjust the flow output of the line for breaker. These are complex systems, a bit more to it than simply stepping on a pedal to send oil out a line. To change it to a double acting circuit would first require that the aux section of main control valve be a 4 way valve, which it might very well be, but it's lacking the pilot control for one side of the valve. This would require replacing the current solenoid valve with a 4 way solenoid valve. Also changes in piping at the main control valve. I really suggest you contact some company like HCT if you want change your system to double acting because they have the experience and components you need to make these changes.
Ok, thanks again for the help and quick response.